Legacy generations?

Discussion in 'The Sims 2' started by Lynet, Jun 19, 2005.

1. Lynet

Lynet New Member

Legacy generations?

Has anyone gotten to the tenth generation yet? I'm only as far as three.

Four of the five children of my third generation are in college, the three sisters Kiara, Alison, Neala, and their cousin Sybil (all were living in the Legacy home.) Sybil and her infant sister Elizabeth (I was so hoping for a boy in this generation but it's not going to happen) are the only ones carrying the family name of Sparrow, although I can't help thinking of all of them as Sparrows.

2. garyalexza

garyalexza New Member

I started out doing this after I first got Sims, after I went and registered my game and found thesims2.com BBS site.

Then after some more reading I saw a lot of those people were having problems with lots after a few generations (about 8 or 9 or so) so I decided to just play the game for the enjoyment and even though I liked the idea of the legacy challenge, I am now playing mine without the rules... I prefer using quite a few of Pescado's hacks (like the Phone hack etc) that make the game less annoying, and I like making new playable families in the same neighbourhood that my main legacy family can interact with and marry if it works out that way.

But to keep on topic... I am on the 3rd generation of this family and have about 4 other families in the same neighbourhood in various stages :)

3. Kristalrose

Kristalrose Wakey-Wakey!

I got addicted to hacks and Merola's painting, so I quit playing it. :( My Legacy Sim just got a sim born in-game pregnant. LOL

4. Lynet

Lynet New Member

I hadn't spent time with my Legacy family for a couple of months. But when I got the expansion I decided to send the Legacy teens to college. I have no interest in keeping track of points or following all the rules but I thought I'd like to drop in on the family on occasion, move them on to another generation, keep them on the same lot in the same house, and marry NPCs whenever possible (expanding the gene pool, so to speak.) I hope the lot doesn't start having problems. I'd hate to bulldoze it.

Had to do that with one of my families. Tried twice to enter the lot and it crashed the game. So I moved them out of the house and bulldozed the lot. I moved them into another house and everything seems fine now. I think installing the expansion had something to do with corrupting the house :( although I had carefully gotten every household ready for the installation.

5. Zootyzoot

Zootyzoot Keeper of Broken FeltTips

Now I can play the Sims whenever I want, I've returned to my legacyish family. Legacyish because I don't keep to any of the rules of the Legacy Challenge, other than a vague ambition to get 10 generations. So far I've got three, but soon to be four! Sending all my teen sims to college has really stagnated my neighbourhood and its plans. I wish college didn't last so long. I really need my teen sims back in my neighbourhood to breed, not frittering their time away getting an education :p. My legacy challenge has also been slowed by my really getting into the idea of having ten children, which means I focus on my original couple rather than their offspring. I think I'm going to ababdon that now, though, and let them become elders so their firstborn can get old so I can concentrate on her daughter. Who, as a grouchy Romance Sim, is not really suited to the responsibility to being the heir of the Legacy. Ah well.

And yeah, I've had a problem with my legacy lot too, even though I've barely begun - they were invaded by a repoman army which seemed to damage the lot so I had to move them out and then move them back in again, losing all their paintings :(

6. Lynet

Lynet New Member

A repo guy came to my lot, too :mad: . When I got the message that we hadn't paid bills I looked EVERYWHERE for them, thinking one of the kids had put them down somewhere. I even looked under the bushes :p. Fortunately, there was no apparent damage to the lot. Now I keep a VERY close eye on the mailbox. I figured it had to be a result of loading the TSU expansion. I'm wondering if the bills were there and unpaid before, then gone and still (of course) unpaid after the installation. I'll never know.

7. Lynet

Lynet New Member

Zootyzoot, I just now looked at your pictures. omg, lmao!:D

8. person123

person123 Frumpy McDoogle!

I don't think I'll ever properly finish my Legacy family. I started it...back when I first got the game, actually, which was at the beginning of the year. And my Legacy sim's first-born child is still a teen...gosh, I'm bad at this. I just get bored of it so quickly, and then I only play with it for a proper amount of time (2 hours for me, XD ) every few months or so. I have to say that I don't enjoy it so much because I made my sim so...generic-looking. She's almost an exact copy of the blonde, short-haired premade Head in the palest Maxis-made skin... I just wasn't that good at CAS back then. At least I gave her black hair and brown eyes. If I had wanted to make her look more realistic rather than the strange urge for Sim players to make beautiful sims, I would have changed her features drastically. But now... Maybe I should just completely start over with a new one.

Also, when I first started it, I didn't look up the exact rules for a Legacy Challenge, so you can't even call it a legacy family anymore with all the rule-breaking. I much rather prefer making strange families to populate my neighborhoods, Viridian Springs and Scarlet Valley, and only actually playing with them for a couple of weeks (real life weeks, not Sim weeks), and then making a new one. I make creepy Goth families, rich businessmen with faithless young wives, snobby, preppy teen girls, creative, social-pariah-like teen girls, creepy old lady living in the shabby house at the end of the road... It just never ends.

