New House: The Wilmington

Discussion in 'The Sims 2' started by Kristalrose, Jan 8, 2006.

1. Kristalrose

Kristalrose Wakey-Wakey!

New House: The Wilmington

http://thesims2.ea.com/exchange/lot_detail.php?asset_id=294490&asset_type=lot&user_id=124521

Worked for four hours on this one last night!! I didn't get it exactly the way I wanted it, It's supposed to have a wrap-around porch on the end of it, and the roofing tool, arrgh!! LOL Anyway, There's plenty of room in the basement for a home business once OFB comes out. :) It's 4 bedrooms, 3 baths, plus a huge 3 car garage and a nice playroom upstairs. :) I haven't moved any sims onto the lot, so if someone wouldn't mind, if they do move some sims in, let me know how it plays. Thanks.

2. babewithbrains_14

babewithbrains_14 The Offtopic Queen!!!

Really nice - I especially love the garage. I really want to download, but my memory is chock-a-block!!!

3. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

Yeah it looks pretty darn good, Kristal. Just downloaded it and am impressed. I never thought of trying to stack drives side by side ... geez I'm such a dork :p

4. babewithbrains_14

Also discovered I am not signed up to that site. :p

5. Kristalrose

Kristalrose Wakey-Wakey!

Thanks y'all. Mirelly, have you had a chance to play it yet? Babe: What do you mean you don't have a login to the official exchange! :p

6. babewithbrains_14

I dunno really - somebody told me you had to pay membership, and then I found out you didn't, and then I got hungry, and then I just forgot.

7. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

'S funny that people here don't seem interested in downloading houses ... or if they do they don't feel inclined to pass on comment, whether positive or negative. Either way it is a shame.

Kristal. Your house. No I haven't played it yet. It's true that I like it but there were also some areas that caused me concern ... especially the single stairway access to the upper floor. Also some of the rooms seemed to have gotten lost in terms of proportion and this seemed a shame given that it was clear that you had worked pretty hard in seeking a balanced compromise between a real architect's plan and what is actually possible/permissible in the simiverse.

Since I downloaded it I have taken it apart and put it back together a number of times. Mostly this was an exercise in futility but it also served to familiarize myself with the house's basic layout and principles upon which its circulation and volume usage were conceivably based. I did try to find the plan you used but found only real estate to buy in NC -- if I win the $200 million Euromillions lotto payola maybe I'll buy one of them ... I always fancied having a house for every day of the year ;)

Anyway. For the last 2 days I have been laid up with the mother of all upper respiratory tract infections and during the too many periods of lucidity I dreamed up a number of ideas that I was quite excited about trying out.

So to cut short an otherwise shaggy dog yarn ... I present:-

The Federal which employs a roofslopeangle of 30.96375 (which, as everyone knows, has a TAN of 0.6 :rolleyes: ;) )

I slapped in 4 bedrooms on the upper floor instead of the 3 in the original and I also gave them each a private bath or shower-room. As a Britlander I also used up some internal ground-level space to provide an internal plunge pool and spa (hint to JakeThe Dane this is actually a basement so the garage is 'technically' underground ... on a plot with the right contours it should be possible to possible to build a house where only the garage doors show ;) ) .

I would still love to see the original plan, if you have a link, because I am now fascinated to see what 'we' started out with :p

Anyway hope ya like my efforts ... I'm offski now to see how it plays :D

8. Kristalrose

Kristalrose Wakey-Wakey!

Wow, Mirelly! I just downloaded it and took a look. It's beautiful. :)

I don't have a link to the original floorplans: It was from a book called, "140 New Colonial Homes". Hubby bought it for me for Christmas.

Sorry you've been sick. We've all had the stomach flu here, and my turn was today. :( This is the 1st time I've pulled myself off the couch. :rolleyes:

9. ijRoberts

ijRoberts New Member

I've kind of noticed that on these forums too, Mirelly. Most of the time you get the same two or three people making comments, and I think a lot of those comments just come from those two or three people feeling bad that no one ELSE is making comments.

I've just recently uploaded two of my builds to ModTheSims2 and gotten some really good feedback. Not saying that people shouldn't come here to tell of creations, but that there are other avenues as well.

