Microsoft Acquires Skype

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by ManagerJosh, May 10, 2011.

1. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Benevolent Dictator Staff Member

http://techcrunch.com/2011/05/10/microsoft-acquires-skype/

This should be an interesting acquistion. I'm wondering if skype would be the kiss of death as companies like eBay got rid of it a few years back. I'm wondering how they would make a profit out of this and integrate Skype into their product line. Hm..

2. KatAnubis

KatAnubis Lady Staff Member

It will be interesting to see what happens.

3. swmeek

swmeek I got your benevolent dictator pal!!

Time to get rid of Skype I guess!

4. ManagerJosh

You get rid of skype? Then what else would you use?

5. swmeek

swmeek I got your benevolent dictator pal!!

nothing!

6. djrules5454

djrules5454 Wiivolutionary

I hope Microsoft is smart enough to keep the dev team together for Skype and allow Skype to be standalone while incorporating it into its other products that would be improved by it, such as Outlook and Windows Live Messenger, the latter of which already having voice and video chat but not as well done as Skype.

7. ManagerJosh

What worries me most as a Skype subscriber is that they enact on their promise to "monetize" Skype. Personally I love the rates I am getting with Skype and I in fact hope to get more bang for the buck. I really hope they do not jack up rates because I will not renew my subscription at the end of the one year contract.

Anyone get the subtle feeling Microsoft acquired Skype as a way to counter and respond to Google Voice?

8. KatAnubis

This wouldn't surprise me a bit.

9. KatAnubis

I thought Skype was free. It used to be from what my husband says. He used to use it (voice only since we have no cameras on our machines.)

10. djrules5454

djrules5454 Wiivolutionary

Well, Skype-to-Skype is still free, but not Skype-to-phone line. I'd appreciate it if they at least kept the Skype-to-Skype free.

11. ManagerJosh

Skype to Skype is free, but the subscription I have is the US/Canada calling subscription that allows me to make calls within the US for about 5.00 a month. It isn't bad, especially when I'm doing conference calls :)

12. KatAnubis

Once you start including phones, the price will definitely go up because then you're dealing with the interconnectivity fees. They quote you one price, but when you actually see the bill, there are all sorts of added fees.

13. ghstyler

ghstyler New Member

i gueest