Troubleshooting New Problem

Discussion in 'The Sims 2' started by Niv, Jan 2, 2008.

1. Niv

Niv New Member

New Problem

I have a problem with The Sims 2. I installed it correctly and fine, but when I go to play it, It displays the Sims 2 logo then It closes and I get a problem report from microsoft. I tried re-instaling it, but after 3 attempts the same thing happens. My computer is perfectly capable of running the game and has done before. Any help would be muchly appreciated.

2. hugzncuddles

hugzncuddles New Member

Hi Niv. Could you give us some more details please? System spec and the exact error message would help us towards pinpointing the cause of the problem. Are your drivers up to date?

3. Niv

Niv New Member

The Sims 2 has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.

here is the error report: AppName: sims2.exe AppVer: 1.0.0.932 ModName: ~df394b.tmp
    ModVer: 0.0.0.0 Offset: 0008e86b

and the affected file: D:\temp\7ab2_appcompat.txt

not sure about my drivers cause my brother sets up my comp. But I kinda know my specs.

15 GB HDD, 3.8 GB free space
    nvidia geforce 5600
    directx is over 9, not sure how far its up to.
    processor is intel 2.6
    512 MB of RAM
    48X CD drive

that's all I can remember, hope it helps.

4. Judhudson

Judhudson is a Hi-Tech Redneck

5. Niv

Niv New Member

yeah, I'm on XP. What should I do if the driver doesn't work?

6. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

Pessimism is not an option :rolleyes:

7. Niv

Niv New Member

I downloaded that driver and installed it, but the same thing happened. What now?

8. Judhudson

We try something else, that's what :)

Do you know what is in the "D:\temp\" folder? That normally shouldn't exist unless someone created it...

Also, I'm not accusing you or your brother, but is this a legimate copy or a downloaded version? Have to ask, as because if you downloaded it, you are bound to have issues such as this.

We have to figure out what is with that "temp" folder on drive D.

Can you tell me the path of where your sims2.exe file is.

Oh, and I doubt this helps, but have you did a virus scan on your computer as of lately? Something could be of conflict with that...

Now I'm just rambling, lol...

9. Niv

Niv New Member

I see a lot of .tmp files, some notepads and folders. I searched it but couldn't find the affected file. I did however find a couple of sims 2 related files, as well as files for other games that I have that work.

It's a legitimate CD version.

the path is D:\Games\New Folder\TSBin

I did a disc cleanup to make room for the game.

10. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

The renaming \New Folder\

The Sims 2

The game is probably not liking the name you allowed Windows to choose.

11. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

Try renaming \New Folder\

The Sims 2

The game is probably not liking the name you allowed Windows to choose.

12. Niv

Niv New Member

It said if I name it sims 2 it could make programs not work. Besides it was named Sims 2 last time I installed it without luck.

13. Niv

Niv New Member

Hmm, It just told me that the path is invalid. I'll try reinstalling it straight to D drive

14. Niv

Niv New Member

Interestingly enough, after I did the installation wizard bit, the same error message came up but for EAreg. then installation occurred as normal. Still the same problem with the same file that doesn't exist as far as I'm concerned. :(

15. Judhudson

Does a "C" drive exist by any chance? Maybe it's bugging up because it wants to think Windows is installed on the "C" drive and that's where the files like the Downloads, Lots, Characters, etc want to be at.

This is completely stumping me.

16. Niv

Niv New Member

There is a C drive but It's way too small for sims 2, But it's not big enough. Only 200MB free space. I'll have a look at EA's technical Information just in case.

17. Odinmoon

Odinmoon Creator of organised mess

what drive is your my documents folder?

18. Niv

Niv New Member

Not sure if it helps, but it's straight on My Computer.

19. Odinmoon

Odinmoon Creator of organised mess

I would gather you have it in C: drive. and with windows there as well. It migh be too filled to run the game. i have my documents on D: drive So it has all the space it needs. Also swapfile or some call it page file, might not have enough room If its on C: drive. not totally sure this is the prob. But maybe someone else can add from here.

20. Niv

Niv New Member

Nah I've got sims 2 on D which is only games and plenty of space. I am suspicious about these temp files though, and will have to contact my brother to find out about them. This problem is really starting to tick me off now!