Legacy Challenge stories

Discussion in 'The Sims 2' started by Zootyzoot, Dec 29, 2004.

1. Zootyzoot

Zootyzoot Keeper of Broken FeltTips

Legacy Challenge stories

I don't know how many of you are doing this, but I thought it would be a good idea to have a thread where people can tell stories about their Legacy Challenge families. If noone's doing it then I'm sorry for cluttering up the forum :).
    If you don't know about Legacy Challenge:

The challenge:
    Make a family the strongest it can be over 10 generations.
    The rules: Start with a single adult sim made with the create-a-sim or bodyshop, male or female. Pick any aspiration. Assign personality points as you want.

Start the family on an empty 5X5 Lot.
    When you marry or move sims in, you may only marry or move in townies or NPCs.
    Children may move out if you want but you must keep at least one child in the home to continue the legacy.

When children grow into teenager and you are asked to pick an aspiration, roll a six sided dice
    1: Wealth
    2: Knowledge
    3: Family
    4: Romance
    5: Popularity
    6: Pick one yourself

This is to give some challenges and variety as you play through the generations.

The 10th generation child must be able to trace family back up to the original sim by blood.

You may NOT turn ageing off
    You may use the elixir of life, but use caution, as you may suffer the jump bug.
    You may use any other normal asperation reward objects.
    You may NOT use any kinds of cheats or mood trainers.
    You may NOT use any "special" objects such as the platinum-maxing painting.
    You may use any maxis-made objects, and any 3rd party skins/wallpapers/floors etc.
    You may NOT use the new twins or abduction patches.

No reloading after bad events (bad chance cards or accidental deaths)
    Restarting after a bad bug or a glitch IS allowed. Just as useing the move_objects cheat is allowed for bugged objects.

Should you be unfortunate enough to have your entire lot bugged, starting the entire challege over again is okay. I would reccomend uploading your legacy lots to the sims 2, so if a horrid bug or glitch forces you to start over again, you can just download your own lot and start again from there.

At the end of the challenge (10 generations or after the family line is broken) score your family on the following terms.

1. 1 point for each generation reached (max 10)
    2. 1 point for each $100,000 in net worth the family has (round your current net worth up)
    3. 1 point for each PLATINUM grave on the lot
    4. 1/3 point for each family friend the family has at the end. (round spare 1/3s down)
    5. 1 point every time a sim fulfills an 'impossible' want (a want scoring 30,000 points or more, limit one per sim per want. There are other wants that also count for this, like "have 10 children" I'll try to post a complete list of them soon.)
    6. -1 point every time a household member drops into aspirational failure, requiring a visit from the sim shrink.
    7. -2 points for every inter-bred birth in the family.

Special Bonuses.
    1. 2 points if all 10 career reward objects are on the lot (One time only)
    2. 1 point for each different type of NPC that you have children with over the whole legacy.
    3. 1 point for each different color ghost you have on the lot at the end.
    4. -2 points for each visitor that dies on your lot.
    5. 1 point for each alien born on the lot (1st generation aliens only, children of aliens don't count, unless it's by abduction)
    6. 2 points if the birth that brings in the last generation is twins.
    7. 2 points if you can get two social bunnies to have romantic interactions on the lot (One time only)
    8. 2 points if the ghosts on your lot can acess your sims.
    9. *NEW* 2 points if you manage to collect ALL the different types of ghosts on the lot

I thought it was a Maxis thing at first but it was made up by a person called Pinstar. It's an amazing phenomenon in the Sims 2 community, so many people are doing it and there are so many enormous threads on so many websites devoted to it. Pinstar has even been interviewed by Maxis (http://thesims2.ea.com/community/interview_legacychallenge.php)!

2. Kristalrose

Kristalrose Wakey-Wakey!

I'm playing with my buddies at @forumz. Here's mine so far.

Family Name: Legacy (Duh!)
    1st Generation: Eve, a knowledge Sim
    Married: Brandon, the good looking Scotsman, a romance sim.
    Children: Abel and Lilith

Abel was abducted by aliens and impregnated. He died while pregnant, on the heels of his mother's death. Abel was a family sim, and couldn't stand the loss of his Mom, I think. He went to bed after greiving for a loooonnnng time, and didn't wake up in time to eat. He starved to death. Both Eve and Brandon died with golden headstones. Eve went 1st at 69 days. Brandon then moved in one of the townies he'd been having an affair with, Sandy Bunty. Sandy was just hanging around, being a pest and coming on to Remington the maid, when Brandon died at 70 days and took her to the grave with him by scarring the life litterally out of her. Lilith was quite happy with all this. The bad-girl goth teenager (who was working quite well in the criminal career, btw), had a special friendship with Remington. He was with her when she celebrated her birthday and became an adult. With one "come-hither" from Lilith, Remington was madly in love, and the two got married.

