Laura Bones

Discussion in 'The Sims 2' started by person123, Oct 12, 2005.

1. person123

person123 Frumpy McDoogle!

Laura Bones

Since I'm feeling a little left out with everyone's stories, I've decided to try to make one on my own. Don't expect me to post everyday, though...

Laura Bones, once the most popular, richest girl at her school, once proud valedictorian of Klara's Private Institute for Education, was staring at her new house in both disgust, and awe at having gotten it for such a low price. She looked around, hoping that none of her old schoolmates lived in the small town at the foothills of Chartreua Mountain, and entered the cottage, grimacing a little at the slightly pungent smell of the interior. It wasn't bad, she supposed, but she was used to so much better. She lugged her suitcase up the crickety stairs, remembering her old Louis-Vitton luggage set and sighing--she'd had to sell it on eBay for enough money to buy the cottage and groceries for a couple of months. Flopping onto the mattress that she'd had to move by herself into the room, she almost immediately fell asleep, dreaming about the day her life had come crashing down around her...

Laura stepped through the front door of their enormous mansion, dropping her bag unceremoniously onto the floor and calling, "Mom, I'm home from school!" When she didn't hear an echoing answer, she frowned and curiously went up the grand staircase to the master bedroom where her mother usually wrote her best-selling novels. Instead of the sight of the older woman clickety-clacking away at her labtop in the windowseat, she was greeted with a strange scene: her mother and father huddled on the bed, weeping silently.
    "Mom? Dad?"
    The copper-haired, middle-aged man looked up, his normally sparkling green eyes hollow and dull. "Laura? You're home already?"
    "Yeah, the newspaper club was cancelled because Mrs. Gonzez had a meeting. Ashley's dad took me home." Ashley had been in her tight circle of friends in high school; her father was the CEO of EA Games. "What's wrong?"
    "W-We have something to tell you, dear." This time her mother spoke, her voice wavering. "Your father's c-company was sued."
    Laura's eyes widened in shock. "What? Why?" Her father had been the head of the Valerie Wrights Publishing company, and was the one who published her mother's books--that was how they'd met.
    "One of the books was mixed up, and they put the cover for 'Dreams' onto 'Bertram and Love'."
    The girl inhaled sharply. 'Dreams' was a short novel about a middle school girl moving across the country because of her father's job--it appealed to preteen girls. 'Bertram and Love', however, was a book written for adults, with inappropriate content.
    "Apparently 3 million copies of 'Dreams' were sold in the first 5 hours, and a few days later parents began to sue our company. We're bankrupt. We've lost the mansion, most of our property...you won't be able to go to Harvard anymore."
    Laura's ears had gone deaf already. Her blood was rushing up to her head, and before she knew it her mind blanked out.

Laura awoke with a start, sweating profusely and looking around her surroundings, half expecting to be in her mother and father's old bedroom, with their concerned faces hovering above her own. She gulped in deep breaths, feeling the air pour into her lungs like liquid, and ran her hand through her hair, checking her watch. It was already 10:00 pm, and she stumbled through brushing her teeth and changing before collapsing mattress, falling asleep instantly.

2. jupitershana

jupitershana Kitty Fanatic!

Great start! I can't wait to read your updates. I'm glad you decided to start a story thread of your own.

3. Lynet

Lynet New Member

Wow! :cool: Very cool.

4. kuponutty

kuponutty Confused little moogle

It must be hard giving up the glory. Does she live alone in the cottage or with her parents?

5. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

Hai carumba! What literary style you got kiddo! This is rich and inciteful stuff and no mistake. I am hooked already. I hope that you plan to make writing a career because you have the craft off pat right now! Who are (have been) your influences? Please keep this up! :D

6. surprised_by_witches

surprised_by_witches Sleep deprived

Please keep writing, whether here or for yourself. You've got talent!

7. person123

She lives alone. Her parents...well, as the story goes you'll find out. Also, she's not really all that snobby, but she's used to an easy life. Mirelly, all I've done is read books. Read, read, read. I've been reading novels since 2nd grade because of my older sister's influence. My mom's always yelling at me--my eyesight has gone down the drain, and I'll be needing glasses soon--but I always tell her that either you have a daughter with good vocabulary and writing skills and glasses, or you have a daughter without glasses and absolutely no talent in the writing department. Yeah, occasionally I allow my all of my awesome talents to go to my head. :rolleyes: Anyway, I'll be posting more later today--thank you, all of the Jewish people on this forum, for giving us a holiday!

