Troubleshooting No custom Content showing up.

Discussion in 'The Sims 2' started by CBloc757, Jan 31, 2006.

1. CBloc757

CBloc757 New Member

No custom Content showing up.

OK, heres the play by play. I just re-installed the Sims 2 2 nights ago. And i spent the last 2 days pretty much downloading custom content (ex. Skins, objects, etc.) OK, last night I had about 700 items, all worked fine. Well today, I downloaded a good 800 more. But now when I go into the game, Nothing is showing up. It's as if I never added anything. NOW, When I clicked on a Sim I started last night, with custom content on him and in his house, its all there. But if I go to buy something that I already have in the house, its not showing up. OK, another thing, When I go into the Sims Body Shop, all the clothing and such is available, so I dont understand whats going on. Iv put everything in a Download Folder like it told me too,
    {My Documents\EAGames\TheSims2\Downloads} If anyone has any idea what happend please help.

2. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Benevolent Dictator Staff Member

What sort of files are you putting into My Documents\EAGames\TheSims2\Downloads?

.sims2pack? .sims2file? .package?

3. Tameisha

Tameisha New Member

Same here

I'm having the same problem, only no custom content shows up at all!! I've only downloaded about 10 or 20 items and I but them in the Sims 2 download folder as .package files. What's the problem???

4. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Benevolent Dictator Staff Member

What type of custom content are they? Objects? Clothing?

5. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

I suspect that Josh and I are thinking on the same lines. Tameisha, go back tot eh sites you got your custom items from and check to see if you needed to get additional downloads.

Many items in the game are recolors of existing objects. Some are recolors of brand new itmes others are recolors of Maxis made items (that cme with the game) Most recolors require the installation of the CEP (color enabler package). If you've got a recolor of a brand new object without also getting the mesh (that's the framework that the colored visible outside hangs on) ... despite appearances sims are hollow ... I once spent a happy half hour zoomed in real close looking inside all my sims' heads ... I have to report that I found no traces of any brain cells. No surprises there then.

Please repost, soon :)

6. Kungfu Joe

Kungfu Joe New Member

Well Tamisha, your problem sounds a little bit different than CBloc's. He at least had his working at one time. The most obvious (and easiest to mess up) is make sure that your downloads are in .../My Documents/EA GAMES/Sims 2/Downloads (Yes, that must be capatilized).

Well, C. Your Prob could be as Josh or Mir hinted on, or it could be a number of other things. If you are a very patient guy, go through all of the files, and try (by taking them out and putting them back in) to find which one allofasudden caused your content to screw up. (Because you are dealing with soooooooo many downloads, change your view to Details, and sort by Date, and take half of them out. If the content works, the problem is in the removed half, if it dosnt, then the problem is in the half still in the folder. Repeat this process untill you can narrow it down to 1 or 2 files). This is one way to find out about the problem, and you can certainly (and if you are up to it, i would recomment) do it Josh's way, although, if you really downloaded THAT many files, you probably went to a few (understatement) websites, so finding the specific file needed will be hard to say the least.

My way is probably faster than Josh's, but theres a chance that it wont work (multiple messed up files, one in each of the first halves, the whole plan is shot). Josh's plan, while slow, will 99.99% sure work.

Good Luck