Troubleshooting New problems

Discussion in 'The Sims 3' started by KatKitoshi, Jun 14, 2009.

1. KatKitoshi

KatKitoshi New Member

New problems

it's happening again ^^;. I was working fine for a good while, but then some weird stuff happened. For starters, the game went from looking normal and bright, to -really- dim and dark. At first I thought it was my monitor but when I switched out of the game to the desktop it looked fine. I brushed this off since I thought this was a result of changing the drivers but when I play again it's bright again. Another issue is that all of a sudden, the music in the game doesn't work. The sounds from the intro, in game instruments, and file menus still work, but the create a sim, map, and in game radio are all silent.
    Another thing, this was a bit random but, one of my families suddenly vanished from their home o_o. I had a character speak to the boyfriend of a member there, and it still mentioned their name, until I went to visit the home it said no one lived there, and speaking to the boyfriend again suddenly revealed single status

Also it started doing the black screen blinking again, only this time it seems to be switching not just between the game and the black screen, but between the game looking bright, and dim.

@_@ what happened this time??

dxdiag is attached

Attached Files:

2. KatKitoshi

KatKitoshi New Member

help please ~.~

3. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Benevolent Dictator Staff Member

Could you take a few screenshots and upload them? :)

4. KatKitoshi

KatKitoshi New Member

sure! I'll do that as soon as I get home from work ^_^

5. KatKitoshi

KatKitoshi New Member

Ok here they go:
    1st pic. The game plays normally and looks fine
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v628/katkitoshi/The Sims/Screenshot-12-1.jpg

2nd pic: About half an hour into it, it stalls, turns to a black screen a couple times, then goes dark
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v628/katkitoshi/The Sims/Dark.jpg I had to screencap this one because the in game picture came out bright @_@ when it wasn't.

I had false hope for awhile with the first one because it stayed bright and played fine, but soon enough, the black screen, then dimness ^^;
    What also happens, when I alt+tab out into the desktop after it blacks out like that, this message pops up
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v628/katkitoshi/The Sims/Error.jpg

that used to pop up the first time as well ^^ before I installed the other drivers.

6. swmeek

swmeek I got your benevolent dictator pal!!

Laptop or desktop?
    It looks to me like it could be overheating but seeings how it's an integrated intel video chipset (eewwww) it's hard to say .
    Make sure you have the latest intel drivers for your chipset would be a starter.
    If it's a laptop try elevating the laptop off the desk or table and point a small fan at it so it will blow air under the bottom of it where the vents are .
    If it's a desktop check all the vents and fans and make sure they're free and clear with plenty of space around the case so it can draw in cool air.
    Another thing is if you're using Aero disable it.
    If you don't know how to google "turning off Aero" and you should be able to find instructions on how to do so!

7. KatKitoshi

KatKitoshi New Member

It's a desktop, and I already shut off Aero o_o so it's just overheating?... hmm... I'll try and see if my fan has dust on it or something and clean it up, that helped my bro's comp when the fan was louder than it used to XD. I'll get back to you guys with that X3

and yeah integrated o_o, that means it's built in and I can't like... but a better one right? ^^;;;;;

8. Flameback777

Flameback777 Josh's Servant Staff Member

Windows is telling you correctly what is happening. The display driver is encountering an error so Windows stops it and restarts it. Try updating your graphic drivers. Not sure if it being a HP if that makes a difference.

9. swmeek

Sometimes if you're lucky a motherboard will come integrated graphics and a expansion slot for a video card.
    But the problem is if the cheap a$$es at HP put in a big enough power supply to handle a video card's watt requirement.
    Click on my name and I have some pics in my gallery of different expansions slots that you can look at and determine what you have (if you're lucky).
    Then when you have the case cover off some times you can look at the motherboard at the topmost slot (usually) and see if it's equipped with one or look through your paper work from the computer for the expansion slot info as well as the size of the power supply (watts output) or you'll have to look at the power supply itself for a tag that says something like 300 watts max output.

10. KatKitoshi

KatKitoshi New Member

hey I'm back ^^. Well, I wasn't sure if my comp had slots for other video cards or not, so I took a few pics of the insides in hopes one of you could point it out (if I have one T.T)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v628/katkitoshi/SN851320.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v628/katkitoshi/SN851319.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v628/katkitoshi/SN851321.jpg

my bro double checked some stuff and it looks like I also have a small cache. Not sure if that makes a diff but so far the main issue still seems to be the video card @_@.

11. swmeek

In the top picture can you push those white wires to the side so we can see the brown or black slot behind them or you can click my name and look at some pictures I have of different expansion slots.
    Looks like you have what's called a micro-atx motherbaord which if the case is a small one a good gaming card might be hard pressed to fit in that case!
    The top white slot is a regular pci slot btw!

12. Flameback777

Flameback777 Josh's Servant Staff Member

Looks like a PCI-E slot to me. =]

13. swmeek

For her sake it would be nice but if it a m-atx board she may have problems fitting a graphics card in that case.