Now For Another "My Sims Is Running Slow can you help me?" threads

Discussion in 'The Sims 2' started by mcginnis842, Jun 25, 2006.

1. mcginnis842

mcginnis842 New Member

Now For Another "My Sims Is Running Slow can you help me?" threads

All right you know the drill this is one of those why is my Sims 2 running so slow threads. Tell me what I'm doing wrong please. Thanks in advance.

Here's my specs:

Sims 2, University, Nightnight 1.2 Rev A

Powermac G5 duel 1.8gz PowerPc
    OSX 10.4.6 with latest apple updates
    3.5 gb ram
    160gb hard drive 45.45 gb free
    17" Apple display
    ATI Raden X800 XT Mac Edition 256mb video ram with latest drivers

-have turned all of the graphics setting from original program set settings (high) to low with no success
    -I have no programs running in the background (I shut as many as possible before starting up the sims)
    -I have reinstalled the Sims is the top most directory on my hard drive as told by Asper when I emailed them with my problem.

So you guys got any ideas?

2. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

I have to ask what you mean by "slow" in terms of specific examples?

eg Does the game run proper nifty for a 1-2 sim household on a small lot with minimal furnishings?

eg If so, have you tried variations to see what causes the slow-down? I mean does adding more sims slow it down more than adding more rooms/furniture?

It might just be the case that you are expecting it to be faster than it is .... :(

Hope you find an answer. That's an impressive computer you have so it'll be a pity if you can't find a solution that suits you.

3. mcginnis842

mcginnis842 New Member

My current slowness is characterized by:
    -The movement of the camera is very choppy and it takes a couple of seconds for my direction input to register in the game.
    -sims/object/NPC animation is very choppy
    -the game time seems to not really go any faster when set to a higher sim speed AKA fast forward

I've experimented with a smaller lot and only one sim with the same result of the game still having a bogged down speed. The game speed is pretty consistent from start up to the neighborhood to a household.

My usual game play is a medium to large lot with 1-3 sims and some furnish but not a lot. I really don't put in any lighting or decretive objects. Pretty much just the basics. I haven't really had any parties with my sims so at any given time there is at max maybe only 2 other sims that I don't control on the lot.

I've checked to make sure everything inside my computer was hooked up. My ram is registering and my graphics card is functional.

I'm perplexed but thanks for the help anyways. As with my expectations I don't have that high of them but I do have the expectation of being able to see my sim actually walk and not just blimp along and to be able to hit the arrow key and actually have my view move within a second and not hit key 5 seconds later the camera moves kind of thing.

4. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

Wow! Thank you for a full description. I am amazed no one from the Mac community has any answers for you. I assume that your contact with Aspyr was with http://support.aspyr.com/

The sad news is that there is so little support for Mac users. Your rather powerful machine specs translated into PC form would tear thru the game like a cheetah after a gazelle. There ought to be no need to reduce any graphical settings except maybe the neighborhood views from lots. :(

Meanwhile I found this UK based forum where you may find some geeks with extra ideas. Copy and paste your info from your posts here to there and see if they have any ideas.

Please let us know how this turns out! I have searched the Sim communities' Mac support forums and found no similar (enough) problem ... just choppy perfomance on low-end machines. So the answer to your troubles will be useful if recorded for posterity.

5. mcginnis842

mcginnis842 New Member

Just an update. I've posted my whole story over at the UK Mac forum and am awaiting replies. I'll keep you guys in the loop.