Troubleshooting Nightlife/Sims 2 PC Reboots!

Discussion in 'The Sims 2' started by Serena, May 14, 2006.

1. Serena

Serena New Member

Nightlife/Sims 2 PC Reboots!

I just got the Sims 2 and Nightlife for PC a few weeks ago. We ordered it online and installed it. Several times we tried to play it and it either wouldn't let us save, and the computer would reboot, or it would just reboot when I tried to do something, like take a picture in the photobooth. Please help!
    We brought the game to the store at which we bought it, and they tried it. Nothing wrong happened there. Our computer is brand new, we bought it last November of 2005.
    If anyone can help, please reply or email me @ cococola_17@hotmail.com thank-you :)

:confused:

2. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

Check the FAQ's and please post your computer's specifications as described in the FAQs "how to" ... there's a link to the FAQ's at head of this forum and also in my signature

3. Serena

Serena New Member

1. Your SystemResultsGame RequirementsOperating SystemMicrosoft Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2 (Build 2600)PassWindows XP/2000/98/MESystem Memory503.7Pass256.0Processor Speed2933.5Pass800 MHzDirectX Version9.0cPass9.0cDisplay DeviceIntel(R) 82915G/GV/910GL Express Chipset FamilyUnknown CompatibilityDisplay Memory64.0Pass32.0Display Driver6.14.10.4543Unknown CompatibilitySound DeviceRealtek HD Audio rear outputPassSound Driver5.10.00.5125Unknown CompatibilityOperating System InformationMicrosoft Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2 (Build 2600)

Internet Explorer InformationVersion 7.00.5296.0000System Device InformationProcessorIntel Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.93GHz 2933.5 Mhz

MemorySystem Total 503.7Virtual Total 2047.9Pagefile Total 1229.7 Snapshot

System Available 117.5Virtual Available 1984.8Pagefile Available 847.7Monitor InformationMonitor Name LG FLATRON L1720P(Analog)Refresh Rate 75 HzNetwork Card InformationName Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network Connection - Packet Scheduler MiniportIP Address 207.6.50.140Subnet Mask 255.255.248.0Gateway 207.6.48.254Primary WINS Server N/ADHCP 64.114.195.133System Device InformationBackground Processes InformationProcess Name [System Process]Process Name SystemProcess Name smss.exeProcess Name csrss.exeProcess Name winlogon.exeProcess Name services.exeProcess Name lsass.exeProcess Name svchost.exeProcess Name svchost.exeProcess Name svchost.exeProcess Name svchost.exeProcess Name svchost.exeProcess Name spoolsv.exeProcess Name explorer.exeProcess Name PDVDServ.exeProcess Name zHotkey.exeProcess Name shwiconEM.exeProcess Name MotiveSB.exeProcess Name WkUFind.exeProcess Name realsched.exeProcess Name hpztsb04.exeProcess Name hphmon03.exeProcess Name qttask.exeProcess Name SoundMan.exeProcess Name ALCWZRD.EXEProcess Name YahooCentral.exeProcess Name issch.exeProcess Name MsgPlus.exeProcess Name igfxtray.exeProcess Name hkcmd.exeProcess Name igfxpers.exeProcess Name Freedom.exeProcess Name CTSVCCDA.EXEProcess Name iexplore.exeProcess Name dvpapi.exeProcess Name iexplore.exeProcess Name svchost.exeProcess Name BigFix.exeProcess Name BBDTMngr.exeProcess Name wdfmgr.exeProcess Name MsPMSPSv.exeProcess Name mpbtn.exeProcess Name alg.exeProcess Name iexplore.exeProcess Name EasyInfo.exeProcess Name wmiprvse.exeMedia Device InformationMass Storage DevicesType FixedFile System NTFSTotal Space 186.3 GBFree Space 146.8 GBMass Storage DevicesType CD / DVD DriveFile System CDFSTotal Space 592.5 MBFree Space 0 BytesMass Storage DevicesType CD / DVD DriveFile System N/ATotal Space 0 BytesFree Space 0 BytesMass Storage DevicesType RemovableFile System N/ATotal Space 0 BytesFree Space 0 BytesMass Storage DevicesType RemovableFile System N/ATotal Space 0 BytesFree Space 0 BytesMass Storage DevicesType RemovableFile System N/ATotal Space 0 BytesFree Space 0 BytesMass Storage DevicesType RemovableFile System N/ATotal Space 0 BytesFree Space 0 BytesMass Storage DevicesType RemovableFile System N/ATotal Space 0 BytesFree Space 0 BytesDirectX InformationVersion 9.0cLong Version 4.09.0000.0904Display Device (Primary Only)Intel(R) 82915G/GV/910GL Express Chipset Family

Device

Description Intel(R) 82915G/GV/910GL Express Chipset FamilyManufacturer Intel CorporationGUID D7B78E66-66C2-11CF-CB73-3760ABC2CD35 Driver

Version 6.14.10.4543Module ialmrnt5.dllDate 3-23-2006 Memory

Local 64.0Local 55.2Non-Local 0.0Texture 55.2Sound Device (Primary Only)Realtek HD Audio rear output

