How Do I Lost Pleasantville and all associated Sims

Discussion in 'The Sims 2' started by lorelei92950, May 3, 2010.

1. lorelei92950

lorelei92950 Member

Lost Pleasantville and all associated Sims

Okay, evidently I really screwed up. I moved things around in my files and cleared out some stuff (nothing to do with EA) to get more ram. When I rebooted and went in to Sims 2 Best of Business, Pleasantville is GONE. I am sick, because I had families I created that were in third generation. Homes I had completely revamped. I went into Riverblossom,which is still there, and all the changes I made to houses and Sims are wiped out. Should I just uninstall everything? Do these lots/families exist anywhere in my computer? I'm stills showing EA games. I'm thinking do I uninstall all games (Sims 2, Seasons and Best of Business which I'm also showing Sims Store as a separate game and don't know what that is about). Then if I move the EA back in from MyBook memory will my town and characters come back? I don't think I have the strength to start over, only half-kidding. Help!

2. lorelei92950

lorelei92950 Member

I uninstalled all Sims stuff from my main drive. Then I tried to reinstall just Sims 2 knowing there would be none of my created characters. It gets to Disc 4 and never finishes. There is a message do you want to launch Sims 2? But it just sends you back into installation. Evidently launch means install? When I try to start the game it won't start. I gave that up and tried to move my saved Sims 2 from My Book, but it won't do it.

So if I've lost all my families I guess I might as well sell all my Sims 2 stuff or give it away (including the Mansion and Gardens I just bought) :( And just go get Sims 3 and hope it installs. Anyone got any suggestions on any of this? I miss my created families. I'm so down. Ugh.

3. lorelei92950

lorelei92950 Member

Please I need help with this. I keep trying to reinstall Sims 2 anyway and it takes all the disks but when I go to start the game: Start>All Programs>The Sims 2>The Sims 2 it just says it can't find it and then says something about I may not have permission to access it. What is that? I went to the Sims2.com site and they were basically useless, saying email us and then giving no place to type the question and no place to hit enter when you give the other information they ask for. I'm sort of tearing my hair here. This means I can't even play Sims 2 and just use the Sims already in the game. It also means I'd be afraid to get Sims 3 for fear it would do the same thing. If anyone has any ideas please help!

4. swmeek

swmeek I got your benevolent dictator pal!!

You may need to completely wipe the program files folder of any Sims 2 stuff.
    Sometimes when you uninstall stuff it will still leave bits behind that might interfere with a new re-install .
    Look over that sims 2 wiki site I gave you the address to and see if there is anything there that might help you.

5. lorelei92950

lorelei92950 Member

How do I "wipe" the program files? I looked in them and there is no Sims stuff in Programs or Programs (86) on my C drive. (there is still stuff on my remote device the "My Book"--could that be the problem? But if I uninstall it from there, I can never get my Sims people back). I'll check that site again, but I'm afraid it looks way over my head, but I'll try again. Thanks!

6. lorelei92950

lorelei92950 Member

Arghhhh! Now I can't find the wiki link...I'm checking all my various threads that you answered. Could you give it to me again?

7. Flameback777

Flameback777 Josh's Servant Staff Member

You probably moved the "EA Games" folder from My Documents to your external USB drive. If you move it back to My Documents, it should restore all your neighborhoods and sims.

8. lorelei92950

lorelei92950 Member

Thanks Flameback! However; I moved it back to Documents in my C Drive, but when I put in Disk 1 (because as far as I know you have to have that in to play), it wanted to re-install. I also found "autorun" in the external USB drive under Documents so I moved it too to the C Drive under Documents too. However when I tried to reinstall it gave me the same message "can't find autorun you may not have permission to use it" or words to that effect. Looks like I'm the type who should never go into files and mess with them. I'm afraid that somehow not only have I screwed up and lost everything on Sims 2, but in fact, my pc is now fried because of an error I can't even identify. *sigh* I have Geek Squad but I think they only help with hardware. There's also a shortcut to Sims 2 that doesn't work but will not let me delete it. Thanks anyway, I guess I'm hopeless.

