Troubleshooting Newly Installed Sims 2 Game Crash

Discussion in 'The Sims 2' started by calia386, Mar 10, 2006.

1. calia386

calia386 New Member

Newly Installed Sims 2 Game Crash

I just recently bought the "Sims 2" and downloaded it onto my computer.
    My computer is a "Compaq Presario" with 512 MB of Ram, 80 GB on harddrive with a "Invidia FX5500" Graphics card.
    All of my other high graphics games play fine, but when I turn on "The Sims 2" it starts up with a black screen and a little white box on the upper left side with a red X.(This doesn't show up when my son runs it on his laptop) and the intro plays all up until after the girl jumps in the pool and a screen starts up-the game freezes and then crashes-every time. It won't play, it just has a box that pops up saying the game has crashed.
    I have "Norton Antivirus" but it isn't running, and I have turned off all firewalls.
    I use "CTRL/ALT/DELETE to shut off any unwanted programs, but this does no good. I have tested my graphics card and have all current updates -that is fine, so what else can it be?
    My "Sims 1" plays fine.
    Any Suggestions? I am at a loss for this.

2. Diablox

Diablox New Member

Hmm...

I also have the same problem like you have, but I got to play the game fine for 4-5 months ago, but not anymore...(Wierd, still have the same pc)
    Try and update The Sims 2 with the newest patch.
    http://thesims2.ea.com/update/
    (Have you ever innstalled need for speed most wanted on your computer?)
    (When I'm about to innstall the game, and when you get to the screen where you can chose where to innstall the game, I see a picture of need for speed most wanted, that's wierd).

3. Diablox

Diablox New Member

Hmm...Try this...

1. Right-click on The Sims 2 icon on your desktop and choose Properties.
    2. Click with your mouse at the end of the highlighted Target line. This should put your cursor at the end of the line and cause the line to no longer be highlighted.
    3. Add a space and then type -w without the quotes.
    4. Add another space and then type -nosound without the quotes.
    5. Click Apply and then OK.
    Does the game still crashes?