How Do I Need help downloading? Then this is the thread for you!

Discussion in 'The Sims 2' started by muffin-tacos, Aug 18, 2007.

1. muffin-tacos

muffin-tacos Queen of Xeex

Need help downloading? Then this is the thread for you!

Don't know how to download? Then this is the thread you're looking for! All downloading newbies rejoice!! :D

Here's a list of very useful links that are bound to help you out in some way: (one of which belongs to Mirelly's FAQ thread which you should have checked before coming here to ask lots of questions!)

Simply click on the links below to open them.(Mirelly's. I thought I'd stick it here 'cause people seem to have some problem with checking the extra shiny FAQs :rolleyes:)Great for idiots like me! Really useful. You can find help about extracting RAR and ZIP files, installing package files, identifying files etc. -- All you need to know!

NOTE that the name isn't supposed to be offensive, just a little silly, like the writer says herself. This is for the more advanced 'puter users out there. If you don't think you "qualify" as an advanced computer user or you can't find answers in this guide then try the Idiot's guide.

:alert: If your computer doesn't recognise the RAR files and that's what's got you all confusled, then you're going to need to download WinRAR off the official site. DOWNLOAD FROM THE OFFICIAL SITE HERE :alert:

Quick questions, quick answers:

1. Downloading with Q-Express
    2. Can you recommend any good download sites?
    3. Some of the downloads I downloaded aren't showing up in my game. HELP!!!
    4. Where can I find meshes??
    5. How do I enable my custom objects in my game??
    6. I've downloaded the mesh, enabled the custom content and my downloads STILL don't show up in my game. What gives??
    7. Some of the objects show up blue in my game...
    8. My game has been crashing a lot ever since I downloaded something.
    9. What are meshes?

Edit notes: jupitershana; edited to add link to FAQ thread for extra help!

2. muffin-tacos

Thanks Shana. :D

3. jupitershana

jupitershana Kitty Fanatic!

You're very welcome; I didn't sticky it though. Great rundown though, it's helpful!

4. muffin-tacos

Quick questions, quick answers

DOWNLOADING WITH Q-EXPRESS

Some sites let you download with Q-express (Mod the sims 2 for example) and to those of you thinking of downloading it, then my advice to you is: DOWNLOAD IT! It's the most fantastic thing that makes your downloads go double as fast. No more having to unzip those pesky .zip and .rar files and then sticking them into your downloads folder. Q-Express does that all for you.

Before downloading Q-Express, I suggest you read the tutorial on how to use it first: You can also download it from the tutorial. :)

5. muffin-tacos

Can you recommend any good download sites?

Of course we can! You're lookin' at some pro downloaders here. :praise:
    In fact, we have a thread about our fav download sites (see here).

6. muffin-tacos

Some of the downloads that I downloaded aren't showing up in my game. HELP!!!

You either didn't download the mesh (things like clothes, hair and furniture need meshes to work properly most of the time) or you haven't enabled your custom objects.

Some downloads need a program called the CEP - Colour Enable Package to show up in your game. This is mainly needed for Maxis recolors. If a download requires this program to work, the creator should have put a note about it somewhere on his/her page. If they haven't, then it's a bad creator and it's not worth downloading the stuff -- no matter how pretty you think it is.

RECOLORS, EYES AND ACCESSORIES RARELY NEED MESHES.

Where can I find meshes??

Either the mesh/-es comes with the download (in that case, the creator should have told you) or there's a link to the mesh that's needed somewhere on the page. If the thing you are downloading doesn't need a mesh (eyes for example) then you don't need to go looking for one.

How do I enable my custom objects in my game??

Click on Options (the three dots ... at the bottom of your screen) then on Game Options. In the right hand corner you will see a big star -- kind of like this one * but bigger -- which is in the corner of all the custom contents you have in the game. Click on it and you can enable your custom objects from there.

NOTE: You have to start your game again for the custom objects to actually show up.

7. muffin-tacos

I've downloaded the mesh, enabled the custom content and my downloads STILL don't show up in my game. What gives??

Are you SURE that you have downloaded the mesh, enabled the custom content and started your game again? Once you're 100% sure that you've done all those things and the content still doesn't show up, post a thread here about it. You have my permission to. :p

Some of the objects show up blue in my game...

Mesh needed.

My game has been crashing a lot ever since I downloaded something.

That's what we like to call a bad download. Delete it from your downloads folder or while you're in the game (if you can) and hopefully everything will go back to normal. If your game is still playing up on you after that, it's either a different download or something else is causing the problem.

8. muffin-tacos

What are meshes?

It's that simple. :)

You download meshes the same way you download everything else. (Take a look at the Idiots Guide tutorial that I posted above for more information about meshes.)