I also just noticed that I made a horrible mistake naming myself Person123. What happens when someone like KristalRose goes to talk to her husband about something cool I said, and starts off saying, "Hey, I heard a person named Person123 say something really cool, you wanna hear it?" He replies, "She/He (I'm a girl by the way) sounds really dull, no, I'd rather not." Oh no!

9. Lynet

Lynet New Member

One of my neighborhoods is Miseria and I made several families of fairly ugly people. It was fun finding out what the kids looked like when they grew up, but I also laughed alot with their slobbiness. One of them got out of the shower, started to spin around (as they do to get dressed) and slipped and fell because of the water on the floor :p .

For me, the Legacy family is more of a curiosity -- can I keep a family going through 10 generations? And marrying the NPCs is interesting. One of my other sims married an NPC who turned out to be a super hero. The first time she went to work flying straight up into the air I just about fell off my chair laughing. (My husband says I laugh at anything :rolleyes: .) I didn't know about that career stage of law enforcement.

Having a lot of neighborhoods, some crowded and some almost empty (and so much more peaceful and easier to manage), with different kinds of families in them to visit now and again is how I've been playing the game. If I haven't visited a family for a couple of months they are more interesting when I go back for a visit. Which is how I feel about my Legacy family--nice to visit once in a while.

As for your name Person123, "What's in a name . . .a rose by any other name, etc." I'm bored to death with "Lynet." I'd like an interesting name like Andromeda or Gormghlaith (Irish for sad) or La Reina (Spanish for queen) or Tis-see-woo-na-tis (Cheyenne for she who bathes with her knees.) ;)

Can we change names here or are we stuck forever with these monikers? My real name is Louise, by the way, and I've been bored with THAT one 50 years.

10. surprised_by_witches

surprised_by_witches Sleep deprived

I laughed at the superheroes too Lynet. As for changing your name I just read a thread where ManagerJosh said that was a no-no, but I think that's just to keep people honest. You should ask him if you can change or not.

Miseria. I love it. I love that you purposely made them ugly slobs. I, shallowly, always end up making mine look pretty ... and I admit I like a sim who's inclined to pick up after herself ... though it was really funny the first time one of my sims had the option to "lick plate clean." She's not real big on the cleanliness thing. :rolleyes:

11. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

It's always better not to change your username cos it only confoozicles.

If you want to folks to know you by another (more familiar) name then either use your options in editing your profile (there's an option to say what you like to be known as) or just stick it in your "signature" in some way that folks can see easily ... :)

12. Lynet

Lynet New Member

Good idea. I'll give it some thought. I hope Person123 reads this. I'll use whatever name she prefers to be known as :) .

Confoozicles? :D I do that all the time.

13. J. M. Pescado

J. M. Pescado Fat Obstreperous Jerk

I'll just keep calling him "person with bunch of dumb numbers after name". I have a thing against names with numbers after them. They just really bug me.

14. person123

Hehe, I'm a girl. I hate names with numbers, too, but I was stupid back then. I registered this username back in October, I think.

And I'm honored, Lynet. However, I think you should take back your statement, because you probably will regret it. ;) For example, I am commonly referred to by my friends as a sadistic asylum patient. Who knows what I'll think of now?

15. Zootyzoot

Zootyzoot Keeper of Broken FeltTips

Nah, I always respected you for your name. It's self-deprecating, non-descriptive, anonymous, modest. There's something a tiny bit weird about praising yourself in your name.

16. person123

I've been complimented on this site more than I have my whole life!!! Or..I think it was a compliment. I'm not particularly bright, so I don't quite understand all those big ol' words. ;)

EDIT: YEAH! I'm an Insane Knowledge Sim! Not as creative as I'd have liked, but it'll do for now.

17. Lynet

Lynet New Member

:cool: Like your avatar, too. (Have you tried out the movie making yet?) I'm testing "Skywatcher" as a title. It's more interesting than "member." But I'll probably change it a few times.

18. person123

Actually, my avatar is what a Popularity sim does when she/he reaches the lowest red aspiration, but still. I prefer to think of myself as a Knowledge sim that's just a little bit loony.

19. Lynet

Lynet New Member

Oops, your right. I didn't look at the picture close enough. And I don't think you're even a little bit loony. You write very well (better than many adults these days) and make thoughtful suggestions. Nothing wrong with daydreams :cool: , either, by the way.

I've really got to get back to my Sims. My Legacy family has a baby girl, Elizabeth, who is about to become a toddler at the same time her dad, Wynter, is about to become an elder. Elizabeth's mom wants to throw a party--always a risk because I haven't quite mastered party throwing yet :rolleyes:.

Meanwhile, Elizabeth's sister and three cousins are away at college. Hope they come back for the party.