My "Southern Living" House

Discussion in 'The Sims 2' started by Kristalrose, Mar 19, 2005.

1. Kristalrose

Kristalrose Wakey-Wakey!

My "Southern Living" House

Here it is, if you would like to try it out. I got the house layout from "Southern Living" Magazine. It's called the Monet House. It's unfurnished and undecorated.

[​IMG]

I can't figure out why it says there is custom content. I was very careful only to use the default content. :mad: I think after everyone from here that wants to downloads it, I will remove it so I don't make anyone mad, but for the life of me I can't figure it out!!

I think the rooms are too small, even though we used the 1 square=1 yard rule. We had to round many of the measurements down to make it work.

So, tell me how you (and your sims) like it! This is the 1st time I've tried to build a fancy house from house plans. I really am proud of the back terrace.:cool:

http://thesims2.ea.com/exchange/lot_detail.php?asset_id=123858&asset_type=lot&user_id=124521

2. Angelyne

Angelyne New Member

For some reason, packaging a house always includes custom content, even if you aren't using it in the house. It looks like a bug but for all I know it's "expected behavior".

Anyway, there are two solutions to prevent that. One, build your home from a clean copy of the Sims 2, that you reserve for only that purpose. You can then export it to your own neighbourhood. This certifies that you will have no hacks or custom content of any kind.

Second, use clean installer to open your house, check only your house and use "save as" to save under another name. That house should be clean.

I used to do that with houses I got on the internet, as I am very picky about what custom content I allow into my game. Sometimes it will create a problem with the house, sometimes not.

Now I have a new method. I use the MultiSims2PackExtract program to extract the content of a house to a folder. I then use the above method to create a house with no custom content. I export that to my neighbourhood and include the folder with the custom content into my download folder. This way if I want to get rid of the house, I can delete the folder and the house and it's all gone.

3. Daizee

Daizee New Member

I downloaded your house and am in the process of getting it ready for my new sim to move into when she gets out of college. I really like it. My boyfriend does landscaping and he has found that this game is a good place to try out new ideas so he does all my yards now (mine always ended up looking the same:rolleyes:) After it is done I will post a pic so you can see that we treated your house well:D

It looks like you put a lot of time and effort into it. GOOD JOB!!!!! and THANKS!!!!!!

4. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

Click the custom content tab
    [*] on the lot description page and it brings up:

4ea542bced3bd2924e4b1846800ff384_0001.package
    and
    merco_doorcolonialinside_knottypine.package

which should simplify the finding of (to delete) unwanted custom content. ;)

Nice house by the way, Kristal :cool:

5. Kristalrose

Kristalrose Wakey-Wakey!

Thanks Mirely. Yeah, I saw that after I downloaded, that's why I'm complaining. I didn't use the knotty pine whatever it is, and I didn't use any custom terrain, which is what it says is there. :( Maybe it's like Angelye says, that if it's like a bug.

Daizee: I can't wait to see what it looks like landscaped!! :) That makes my day! :)

6. XxJ3r3mYxX

XxJ3r3mYxX New Member

I am having trouble getting it transferred to the game cuz when I open it it saids application error, and it also gives a file location. I wonder why its doing this because ever since I have downloaded the EP I havn't been able to download lots from the internet and if so are there any hacks on the lot? I like keeping my game hack free.

7. ijRoberts

ijRoberts New Member

Kristal, I'd love to see some more shots of your house. The Simpages have a great feature that allow you to submit up to three screenshots of the house. You say you are proud of the back terrace, it'd be wonderful to see it! So far it looks great.

And I know what you mean about it including other things. A lot of my uploads say they included special terrains even though I didn't do anything with the terrain paint... I agree, I think it's a glitch.

8. Kristalrose

Kristalrose Wakey-Wakey!

None that I know of. I have been really careful about that. :confused:

9. XxJ3r3mYxX

XxJ3r3mYxX New Member

Well would anyone tell me why I'm not able to download lots in exchange, and why my computer saids that when I try to. It would be greatly appreciated.

10. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

er ... your computer says .... ? Can you tell us what it reports?

11. J. M. Pescado

J. M. Pescado Fat Obstreperous Jerk

Eh, it's okay. Not the best design I've seen, but better than Maxian ones. The upstairs bedrooms(?) could use an extension to 4x5, instead of 4x4, as 4x4 is too small to simultaneously host a double bed and a dresser. You'd lose the checkered blue corridor, but that one doesn't appear to lead to anything anyway. The access control on the stairwell looks good, though. Good place to plant one of many locking door options and keep marauding riffraff from invading the upstairs bedrooms, but the pool needs enclosing to prevent your visitors from beelining for it, then tromping around the house in their soggy swimsuits. The most major problem is the apparent lack of an enclosed and seperate non-dining kitchen, which means you won't be able to seal off the fridge area and prevent your visitors from ransacking it at great cost to you, an annoying habit they've reportedly taken up post-expansion. I also didn't see any room that appeared to be positioned and proportioned appropriately to serve as a baby nursery, which means your sims won't be raising much of a family in this without the visitors constantly molesting the babies. The block stairs you appear to have used also represent a major traffic bottleneck, as only one sim can use a block staircase at a time. With no secondary backups, that's a major traffic obstruction in your house.

It's also much too large for a 20K, and much too small for an upgrade-home, meaning it's really only useful to people who cheat.

All in all, I give it a D+.

12. XxJ3r3mYxX

XxJ3r3mYxX New Member

Yea sure, its saids. C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\KTGPYB4D\Monet House[1].Sims2pack

Application not found.

13. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Benevolent Dictator Staff Member

Rather than Open, save it to the desktop and then open it up :)

14. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

And stop using crappy old Internet Explorer 5 (well past its sell by date!) and download the funky free new Firefox at http://www.mozilla.org/ and have browser that works properly and can be made to look like anything you want ... I like cute l'il puddy cats ... :)

Attached Files:

15. XxJ3r3mYxX

XxJ3r3mYxX New Member

Ok, I did this and saved it to my desktop but when I try to open it from here it saids this. C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Desktop\Monet House.Sims2pack

Application not found

When I click on the icon it ask me what program I want the open the file with. Heres what the icon looks like.

Attached Files:

16. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

Cool, thanks! Your pic shows that Windows doesn't know what to do with a *.Sims2Pack file. The clue is the icon ... if The Sims 2 is properly installed then windows will recognize a *.Sims2Pack file and give it an icon as below ... d'ya like my kitty cat desktop wallpaper? ;)

OK ... serious time. Why doesn't Windoze know what a sims2pack file file is?

Possible answers include:
    • Corrupted installation. You need to reinstall the whole game
    • You are using a virtual CD image or NO CD hack or you have a pirated game

Attached Files:

17. XxJ3r3mYxX

XxJ3r3mYxX New Member

Well I try that. I had trouble installing University pack because it wouldn't update correctly and I had to totally uninstall sims 2. Ever since ive gotten university it just does that for some reason, and ya I think thats pretty cool.. how did ya do that do that to your I.E.

18. Flameangel

Flameangel New Member

I like the wallpaper.

19. Kristalrose

Kristalrose Wakey-Wakey!

JMP, that blue checked "hallway" is the kid's bathroom.

Yeah, I agree with you about the size of the bedrooms. I finally got around to furnishing it last night, and only had one bedroom with room for the dresser and full-sized bed. And the living room is too small. And the den. :( I think that most of my parties will be outside on the terrace at that house. And I also think that from now on, I will round up instead of down when I convert the yards to Sims Squares. :eek:

20. Kristalrose

Kristalrose Wakey-Wakey!

More Pictures By Request

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]