8. person123

A week had passed since Laura had moved into her new house, and she'd gotten a job as a tutor for children in elementary school. It didn't pay much--only $25 an hour--but she was slowly gaining money for furnishing her house. Her students were quite bratty, and after only a few study sessions, she'd taken to bringing Aspirin along in her purse. Now she was getting ready to visit her parents.
    She rummaged through her suitcase, looking for a suitable outfit. They usually became very distressed if she showed up in casual wear. She donned one of the pantsuits that she'd saved from her old home and got into her second-hand car, sneezing at the musky odor wafting from the coffee stain on the backseat. Laura put the key into the ignition and waited a few moments for the engine to warm up. She checked her watch impatiently. It was 11:00 am. Visiting hours at the Institute started at 12:00 pm, but it always took fifteen minutes to start the car. She usually turned it on before she even got dressed, but she'd forgotten that morning. Now she'd be late!
    Quite suddenly, the car jumped and began to vibrate with life, and she twisted the steering wheel deftly while the car crunched over the gravel. She headed off towards the highway.

Laura stepped out of the car, having to slam the door twice before it'd close. She hurried to the shiny glass doors of the hospital, her heels clicking loudly on the marble floors.
    "I'm here for Mr. and Mrs. Bones, room 347." The woman sitting behind the desk nodded without looking up, her eyes on the monitor in front of her.
    Laura slipped into the elevator, pressing the button for the third level inspecting her once impeccably manicured nails, picking a piece of grit from underneath one. She nervously brushed her hair out of her eyes and when the doors slid open, she hurried out, checking the numbers above the doors mentally. You've come here for years now, and you still don't know the way? she scolded herself, frowning. When she reached the door with the plaque saying '347' on it, she stopped, applying another layer of lip gloss on her lips and adjusting her jacket. She took a deep breath and opened the door.
    The room inside was painted bright yellow, with many potted plants arranged on the windowsills and endtables. There were four beds side by side along one wall of the room, and the other wall was lined with bookshelves and couches. She walked to the third bed and sat down slowly, watching the pale woman lying in the bed, typing on her laptop. The woman looked up slowly, her greying blonde hair pulled into an tight bun, without one strand loose.
    "You're late," the woman's voice cracked, and she looked up from the monitor. "I wanted you to look over my latest story outline." She turned the monitor around to face Laura, and the younger woman felt a lump form in her throat. The screen was covered in random words and numbers, making no sense.
    "It's great Mom. Sure to be a bestseller."
    "That's what I thought," her mother said, smiling warmly. She put the laptop aside and asked, "How's high school going? I see you've changed out of your uniform already."
    Tears formed in Laura's eyes, and she silently cursed herself for losing her composure so quickly. "It's--it's great. I got an 115 on my social studies test."
    Her mother grinned proudly. "That's my girl! Why don't you go say hi to your father, he's home early from work. He's bound to be in the study." Without another word her mother took the laptop into her lap again and began typing.
    Laura stood up and walked around the bed to the window next to the fourth bed, where a man was standing with his hands folded behind his back. He was looking at the gardens arranged around the hospital, watching the other patients planting.
    "Hey, Dad," she greeted, placing a hand gingerly on his shoulder. He turned around quickly, his eyebrows knitted together in alarm, but quickly relaxed when he saw his daughter standing before him. He wrapped his arms around her tightly, patting her back, before standing back, smiling brightly.
    "Today one of my interns spilled coffee all over my suit! It's probably stained forever." He chuckled lightly, and Laura grinned weakly. "Why don't you go do your homework, all right?"
    Laura nodded and left, waving to him before she closed the door to the room behind her. She shut her eyes tightly when he was out of sight and leaned against the door for support, tears flowing freely now. She took deep breaths for a while, calming herself, before squaring her shoulders and making her way down the hallway to the elevator.

Second part done! Next post I'll post pictures.

