Troubleshooting Loading problem - can't get past 22%

Discussion in 'The Sims 2' started by pgates9, Feb 3, 2006.

1. pgates9

pgates9 New Member

Loading problem - can't get past 22%

Kids got Sims2 for Xmas. I tried loading disc 1 and it was doing fine until it hit 22%. Then it froze and would not load any further - it stuck where Current file says: Support\*.*

Tried on three different PCs with the same result.

Brought back CDs to store and got replacement. Same results.

I checked system requirements and I think I'm OK. Even installed 512 more RAM to be sure.

Help

2. dawn_catcher

dawn_catcher New Member

I am also having the same problem but with disc 3. It gets to 49% and just stops.

I just got my computer today. 1gig memory with a 160GB hd. I know I can run it on my system with no problems. Even the suggestion of copying the files to the HD didnt work.

Any idea what causes this or a way around it?

3. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Benevolent Dictator Staff Member

Define stop here. Sometimes InstallShield will idle for a bit and it's not uncommon for it to do nowadays as a lot of stuff have to be installed and processed.

4. pgates9

pgates9 New Member

more info

Stop (for me) means it stayed at 22% for 90 minutes before I gave up.

I also tried to copy disc 1 to my hard drive. Got to 62% before it also stopped for 90 minutes +.

5. ManagerJosh

What type of disc is this (DVD/CD) and what type of drive do you have it in?

6. pgates9

pgates9 New Member

more info

I'm using a cd-rom version of the software.

I have 2 drives - cd and cd burner - but I get the same result on both.

Can't figure it. Two different sets of software bought at two different Target stores. Both stall at the same point - 22%. To me that says my computer is the problem. But the first set was tried on 3 different machines withn the same results. To me that says the problem is the software.

Could it be a bad batch that got split up and sent to multiple Target stores in my area? Seems unlikely but I'm out of ideas.

7. ManagerJosh

How old are the machines? Also, what are the specs?

8. pgates9

pgates9 New Member

Mine's the oldest at just over 2 years - dell dimension 2400

I ran the servepro system checker. It checked out AOK.

stats are:

operating system: windows xp
    memory: 766 Mb
    graphics card: Intel(R) 82845G/GL/GE/PE/( Graphics Controller
    CPU: 2.2 GHz
    Hard Drive: Free disc space 52 Gb

9. ManagerJosh

ServoPro? No offense (to Raymond) but I think they haven't updated that thing in ages...

10. pgates9

pgates9 New Member

more info

Just grasping at any straw I can. Understood that Servpro is outdated.

Do my system specs seem OK?

11. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

12. pgates9

pgates9 New Member

more info

I'll give that a shot this evening. Thanks for the tip.

13. JuliaThorne

JuliaThorne New Member

Just checking if this has been solved?
    I had this problem as well. I bought a previous played copy of Sims 2. It also stopped at 22% and gave me a message saying it couldn't transfer a certain file to the location and asked if i want to retry or cancel. Tried it on another machine, somehow got through 22% but stuck at disc 2 with the same message.
    Then I went back to the store for an exchange. SAME THING HAPPENED again! but this time it stopped at disc 3 also 49% i believe. So I went back again and they ran outta preplayed copies. I end up getting a brand new copy praying for it to work and it did. :)

14. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

Thanks for that Julia. I guess that's a timely piece of advice: second hand games aren't worth the hassle.

15. AM120

AM120 New Member

Same problem - is there a known solution ?

I think I have the same 22% installation problem, the installation stops and informs it can not copy a file called "Leeme.txt".
    Is there a known solution to this problem ?

16. jolovesyouall

jolovesyouall New Member

After looking at many many forums, EA support, and so on, finally got The Sims on my brand new pc.

The solution? Everything installed in safe modus.