2nd Generation:Lilith, a Wealth Sim
    Spouse: Remington, the maid, a family sim
    Children: Sarah, Rachel, and Noah

Lilith continued her life of crime happilly until the wrong choice on a "chance card" made her loose her career. (grumble, grumble.) She's also a talented painter. All three children are very creative, they spend the majority of their time playing the piano. Remington started flirting with the new maid, Don. They were having a torrid affair while Lilith was at work. Remington also enjoied a healthy career as a cook. Lilith had a very strong desire to put her children into private school, and so she chatted up headmaster Vince more than usual. Vince became enchanted with her and began calling her every day. Last night Lilith came home just in time to catch Remington and Don in their underwear kissing in her bedroom! Well, as you can just guess, that was the end of their marriage. Remington is out, and Headmaster Vince is in. Lilith becomes an elder in 2 days. Both Rachel and Sarah are teenagers. Rachel is a romance sim, and Sarah is a knowledge sim. Sarah keeps chatting up the gardener, Leo, and a friendship is forming. Noah has blonde hair and looks a lot like his Dad.

I made a story about the rise and fall of Lilith and Remington's marriage.
    http://thesims2.ea.com/exchange/story_detail.php?asset_id=9451&asset_type=story&user_id=124521

I must say that I have had a ball playing this game. It is more fun when people post their updates and their stories. It's not about the points, but more about the experience of having a family last through the generations. If you are thinking about playing, do it!!! :)

3. Zootyzoot

D'you think it's worth having a Legacy thread here, or is it better to stick to posting on thesims.com and other already-existing Legacy places? I quite like the idea of the WorldSims forum community's own nook for Legacy Challenge if enough people want to participate.

Here's my story. I haven't got that far because I don't play on the game very often because I don't own the laptop on which I play it, so whenever it gets lent to me it's like getting the Sims 2 new all over again and it consumes my life.

I made the Coniferous family originally in order to spread the new genetics I made, but have decided to have it as my Legacy family, even though it doesn't really abide by the rules. But I'm not that interested in playing the game as such, it just inspired me to play with this family in a different way to the way I was playing them originally. The starting mother and father (Herzegovnia and Lucyferous) are family Sims made with the intention of fulfilling the '10 children' uberwant. But I became very fond of them (as happens so often in this game!) and now they are one of my main families. Thier first child was a girl called Felicita (inspired by my cousin, who wants to be a feliciter (i.e. someone who makes other people happy ('felicity' meaning 'great happiness') when she grows up). As soon as she became a toddler they had Efrim-Jo and then Persia, both boys. Felicita is now an adult and was made pregnant by the rogue Family-Sim of the neighbourhood, Herth. She is soon to have her first child. Efrim-Jo is a Romance-Sim teenager, and Persia is still a child. Felicita isn't going to move out because I want her to look after her siblings as well as having her children looked after by her parents and siblings. So I am making an enormous extended family living in one big house, which is immensely satisfying as well as giving me a warm, fuzzy feeling. I'm really looking forward to having generations and generations for my Sims to look back on, and bring up the families of Lucyferous and Herzegovnia's great great great great great great great grandchildren (i.e., the tenth generation) in the same house they lived in :).

4. mangrovejane

mangrovejane New Member

D'you think it's worth having a Legacy thread here, or is it better to stick to posting on thesims.com and other already-existing Legacy places? I quite like the idea of the WorldSims forum community's own nook for Legacy Challenge if enough people want to participate.

I, for one, am glad you put this here. I had wondered about the rules of the challenge. I just sorta made up my own rules and started a legacy family of my own so I could get over my own fear of my sims finally dying. (Note: I haven't made it to the death stage yet for my lovely first sims legacy family. I started a new one once they got to elder. :rolleyes: ) I just get so darn fond of them. I didn't realise however, that you were supposed to partner up with a townie. I have played more like Zooty Zoot and created my own characters but I have done it without cheats. Moving them through thier lives really does make for different gameplay. I'll post back again when one of my first generation finally goes to sim heaven. It'll be a sad sad day... :cry:

5. MusicAddict

MusicAddict New Member

Ha ha, that's what I'm terrified of too. I don't want my sims to die!!!!! NOOO! I've even been hesitant to have this woman fulfill her "saved from death" want, because there's a chance that she won't be... and then.... she'll be gone!!! This is precisely why I have so many families in my neighborhood. So I can leave when my sims get too old, ha ha. :p

6. Zootyzoot

I'm finding the best way to get over this is having my Sims live in an extended family. Playing ageing elders living alone is sort of depressing, but having them live with their children and grandchildren in one big family is much more fun, and somehow makes their deaths less sad because of the lively family they leave behind. Also it's heartwarming to see elders interacting with and looking after their granchildren as a part of the household :).

7. Kristalrose

Kristalrose Wakey-Wakey!

Do it!!! They are never really gone, you know, as long as you keep their headstones. ;) They constantly haunt you!

8. Zootyzoot

Oh! Felicita has had a baby girl called Chombee, and her mother has given birth to twin girls, Moxicei and Mischa! So now I have three baby girls to look after, and eight in the family! Noone will be able to get pregnant until Efrim-Jo becomes a teenager and moves out. I will have to sustain them all with Elixir of Life until then :).

