MP3 advice

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by sims2, Nov 20, 2006.

1. sims2

sims2 New Member

MP3 advice

I am thinking of getting an mp3 for christmas as i have wanted one for a while now.
    Just a couple of questions, do i-pods allow you to transfer music off your own CDS onto them like an mp3 does?
    Also i was looking for a sony mp3 originally not an i-pod, however it seems most of the sony mp3s can only be charged up by a computer and this would just not be good enough for me as i need to take them away with me. Do any mp3s allow charging from a plug?

2. JohnEZ

JohnEZ The Mac Guy

The iPod is an MP3 player. iTunes allows you to rip the songs from your CDs into your library or buy them from the iTunes store, either way works.

There is a product in the US, I'm not sure who makes it, but they have an adapter that allows you to plug in any MP3 player via USB or FireWire (IEEE 1394 if you prefer) to charge it. Certainly there must be a British equivilant! :)

Like I said, I'm the Mac Guy. :p So of course my opinion is going to sway toward Apple, but really any MP3 player will do the job. Take a look around, see what suits you, and what's the easiest to use.

-John

3. sims2

sims2 New Member

Thanks for your advice=D we were going to send this back as we only thought like i said that it would charge by computer. However we have realised that all MP3'S are USB LOL!
    And that you can buy a charger to take on vacations with you. I personally preffered them to i -pods originally anyway and was going to be really dissapointed if this had gone back. Thanfully now that we can buy a charger i am so happy=D and thankyou for reminding me of that as i totally wouldnt have realised LOL :p Yea theyre probably quite the same..but with different plug voltage.

4. sims2

sims2 New Member

*edit* i am having problems in finding good download sites. Does anyone know of any good ones? free??

sorry about the double posting, wouldnt let me edit the other:S

5. hugzncuddles

hugzncuddles New Member

Free music downloads? We don't condone or support piracy of music here. We don't discuss illegal downloads. If you want to downlaod music, you can purchase songs from iTunes. :)

6. sims2

sims2 New Member

Oh right.sorry!
    Yes i understand due to the illegal side. I was generally just looking for somewhere to get songs=D
    Do MP3S have to be fully charged for the first time by the way?

7. hugzncuddles

hugzncuddles New Member

No problem. :) Not sure what you mean by fully charged. However, with regard to iTunes, you don't have to buy the whole album if you only like one or two songs from the album. It's a good way to get the specific songs that you like - 79p each. You can listen to a 30 second sample of the songs too, and I have found some good remixes of songs that you can't buy easily from the stores. When you buy the songs, they are downloaded and saved as a different file format, but you can then burn them to a cd as MP3s I believe. :)

8. sims2

sims2 New Member

Oh that is not a bad price.:) I have many CDS i shal put on my mp3 but the odd songs i do not have on CD i might just buy.
    I mean like you know when you first buy a mp3? and you put it on charge? does it have to be charged right to the top on your first time of using it?
    I am having a problem with my hardrive AMT something, it wont work:S

9. Sacharissa

Sacharissa New Member

I used to have a Sony MP3 player, and I LOVED it! However, once I got my iPod, I couldn't BELIEVE how much EASIER it was to manage my music on my laptop, and get it on the iPod! Plus, I LOVE the vast choice of accessories that are made for the iPod (everything from cases to speakers). I'd go with the iPod if I were you...Just my two cents...

10. sims2

sims2 New Member

I actually have a mp3 now:p However i didnt find my self using speakers etc i just wanted someone that would download, transfer my songs LOL! however if i did i would have definitely got an ipod:)
    ok here is a question, i hope im ok posting this. Does anyone understand this? This is what i get when i plug my mp3 in.

The connected ATRAC audio device cannot be used with the currently installed sonicstage. To use with the currently installed sonixstage, you must delete all tracks in the ATRAC audio device or initialize the hard drive of the ATRAC audio device.

Anyone ever had this problem? I dont undertand ATRAC. I get songs off my CDS to the computer easily. But this appears:S

11. Flameback777

Flameback777 Josh's Servant Staff Member

ATRAC is a compression method made by Sony a while back. All it does is make the mp3 smaller in size while losing some quality, so you can have more songs on your MP3 player.

You need to have the latest SonicStage program for it to be able to encode the music, or you could just put the MP3s straight on to the player.

12. sims2

sims2 New Member

Oh right. Well so far as i have just got CDs to put onto it, i put it into the mp3 mode and still it does not work. How would i get the latest software, do you know?Because this software is compatible as it came with the mp3:)

13. hataz_gon_hate

hataz_gon_hate Be Nice

A Creative Zen Vision:M is cool. Its much cheaper than the iPod Video with more features like FM Tuner, etc..

And if you also want something with built-in speakers, try the Samsung K5.

Its not too late!

14. sims2

sims2 New Member

But i do not think i can take this mp3 back! Can i never use this one because of the problem? I am not bothered about speakers but if this is not compatible i may well be easier going with an i-pod.
    But my computer has the right requirementsm so dont understand! Hopw can i by explaining it can i solve this problem:)?
    I am also not so bothered about the videos etc. But i pod would be my next choice.

15. alliekat

alliekat Insert quirky comment

To Flamey: Why the grim face?

16. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Benevolent Dictator Staff Member

Cause any technology Flamey touches, it manages to catch fire or for some odd reason, has an unexplained combustion reaction :p

jk

17. sims2

sims2 New Member

Hmm sorry i dont understand?what has this got anything to do with me and my mp3 not working LOL? I have managed to get some songs n finally! but it still doesnt work for me on my computer unless i am doing it wrong!