9. person123

Since my brother keeps kicking me off right when I start typing up a new chapter, I'll just post a picture of Laura. I've stopped using the ingame camera pictures because it just takes way too long to sort through all of the snapshots--I must have at least a thousand. Besides, if I were one of the readers I would be dying to see a picture of her! That's what I hate about novels--no pictures! What's so childish about liking pictures in books?

The picture is a little dark, but you can still see her, right? With this new downloaded medium skintone, suddenly that bright pink lipstick that I used to think looked horribly obnoxious looks really pretty! I also used Helaene's eyeliner, because I'm a sucker for nice makeup like that. Laura used to have shiny pink lip gloss from Helaene but I decided to try to make more conventional sims.

Attached Files:

10. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

What great freckles! :D

11. kuponutty

Who's the guy she really likes?

12. person123

...the who? Did I mention a guy? Well, you asked it just in time, because here's the next installment of Laura Bones's story! And it includes "the guy she really likes", I suppose.

For the next few days Laura did things in a routine: wake up, brush her teeth, take a shower, eat breakfast, go to work, eat lunch, come back from work, eat dinner, study, brush her teeth, go to bed. She didn't talk with anyone but her colleagues, and only then she needed to ask questions about work. She stopped doing the things she used to love, like reading, writing, (it seemed she inherited some talent from her mother) cooking, and painting. That is, until she met Komei Tellerman.
    Laura was eating brunch at one of the cafes near the Graderon Learning Center, when a red-headed man sat down at the table right next to her own. She merely glanced at him before returning to her food. However, his voice jarred her out of her daze, and she frowned, looking up again.
    "Excuse me, which dish are you eating? It looks delicious." He grinned charmingly, and Laura found herself smiling as well despite herself.
    Um, the salmon fillet. Laura gulped audibly, feeling butterflies forming in her stomach. When was the last time I felt this way? Im like a silly teenager again! She shook herself and smiled more firmly, offering her hand for him to shake. My name is Laura Bones. Yours?
    Komei Tellerman. Instead of shaking her hand Komei gently brushed his lips across her fingers.
    Laura blushed and immediately snatched her hand away, looking at her plate and missing the mans amused expression.
    May I join you? It seems a waste to use up two tables. He grinned again, his teeth shining in the sunlight, and Laura couldnt help but nod, though the rational side of her brain was shouting against it with all its might. Thanks. He slid into the chair on the opposite side of their table and called over the waiter, ordering the salmon fillet, before turning around to face Laura. So, do you live around here?
    Laura frowned and said forcefully, Look, Mr. Tellerman Komei. Call me Komei, He interrupted smoothly, and Laura blushing slightly before continuing. Okay, Komei, if youre trying to ask me out on a date, Im not interested.
    Komei didnt even flinch. Okay. So, do you live around here?
    Laura spluttered, her face turning a brilliant shade of magenta. Didnt you hear what I just said? I said
    That you dont want to go out on dates. I understand. Cant we just be friends?
    Mollified, the woman answered, II guess. She looked down, extremely embarrassed. No, I live in Chartreua Heights.
    Ah, thats pretty far from here. Do you have to take the bus or the subway?
    No, I drive my car. My beat-up, dirt, stinky, rotten car, she thought bitterly.
    I live here, in Graderon. The waiter arrived with his fillet and he thanked him profusely before beginning to eat. They lapsed into an awkward (for her) silence, Laura looking up every few seconds to find Komeis bright blue eyes boring into her own. Hed smile to himself and then look back down.
    Ever since then shed run into him at the bookstore, the grocery market, and the caf again, and theyd talk. She found herself getting more comfortable with him, though she still felt the odd spark of excitement when their hands touched or when he stared at her. She felt herself smiling almost as much as she had before that day in high school.

I know it ends on a weird note, but either I ended it there or I made the chapter twice as long, and I just don't have the time right now to continue yet.

13. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

Ooh you've got me dangling ... ;) Can't wait to find out what happened in High School!

14. Lynet

Lynet New Member

Amazing, person123. I'm looking forward to more, too.

15. kuponutty

I found out about 'The guy she really likes' from her asperations. Looks like she wants to get engaged to Komei. I see that she's a nice family person, right? So who's the other person in the household? Sorry if I'm bombarding you with questions, its just that I noticed those little things.

