Troubleshooting Manager Josh would this run the sims 2 smootly or choppy

Discussion in 'The Sims 2' started by HOCKEYISMYLIFE, Jul 13, 2004.

1. HOCKEYISMYLIFE

HOCKEYISMYLIFE New Member

Manager Josh would this run the sims 2 smootly or choppy

2200 mhz
    Asylum Geforce FX 5200 256 insane 3D graphics card
    512 MB Ram
    37.2 GB hardrive

Since you are a computer genius I need you to tell me if it would run it smoothly Thank you for your time.

2. Flameback777

Flameback777 Josh's Servant Staff Member

It would run the game smoothly. :)

3. HOCKEYISMYLIFE

Thanks for your help!!!:squareeyed:

4. Vchat20

Vchat20 New Member

yeah. that would run sims 2 pretty well. no doubts there.

5. HOCKEYISMYLIFE

Will it run really smootly or just a little smootly also what game could I buy to test to see if it would run it well. SIMCITY 4?

6. FaeLuna

FaeLuna The One and Only

You could look for a game that's already out with system requirements closest to what Sims 2 will need, and test your computer with that game, but unless it turned out to be a game you really liked and wanted to own, I'd suggest trying to see if you can RENT it instead of buying it! ;)

7. Supernova

Supernova New Member

I didn't think you could rent computer games

8. EwanGirl5

EwanGirl5 New Member

My computer has...

1594 MHz
    256 MB (RAM)
    58.07 GB

It can play some big games really smooth (GTA: VC, Simpsons: Hit and Run, Silent Hill 2 are the ones I've played on it) but I want to get a video card for Sims 2 so it runs really smooth... What kind should I get? Preferably one that isn't $500... :rolleyes:

9. Flameback777

Flameback777 Josh's Servant Staff Member

SimCity 4 is very...erm....hard on your system, mainly RAM and video cards.
    Although it runs smoothly on my 3.0GHz, 1GB RAM and my Radeon 9600 128mbs of video memory. :rolleyes: :D

10. Trinasis

Trinasis New Member

how do you find out what all the stuff is on your computer? I just got my laptop a few months ago I am trying to see if the sims 2 would work on my laptop

11. Vchat20

Vchat20 New Member

hey. SC4 runs pretty dam smoothly on my computer.

2GHZ Celeron
    512MB DDR
    onboard intel graphics chewing away @ 64MB of system ram
    XP Pro

12. KatAnubis

KatAnubis Lady Staff Member

To find out what your computer specs are, go to Start, click on Run and type dxdiag in the box.

The important things are in the System Information and Display Device sections.

In System information you'll want to look at:
    Operating System
    Processor (model name, number and speed in either ghz or mhz)
    Memory (RAM)
    Direct X version (you need to make sure that you have 9.0b. If you download it, double check to make sure it's changed in the dxdiag too as sometimes a step gets missed and it doesn't get completed. Then go to the graphics card/video card's manufacturer and download the newest drivers.)

Under Display Devices you want:
    Card name
    Chip type
    Display Memory.

The only thing left is making sure you have enough hard drive space. One of the easiest ways to figure that one out is to click on disc defrag (which is under accessories\system tools\disc defrag). Don't run it at that point, but it should show how much total space your drive has, how much is available and what the percentage used is. It's important to keep about 25% of the drive empty so that the computer has room to "manuever". So, it's bad if you only have a little space left.

From there you can completely compare your specs to the minimum specs of the game. (Remember that you should meet *all* the specs and if you only meet the specs rather than exceeding them chances are your game will run but may be jerky and not have all the texture and lighting effects that you may like.)

You can find the specs here: http://thesims2.ea.com/about_system_specs.php

This is what that page says:

The Sims 2 Minimum System Specs

If you have a T&L capable video card with at least 32 MB of video RAM (such as nvidia GeForce 2 or better or ATI Radeon 7000 or better) then you need at least:
    • 600 MHz P3 processor
    • 256 MB RAM if Windows XP, Windows ME, Windows 98 or Windows 2000
    • At least 3.5 GB of hard drive space
    If you have a non-T&L capable video card (such as TNT2 or Intel Integrated for example) then you need at least:
    • 1.5 GHz processor
    • 256 MB RAM if Windows XP, Windows ME, Windows 98, or Windows 2000
    • At least 3.5 GB of hard drive space
    Recommended video cards (and the more video memory the better):
    • ATI Radeon 9800 Pro
    • Nvidia Geforce 4 or FX series cards
    From the nVidia website's glossary
    Transform & Lighting (T&L) definition: Two separate engines on the GPU (Graphics Processing Unit) that provide for a powerful, balanced PC platform and enable extremely high polygon count scenes. Transform performance determines how complex objects can be and how many can appear in a scene without sacrificing frame rate. Lighting techniques add to a scene's realism by changing the appearance of objects based on light sources.

Some other notes about video cards:
    T&L video cards started shipping around 3 years ago, so if you got your computer in the last couple of years you should check and see if you have a T&L card.

It's always a good idea to make sure you have the most current drivers for your video cards. The manufacturers usually have the video drivers on their sites for you to download. Visit the nVidia site or the ATI for the latest drivers for those video cards.

13. EwanGirl5

EwanGirl5 New Member

I know someone else posted this link up (I forgot who... sorry :confused: ) but if you're having trouble figuring out whether the Sims 2 will work for you try this little program out... It's free and it takes all the essential info out of your computer and puts it right there so you can compare... http://www.simprograms.com/programs.shtml

It's called The Sims 2 System Requirements Detector

14. Supernova

Supernova New Member

I'm getting a sweet new computer very soon. Here are the specs:

3.0 GHz P4 Processor
    80 GB Hard Drive
    1 GB of RAM
    ATI RADEON 9600 256 MB Video Card
    DVD ROM and CD Burner
    Cordless Optical Mouse w/ Scroll Wheel
    Windows XP Pro

And its completely black! I'm getting this for a only $1500. And thats Canadian dollars! Wooo! I'm so happy!

15. Trinasis

Trinasis New Member

That is good that you are getting a new computer I felt the same way when I got my laptop!