9. Angelyne

Angelyne New Member

I have a question. Does all this happen on it's own or do you nudge things along. I confess I micro-manage my sims a lot, so there aren't many unforeseen events. Do affairs happen on their own? I've never had a sims fall in love on their own yet, I've always had to nudge things by choosing certain interactions.

10. Kristalrose

Kristalrose Wakey-Wakey!

:p I kindof give it a nudge from time to time. I see that there might be a spark between sims, and then I help it along.

For example, Remington kept wanting to talk to Don, be friends with Don, ect.

And Lilith was just talking to Vince to keep his friendship, he fell in love all on his own.

He's moved into the house now, and getting friendly with teenaged Rachel. Lilith is about to kick off, so I'm wondering if Rachel can have a relationship with Vince?? Vince never married Lilith, he's just there.

11. person123

person123 Frumpy McDoogle!

hmm...i can never manage a good legacy family. i always end up using "aging off" and i feel bad about it, and i say, "just 'till she finds a husband", "just she gets her first kiss", "just 'till he gets his grades up". i end up having immortal sims, just like in sims 1... i also get so scared when a sim dies from something other than age, so i just don't save...oh well. how do you get them to be...homosexual??? i was just experimenting one day and made 2 women with compatible signs that lived next door to each other, and they just didn't hit it off. the only way i could get a good homosexual relationship going along is if i made them married when i made the family. haha, but your story was really funny.

12. Zootyzoot

All Sims are utterly bi with a slight leaning towards the opposite sex. You make two Sims of the same sex have a romantic relationship in exactly the same way you get two Sims of different sexes to have one.

As for the 'ageing off' problem - you'll just have to be brave, I'm afraid :p! It's surprisingly rewarding to allow Sims to age and die, even though you might not want them to. The way you play the game is of course up to you, but I would reccommend not using 'ageing off' on maybe just one of your families and see how it feels. Having your Sims have families, grow old and die, and watching your famlilies go through the generations, is one of the most satisfying and heartwarming things about the game. Face your fears, person123!

13. SaiyanPrincessRa

SaiyanPrincessRa Saiyan Princess

Gawd, sounds like a lot of hassle to me, sooooo many rules and stuff, then again im just new to ts2 so....

14. person123

person123 Frumpy McDoogle!

haha, thanks. some of my families i leave aging on, but they all end up dying without any kids and stuff. i guess i'm just not good at playing. my brother is always able to keep his sims' aspiration meter at atleast gold.

15. Zootyzoot

Yeah. I'm interpreting them more as guidelines, or ideas for ways to play the game.

The latest on my Legacy family: Persia has grown into a sweet looking teenager, and Chombee has grown into a child. She's really grouchy - only has one point in the Nice personality bar. Should I keep her as a sort of family grouch (the rest of the family are bursting with Nice points), or should I encourage her to be nice?

16. Melara

Melara New Member

I've started the Legacy family thing, with only one little cheat on my part :) I moved my Sim Ariel into an already existing house property that was larger than 5x5. I just like big houses, I guess. Saves having to slap on additions or worse, moving in case the family gets bigger than expected. Right now, she wants to get engaged to Gary and I'm planning on only two kids, but we'll see what happens!

17. Zootyzoot

Good (or bad, depending on what you prefer ;)) luck with your Legacy!

18. Melara

Melara New Member

ROFL! How quickly things happened! Gary and Ariel did indeed get married. They had a huge wedding bash and everything, that was a roaring success. And their very first night together, Ariel got pregnant.

Now, apparently Gary is a romance Sim, cuz barely did Ariel start to show than he was sniffing around the maid's skirts. He's risking life and limb by cuddling and smooching the maid in the hot-tub while his wife is upstairs blissfully asleep. I have a feeling she's going to catch him eventually...that should be fun to watch.

At any rate, Ariel had a little boy, Benjamin. He got her eyes :) The day he was born Gary started poking about with the telescope, and knowing he was cheating on Ariel, I murmured something along the lines of 'if there's any justice in the universe...' and sure enough, here comes the buzzy little UFO. So now Gary is expecting their second child! Oy!

19. J. M. Pescado

J. M. Pescado Fat Obstreperous Jerk

GROUCHY! Nice sims are wussies who cry whenever anyone insults them. Grouchy is totally the way to go. Knowledge sims have the easiest scoring "impossible" want, so if you want that, just for for Knowledge sims. A good throwing grip on your d6 makes this a pretty trivial exercise.

20. Cyricc

Cyricc Goblin Techies

And once you fulfill that with Knowledge sims, you can do the lose-a-skill-point thing to get it all over again! It's a well of bottomless points. Evil, evil cheating... but hey, it works.

Anyway, I don't think I'd ever have to time or dedication to actually try something like this. How long does it take? It would be cool if someone actually timed the playsessions playing this from start to finish.