Device

Description Realtek HD Audio rear outputManufacturer Realtek Semiconductor Corp.GUID BD6DD71A-3DEB-11D1-B171-00C04FC20003 Driver

Version 5.10.00.5125Module RtkHDAud.sysDate 5-12-2005 Capabilities

Max 3D Buffers 33Supports Mono Output TrueSupports Stereo Output True
    on save sims 2 with nighlife extension pack shuts down and computer restarts.
    1. Processor:
    2. System Memory RAM (MB/GB)
    3. Windows Version (98/XP etc.)
    4. Free Hard Disk Space
    5. Total Hard Disk Space
    6. DirectX Version
    7. Display Adapter (Graphic/Video Card) Name & Model Number
    8. Display Driver Name and Version Number & date
    9. Approximate Total Video Memory
    10. Game Detail (eg: Sims 2 CD or DVD Version, expansion packs owned)
    11. Nature of problem (more details the better)

4. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

OK

First take the laptop to a PC store and ask for a RAM upgrade. You should be able to add at least 256MB but add as much as you can afford. If you want to save money, use Google to search for "laptop memory" and buy it online ... it is extremely easy to install it just fits into a slot found underneath a little hatch on the bottom of the case.

Next start up the game and before doing anything else

Press F5 and click on the display option button

On the Display Options panel

Choose the lowest possible settings for all graphical options that are not already set at the lowest level

Then try playing the game and report back if problems persist.

If you fix the problem feel free to experiment by raising one setting one notch at a time until problems begin to creep in ... fixing issues like this is more trial and error than brain-work :(

5. Serena

Serena New Member

okay thank-you :) we will try that, and afterwards, I will report ;) if it worked, :rolleyes:

6. Serena

Serena New Member

It did not work! :( I know many people having their own problems, but this one has got to be one of the most annoying. If only it would save, and stop restarting when I try to do something, then I would play the game no matter what else!

7. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

Did you add any extra memory? How much?

I am puzzled that you cannot get it to run at all ...

There is a newer driver for your Graphics adapter ... let's try that next :)

Got to http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scripts-df-external/Support_Intel.aspx?lang=eng

You want to follow the path >>

> Graphics
    >> Desktop Graphics Controllers
    >>> Products: Intel 82915G/82910GL Express Chipset Family
    >>>> Then select your operating system: Windows XP Home Edition

You want the first of the two downloads.

If you get an error "Download Not Found" message just start over.

The download is 5.6MB and after the download is complete, you should doubled click it to install it.

That driver is dated 3/36/06 so it's at least 4 months younger than your puter ... let's hope it makes a difference, eh? ;)

8. Serena

Serena New Member

Well, we also just got a new Graphics Driver from Intel. and I can play the game, but my computer restarts mostly when I try to save, though it also happens when I try random things like go to town, or take a picture in the photobooth. Thanks, I will look into that :)

Oh and what do you mean by 'extra money'?

9. Serena

Serena New Member

I cant seem to edit my last post, but we do have that Graphics Driver, so that's not the problem....it has to be something to do with our computer, because it has worked at all of the stores, though, dosn't th always happen? lol I just wish it would save, then I wouldn't care if it was slow or whatever :)

10. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

Hmm. This will definitely turn out to be a graphical issue. "Going to town" forces a save so that's linked with the general problem but taking a picture in the photobooth is requiring some serious photo-editing to occur in the "background". Can you also check the Camera settings in the F5 option menu (from the neighborhood screen) set all those options at the lowest level then load up a household, take a single random snaphsot by pressing C and then try to save and exit ...

It's possible that your puter is choking on an old snapshot.bmp that is somehow corrupted ... *crosses fingers for luck*

11. Serena

Serena New Member

and that will somehow cause my computer to restart? lol my fingers are stiff from being crossed for so long :(

12. babiigurlbrittx3

babiigurlbrittx3 New Member

I am having the exact same problem. I have contacted customer support like 6 times already and nothing they have been telling me to do has worked. If anyone knows how to fix it please tell me. I am still getting help from customer support, but I doubt I am going to be able to play anytime soon. It so annoying. It dosn't let me take pictures, videos, or save. What is really weird is I have the same type of graphics card and sound card as you. Has anything worked yet for you? I have tried reinstalling DirectX, lowering the sound acceleration, completely removing The Sims 2 and reinstalling it but nothing worked.

13. simcrazy5000

simcrazy5000 Random Crazy Person

I try to help out and put my 2 cents in for every problem I see but this problem is so puzzling that there is nothing left I can think of. the only last possible thing is trying to upgrade to a new PC - please don't think that I'm TELLING you to buy a new computer but suggesting it.

14. jenpat

jenpat New Member

fix to ialrmnt5 issue

i know this is not what you would think but the ialrmnt5 problem is not really a video card problem or driver problem. it is a sound card issue. i actually talked to a professional that said the following advice that the guy gave in the link below is correct. i tried it and it worked!!!!! so go to the link below and follow the guys advice. it is a forum for a different game but it works!!

http://nwn.bioware.com/forums/viewto...96301&forum=49

or if you have the same sound card i do which is Realtek High Def Audio system built into the computer. then follow this link which will take you to the correct driver update for the sound card.

http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/...Audio%20CODECs