is it uh possible to download tooo much?

Discussion in 'The Sims 1' started by carebear151, Nov 26, 2002.

1. carebear151

carebear151 New Member

is it uh possible to download tooo much?

ok i been downloadin a whole buncha stuff for the sims and ive been playing it but everytime i go to save it it crashes and wont save before i started downloading stuff it didnt do it but does that mean i cant downloadddd anything at all if i wanna play??? i ran that file thing to check to see if my zips were ok and it said they were so what else can i do? please someone give me some advice

2. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Benevolent Dictator Staff Member

Carebear,

please PM me a new username. I won't accept usernames that promote drugs.

3. Droz

Droz New Member

The best way to figure out which one is givin you the problem is to uninstall all of them and then load each individually until you find the culprit (I do this with everything I download). Oh, and make sure to back-up your files so that they don't get corrupted.

4. carebear151

carebear151 New Member

yeah i was thinking about doing that but im to lazy thanx for responding though droz :)

sorry mr manager :p

5. Helén

Helén Posting Queen

Yes, Carebear. Unfortunately your name really startled me. I've seen enough of drugs and what they can do to a person in my line of profession. I've also seen people die from it... It was no fun at all, I can tell you that.
    Please carebear get anothere name, or wy not just take off the to last words?
    "Carebear" sounds very nice to me. :classic:

6. ManagerJosh

carebear, if you PM me a new username that you want, I'll have it changed for you.

7. carebear151

carebear151 New Member

sorry it was just thing my friend made up and i thought it was funny ill think about changin it if it po's that many ppl lol:bunny:

8. carebear151

carebear151 New Member

shooootmeeeeee

ok i gots another problem i installed hotdate and it worked the first time but now when i play it it only loads to the start up screen and then i end up waiting for 10 hours and its still sittin there loading

9. Tweety

Tweety New Member

Are you sure it didn't freeze on you? I've had that happen to me lots of times, so now what I do is press "Alt" and "Tab" when I get to the spinning EA logo, which minimizes that window. That way, I can wait for the game to load and go on the internet at the same time, because when the game's done loading, it automatically brings itself back up to the neighbourhood screen. Hope that fixes your problem. :)

10. carebear151

carebear151 New Member

yea i think that was it i got it to work now though thanx babe

11. LordBrain515

LordBrain515 New Member

The more downloads you have, the longer it takes for the game to load. I've recently been removing a lot of my downloads to make the game load faster...mainly ones I don't use very often... It helps a lot...

12. VanDeGraff

VanDeGraff New Member

slow startups

Yes, downloads of any kind slow down the startup, especially on XP. on my old gray haired motherboard, every new expansion pack slows things down also. Hey have you noticed this. When I ALT_TAB it seems the game actually loads faster , even if i'm running something else. Not sure why, but maxis says not to use ALT_TAB like we do. it might have something to do with the TMP files that the Sims creates .. (you notice those on a ctrl_alt_del , check running processes)

13. ManagerJosh

a possibility is to get a faster hard drive (one that operates at 7200RPM)
    I noticed a big gameplay improvement when I changed from a 5400 to a 7200.

14. VanDeGraff

VanDeGraff New Member

Hardware

A Faster RPM on the hard drive will help. It's the same as spinning a record faster than the rated RPM, the data reads faster, but in the drive's case, is built to read it that way. I may be wrong, but I think the 7200 drives have bigger buffer capacity onboard as well. The new ones have DMA features also, which means they send straight to your RAM rather than dealing with the rest of the system.
    Be aware that you must ask about this when you visit your computer store. After several minutes of conversation at staples, I learned even the 40 GB size comes in both RMP speeds. IF you ask enough they'll generally suggest the faster speed. The only issue is checking your computer BIOS if your system is as old as mine.
    RAM usually helps too, but I dont understand why it doesnt help all people.

15. ManagerJosh

7200 have around a 2MB cache buffer. All newer hard drives are DMA :)

They sometimes go under the name Ultra ATA or UATA or UDMA :)

16. Helén

Helén Posting Queen

*Thinks she will be pretty well off ones her upgrades are completed* :classic:

17. FaeLuna

FaeLuna The One and Only

...still saving up for a new computer with higher speed! This is good to know too though, I'll have to remember to add it to the list of stuff we're looking for in a new computer! I know I want GIGA-hertz and not Megahurtz this time!! ;)

18. coco60

coco60 New Member

ok. i don't get it. "carebear" is something to do with drugs? how? i guess we just don't have that kind of slang where i cum from

19. Helén

Helén Posting Queen

Carebear.
    It was the additional part to your name you had the very first days. I know I got very startled as I've been working in areas where there were a lot of drugaddicts, so I'm familiar with most
    of the names of drugs, even is it was many years ago. As it is now I think it's fine. :classic:

20. lewdini

lewdini Moderate Sith Lord

I thought they were cuddly bears with some pics on their tummy?