9. lorelei92950

lorelei92950 Member

Okay, I couldn't get the Sims 2 to reload, but tonight remembered that I forgot to turn off my Kaspersky before I reload the last time. So I turned that off. I didn't try to reload this time. Instead I clicked on the desktop shortcut (that previously didn't work and wouldn't be deleted) and it brought up my Sims 2 and it included the 3 neighborhoods, but none of my created Sims. The heritage sims are all back in their unchanged homes (they were in my bin before). Now. My saved EA (with Sims2, Sims 2 Seasons and Sims 2 Best of Business) is back in my remote device. I moved it there when I tried to reload the last time. I still have no idea how to get my self-created Sims back out of that. Of course the Sims seasons and B of B have the most recent Sims and homes I created). I guess I need to start all over. I'll never be able to recreate the same Sims which were into their 3rd and 4th generation. But what, then, was the point of saving the game (as they said to do when I added Sims 2 Seasons and Sims 2 B of B) to another place if there is no way to get them back if something goes wrong with the game on my C drive? At least now I know there is nothing wrong with my pc, though. If I remove the ones from my remote drive with this basic, reinstalled Sims 2 in there, that will screw up the whole thing, won't it? But just putting back the EA from my remote didn't work before.

Also this reinstalled Sims 2 was not in my Documents, it was under My Programs (86).

So I'm wondering should I uninstall sims 2 again and then with Kaspersky OFF try to move EA from the remote device (it's there under Documents) over to my C drive? And should I move it to My Programs where it used to be or to Documents?

10. lorelei92950

lorelei92950 Member

I just put Kaspersky back on because I have to go online and now I can't access Sims 2 again. This was not a problem before. I just left it off during installation and then put it back on and never had trouble with it before.

11. lorelei92950

lorelei92950 Member

Man, this is a nightmare. I took Kaspersky off, uninstalled Sims 2, and got rid of the shortcut finally. Kept Kaspersky off (and unhooked my server!) and reinstalled it. I finally got it to let me create a family (it locked up last time). I saved it, restarted and it worked fine again. (I've given up on ever getting my families back, I'm going to try to recreate the 1st generation). The instructions said that when I restarted the programs I took off to install Sims 2 should come back on immediately. But Kaspersky did not come back on. So I put it on manually and immediately the shortcut quite working and said it was possible I did not have permission. So I don't know what to do. I am totally unwilling to go online without my anti-virus hooked up and when I do it Sims 2 will not work. This did not happen when I had it before and when I added the expansion packs. So I either have to give up Sims, or not be able to get online when I'm playing. Does anyone else have this problem with their anti-virus once they install Sims 2? I'm anxious to add back my expansions packs, but almost afraid to do so. Guess I will never be online again because I play Sims 2 all the time but then I used to check email and Facebook. I can't see doing that very often if I have to hook up my server and Kaspersky and then take them back off again every time I want to play Sims.

12. lorelei92950

lorelei92950 Member

This problem went away after a few reboots...thanks for all the help though. That is, the problem with my Kaspersky. But in spite of backing up copiesof my first game, I lost all the families. I can't find a way to get them back. Started new families but it's hard to get enthusiastic about having to redo all the houses.

13. prettyhot

prettyhot New Member

I have not moved anything yet my complete neighborhoods have gone the game has gone back to the beginning before I added anything with my expansion packs having not been added to any neighborhood its as if I've never played. So frustrating as I've spent many hours building elaborate houses and neighborhoods. It is a complete work of art. As far as I can tell the saved game still exists but the game is not coming up when I launch the game. Other than this the game is running fine, I've never had any problems with it so far. Can I restore the neighborhoods? I'm scared that if I begin again these neighborhoods will suddenly disappear like the first ones so it will be a waste of time and effort.

14. lorelei92950

lorelei92950 Member

It's terrifying to think all that work, homes and families that (I know it's dumb) you created and so kind of care for can evaporate that way. I can even go into my backups and see the "movies" of my old families and old houses but have no idea how to move that stuff back into the game. And now I have more self-created families; terrified of losing them. When your game went back to the beginning and your expansion packs disappeared, when did you notice this? I mean it was working fine when you quit and then when you went back in everything was gone? I mean, I really never did anything either. I moved some files in my pc, but none of it had anything to do with the game. I was moving my real photo files to a remote device to save room, that's it. Never touched any EA stuff at all. And my whole neighborhood of Pleasantville was gone, just gone, no button for it or anything. And everything in Riverblossom was back like the beginning. I was in tears like an idiot. So I had no choice but to remove everything and reinstall everything. But since it had happened after I added Best of Business I did not add that expansion pack the next time. I'm still afraid I will lose everything. Even though it is backed up, so were the last ones but I had no idea then (nor do I now) how to use these backups to possibly put things together if it happens again. I guess you should not play Sims unless you are completely pc savvy, but I'm hooked on them, so it's too late.