Troubleshooting Odd!!!

Discussion in 'The Sims 2' started by babymoon, Sep 30, 2007.

1. babymoon

babymoon New Member

Odd!!!

Prior to installing University*, but after having ALL other EP & stuff packs (with the exception of H&M), my hair & clothing downloads were correct. Now, however there are many that are showing as custom, but when clicked on are the default. Anyone have any ideas, or solutions.
    Quite frustrated, as I have over 5000 downloads, and it really would be impossible to gather all those and redownload them, or remove them, so I'd rather NOT have to do that.
    (* had University installed after everything, no issues prior to Uni. install)

Note: Could THE COMPRESSORIZER be the culprit? As I have over 5000 downloads, I use the Compressorizer so loading time is shorter.

2. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

OK. This is an odd situation, I agree.

First up I am not familiar with the compressorizer. I just looked it up and can't see any reason why it would cause problems, but equally I can conceive of many reasons why it would. If its effects are reversible (and I don't know that they are) it would be a good plan to try the game without.

University is an old EP. You might try getting the latest paches for both Uni and the your most recent EP.

Finally I am not clear about the problem. It seems that you are having troubles with the game using meshes for body shop items (hair/clothing). They appear as they should in the catalog menus but revert to some horrible Maxis default when you select them to be worn by a sim. Is that it?

It might be that University has reverted your game to an older downloads directory system.

Do you now need to the University disc to start the game?
    Is your downloads folder organised into subfolders?

If the answer to both those is yes, then you may well need to reinstall the game or else transfer all your meshes out ofg subfolders into the base Downloads directory. This silly requirement was removed when Nightlife came along, but installing University might have upset your apple cart.

Please post again with clarification and I'll try to help more.

3. babymoon

babymoon New Member

Yes, that is exactly what has happend (maxis default hair & outfits, even though the image is custom). I do not require uni cd to play, as I have bon voyage. The compressorizer only compresses the files, so loading time is shorter, and there is no "undo" for it, unfortunately. All downloads are NOT in subfolders, as I thought that may have been the issue, and it made no difference.

4. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

In that case you might be faced with having to perform a complete reinstall, as it looks like something has gotten broken.

If you physically moved your My Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2\ folder to the desktop before uninstalling and then reinstall all the packs in the order of release, original folder can then be moved back into place (overwriting the new one made by the fresh install).

Hope this helps. Ringers crossed, eh?

5. babymoon

babymoon New Member

uninstalled & reinstalled all, but now the custom content images are default. i really hope that i don't have to manually search for every item that is messed up, that would take forever wth 5000+ downloads.

6. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

I'm rather afraid that this is some problem related to the Compressorizor

Is this affecting every single custom item, or just a proportion of them?

7. Odinmoon

Odinmoon Creator of organised mess

Pardon my ignorance but what is a compressorizer? :eek:

8. babymoon

babymoon New Member

only a select few of the custom items

9. babymoon

babymoon New Member

10. Odinmoon

Odinmoon Creator of organised mess

Thanks Babymoon.:)

11. babymoon

babymoon New Member

Your Welcome!

12. babymoon

babymoon New Member

this is only affecting certain hair & clothing, not all custom content

13. babymoon

babymoon New Member

anyone have any suggestions / fixes ? or is there a program that will scan my downloads and find the problem files, so that I can either delete them or find a replacement download?

14. MegRen

MegRen New Member

15. babymoon

babymoon New Member

Thanks, I'll give it a shot

16. babymoon

babymoon New Member

I tried the Download Oraganizer, and it didn't help those custom hair or clothing at all, however it did find some empty pkgs, so thanks for that! I am confused as to why only those certain ones are not appearing correctly. Like I mentioned before, they used to work, prior to installing Uni. & BV, and nothing I have tried has made any difference (incl. installing ALL patches). Going through all of my downloads would take forever, and I don't want to lose any of the ones I have.

17. MegRen

MegRen New Member

Have you tried re-downloading your favorite hairs with the meshes? Maybe that will fix those. I know XM Sims has some great ones.

18. babymoon

babymoon New Member

I guess that's my only option, isn't it? (re-downloading every outfit & hair) I'll let you know if that fixed the issue.

19. babymoon

babymoon New Member

Do you have any other great hair & clothing suggestions? The number of hair & clothing meshes that are messed up are so large, that I really can't remember where I found any of them.

20. MegRen

MegRen New Member

I'll have to check my links when I get home. I have some really good sites, but I can't remember them here at work.