16. surprised_by_witches

surprised_by_witches Sleep deprived

I finally had a chance to catch up on this story. I love your use of details, 123. You have a real knack for writing.

More, please!

17. person123

Btw, "that day in high school" was supposed to be "that day in college." Too late to edit now, I think. And I'm getting a little confused by your questions, Kuponutty. Maybe you're mixing up my story with someone else's...? Didn't I mention that she lived alone in her house? And "the guy she really likes" will change, as well--it's not like she meets one guy and immediately knows he's the one! Anyway, I was just getting a little concerned about these questions, so I posted before I finished the next part.

Edit: Eh, well, I'm finished now, I'll just post it.

“So Allison’s older brother thought Jane’s bra was a waffle and almost put it in the toaster?” Komei asked incredulously, his laughter barely contained.
    “Yes, it was so hilarious!” Laura was shrieking with laughter, her face tinted red. She brought the can of beer to her lips again, and Komei stopped her, chuckling merrily.
    “I think you’ve had enough of that tonight!” He tried to take the can and placed it on his side of the table, but Laura wouldn’t let go of it.
    “I think I can handle two cans of beer,” she said, her words slurring together. She wrenched the can out of the man’s grasp and gulped down more, hiccupping loudly. “Okay, I’ve already told you so much about all of the parties and sleepovers I’ve had. What about yours?”
    “Well, there was one time my best friend Alec invited me to his house, where he, supposedly, ‘had a few friends over.’ When I got there it turned out to be this big, wild shindig with kegs and everything. We were both only juniors in high school, and when my mom dropped me off and saw all the frat boys running around naked, she freaked. Since then I haven’t been able to see Alec formally much anymore—of course, we still sneaked out all the time to get a slushie at Seven Eleven.”
    Laura burst out laughing, her can flying out of her hand and spraying beer everywhere.
    “So, what about your parents? What’d they do?”
    “Oh, my dad was the CEO of Valerie Wrights Publishing Co., and my mom was an author—Serena Bones.” Her brain was quite muddled, and she hadn’t worked out exactly what she was saying.
    “You’re related to her? She used to be my favorite author! Why’d she stop publishing books?”
    “She—“ she stopped abruptly, her eyes clouding over with memories. She began gasping for breath, and clutched at her arms, shivering slightly and rocking back and forth on the chair.
    Komei, alarmed, jumped out of his seat and rushed to her side. “What’s wrong? Are you okay, Laura? Did you drink too much?”
    Laura tried to say something, anything, but when she opened her mouth no sounds came out. She felt bile rising in her throat but forcefully pushed it back down, her eyes beginning to sting with tears.
    “Laura! Laura! Laura! Laura!” Benjamin Drake’s slate grey eyes were staring worriedly into hers. He shook her shoulders several times until she was able to calm down slightly, and finally she was able to stop shaking and breathe more evenly. “Laura, are you okay? Did something happen?”
    Laura smiled weakly. “I’m fine; just lost control for a moment there. When you said Valerie, it…it brought back some painful memories.”
    Ben seemed to understand without asking any questions. He stared at her, his eyes seeming to reach every corner of her soul, and Laura couldn’t help but lean in to kiss him. He immediately reacted, wrapping his arms around her and pushing her to the couch. She broke away, though, and bit her lip, trying to find the right words to say. Her boyfriend was staring at her in growing anxiety, watching her decide whether or not to say whatever it was she wanted to.
    Finally she decided to stop beating around the bush. “Ben, I—I’m pregnant.”
    Laura snapped back into reality, seeing Komei’s face instead of her old college boyfriend’s.
    “You were remembering something?” He asked gently.
    “Yeah,” she whispered, tears openly pouring down her cheeks. She remembered that time in college all too well. She’d had to sell most of her own possessions on eBay to pay for the abortion.

18. kuponutty

I wonder what the picture meant. Have a look at it, it seems like there's another person. I'm talking about the picture of Laura and her quoted, Nice Freckles. People can see it, right? Inspect the picture!

19. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

Yeah she wants to get engaged ... let's hope the fella is her mister Right ... but then maybe .... ;)

20. Kristalrose

Kristalrose Wakey-Wakey!

Wow!!! Awsome story so far, Person. Laura is very pretty. I like her hairstyle and her freckles, too. :)