Troubleshooting my sims 2 and sims 3 crash to desktop

Discussion in 'The Sims 3' started by trixy_kitty, Nov 15, 2009.

1. trixy_kitty

trixy_kitty New Member

my sims 2 and sims 3 crash to desktop

ok i have had sims 2 for a while now it worked perfect till a few days ago but i have brought sims 3 now and when i get into them it just goes black screen and then crashes to desktop and my desktop background goes black aswell till i restart my computer here are the Dxdiag:

Attached Files:

2. swmeek

swmeek I got your benevolent dictator pal!!

You need to swap out the Nvidia driver with an older driver as the newer one is causing issues with both games.

3. VermilionPt96

VermilionPt96 New Member

Similar problem!

I have a similar problem, but I've never used it until today
    I tried downloading that Nvidia driver thing but it said wasn't the right driver for my hardware, I then tried several other ones but the same happened.
    I have no idea how to delete a driver anyway as I'm pretty rubbish with technology
    I've restarted my computer, uninstalled and re-installed Sims 3, tried the driver thing, but nothing seems to work.
    It's really annoying!
    DXDiag:
    View attachment 7317
    I could do with someone explaining how to do this driver stuff :D Thanks x

Attached Files:

4. swmeek

The Nvidia driver will not work on your system because you do not have an Nvidia based graphics system on your pc.
    Is this a laptop by chance?
    If so I do not believe the graphics setup you have is supported by the game.
    You might try going to your laptop's support site and download the latest video drivers for your laptop from there.
    If it's desktop try this link then .
    http://drivers.softpedia.com/get/GR...72FX-SiS672-SiSM672-SiS672MX-Driver-505.shtml
    I'm not sure on Vista the proper place to go to find out where your it lists your driver at so you can uninstall it first before you install a new driver.

5. VermilionPt96

VermilionPt96 New Member

I downloaded the latest SiS Mirage 3 Graphics driver but it still crashes to desktop!
    I have an Advent laptop and have scoured for hours on the internet but no where seems to help
    The Advent website is very unhelpful, it had nothing of use
    Any advice?
    I want to play! :) Thank you

6. swmeek

My only advice would be to start saving for pc with better specs.
    There is no way to upgrade a laptop's graphics chip.
    so you need to either consider another laptop (if it's your only solution) or a desktop with better specs.
    Your specs for the game should be something like at the least a -
    2.0 GHZ cpu (core 2 Duo or AMD Athlon equivalent) don't waste your money on a quad core or Intel Core I7 as it's way too overkill for Sims and there have been reported problems with the game running on quad cores.
    Do not get anything with a Intel Celeron or AMD Sempron as these cpu's are too weak for gaming.
    at least 2 GB's of ram
    a video card with at least 128 MB of ram on the card preferably 256 or better yet 512 MB of ram.
    Look for a Nvidia card that has a number like 7600,7800, 8600.8800,9600 or 9800 series . (look for a x600, x800 in the name)
    The newer gt 220's and gt 240's should work too.
    Do not get anything like the 8400 or 8500 series as these are more set up for business type applications and especially if they say Turbocache in the name of the card or in it's description.
    As far as ATI cards go I'm not familiar with these so maybe someone else with more knowledge of these cards would know.
    The 3850's and 4000 series cards should be fine.
    Also if you can avoid getting anything with an Intel graphics chipset as they're more set up for business apps and not gaming.
    Lastly look for something with a large hard drive (at least 500 GB) so you have plenty of room for storage .
    If you consider a desktop pc look for one with a power supply of at least 400 - 500 watts power output so that you can upgrade it later on down the road if need be.

7. Flameback777

Flameback777 Josh's Servant Staff Member

Wow, I'm always surprised when I see that SiS still exists. :p

If you do decide on a new computer, feel free to post links to ones you're looking at here for us to look over.

8. swmeek

Honestly I think game makers need to show on the boxes if something will not work.
    Like say do not attempt to play this on a SIS integrated system or you will have wasted your money!
    Vermillion where you located and what are able to spend on a pc?
    If you can afford it go with a custom buiit computer instead of one of the Dell , HP or Acer offerings.
    The majority of them are rubbish!

9. Flameback777

Flameback777 Josh's Servant Staff Member

All games that I have seen list the requirements including the graphics chipset. If yours is not listed then you risk the game not working.