Mirelly, the house in your last post is really cool looking, and quite realistic as well. I imagine I could see it in any suburb!

10. Lynet

Lynet New Member

I come here and look at the houses and my jaw drops and I think, Uh, WOW.

So what I'm saying is, WOW. They're great.

I've downloaded several of these houses. They're currently in storage (the house bin) waiting for me to play with them. I always appreciate the beautiful stuff others upload even if I haven't said anything. :eek: I'll try to be more verbal. :D

I think a lot of other people here are just shy.

11. babewithbrains_14

:eek: I am. I'm really really shy. :eek:

12. surprised_by_witches

surprised_by_witches Sleep deprived

Just spit out my coffee, thanks Babe. You owe me a new keyboard. :p

I don't download houses because my game became buggy after I did so. I'm not saying your houses are buggy, just that I'm afraid to download any houses now. I almost lost my entire town.

So, I stick to clothes and other single items. Less chance for them to piggyback stuff, at least that's my theory.

But, your house is tres cool, Mirelly. I always like to see what other people have designed. Gives me ideas for my own sim town.

13. HelloKit

HelloKit New Member

My 2-cents on this... It's nothing against any of you who make lots for download, but I have never downloaded a lot and never will, simply for the reason that hacks can piggyback in on them without the creator even knowing about it. If Maxis ever decides to stop renaming packages that install with lots to useless nonsense filenames, and to list all packages that are being installed with a lot, then I'll change my rule. But it's nothing against any of you... it's Maxis' fault.

14. surprised_by_witches

surprised_by_witches Sleep deprived

Yeah, my game is kind of cursed. I'd hate to share that with others, and since I don't know how to fix it I don't post things for download. And I don't download houses.

You're absolutely right. Who knows what weird code gets "stuck" in a house? Clothing is just one item, but a house is chock full of stuff.

15. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

I beg to differ with youse two. :rolleyes:

I certainly would not download a lot of any description from a fan site. Just too much effort to check the thing is clean after d'loading it.

But lots on the official exchange, such as the ones listed in this thread, can be seen to be hack free.

This is because when a house is packaged the file simply consists of alist of the Maxis made resources that a needed to build (and furnish) the house. If the builder also used some third party (custom) content, then that stuff is packaged in toto along with the base package (this is because a custom item cannot be described and instead has to be physically added to the package.)

THEREFORE
    A house on the exchange with no yellow asterisk warning of the inclusion of custom content can be taken to contain only Maxis made material - even Maxoid Monkey items are classed as custom.

I alwasy declare my own lots to be guaranteed hack free because I build them with the game running without a downloads folder and I avoid furnishing and fancy decoration (and planting) because those are subject to personal taste. I do lay out bathrooms and the kitchen because thos areas need careful design to optimise their use.

Sorry to have gone rambling on ... :p

16. Lynet

Lynet New Member

I'm convinced your houses are hack free, Mirelly. I have downloaded them from the exchange (as fast a possible since they clean house over there so frequently) and I did notice that they were entirely Maxis material. That's impressive all by itself. I wish I could here and now say how wonderful they were to play in but I've been so busy building weird stuff and working the lives of Errol and Harcourt that I haven't settled down to a normal suburban sim life yet.

I don't expect to have any problems with them. They look beautiful. I'm going to need them for my future Sparrow generations after I'm done building bamboo huts, mudbrick hovels and I don't yet know what other craziness. :rolleyes:

I'm afraid to upload anything I make because I don't create it in a downloads free environment. And I use carpets, tiles, wall coverings, etc. that I've found at places like Parsimonious (that stuff is great, the "water" ground cover, for instance.)

17. HelloKit

HelloKit New Member

Mirelly, again, don't take it personally, but on this I just choose to trust no one. ;) And as far as the yellow asterisk, well, I trust Maxis least of all.

18. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

LMAO, Kit. No offence taken. Safer is better than sorrier ;)

19. Sacharissa

Sacharissa New Member

Darn! I missed it!! Barely a month old, and the house has already been purged!:confused:

20. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member