Ok, a program question here

Discussion in 'The Sims 1' started by reniusa, Sep 30, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. reniusa

reniusa New Member

Ok, a program question here

I use Ulead PhotoExpress to make all my skins and objects. Which I love because I know it inside and out. The only thing it cannot do, that I wish it could..........is make custom textures (tubes).

I have tried using the PSP trial, and umm........it is very complicated. If somebody could just tell me how to make textures transparant, I believe PSP calls them "layers". Or even in Adobe? Also, does anyone have a good totally free paint program to download link?

Also, I would appreciate a skins tutorial that is not pay. A good one too, as I already know how to make skins.

Thanks in advance for any info.

2. FaeLuna

FaeLuna The One and Only

I know how to use Adobe Photoshop, that's what I use for all my graphics work... but I haven't ever tried PSP... it has the advantage of having the trial download so lots of people use it, I think maybe I should try it just to see if I can help people!! In Adobe, to make something transparent, first you have to have the image/texture you want to be transparent in it's own Layer, then adjust the transparancy of that Layer. It's pretty easy, just gets more complex the more layers you are trying to remember to manage. Sorry I don't know anything about Ulead PhotoExpress, I think I used to have that program, it came with my scanner, but we never used it.... Hope this helps somehow!

3. reniusa

reniusa New Member

Thanks, FaeLuna

I give Adobe a whirl.......Then I can come back and bug you with questions.....heehee. I think adobe has a trial version too. So what do people do when the trial is over? Buy it?

Just wondering. :) I think that people just remove it from their registry and stuff.

4. FaeLuna

FaeLuna The One and Only

I didn't know Adobe had a trial download too, cool! :) I know some people buy it, that's how we got mine, after my brother got it at his work for his job and I'd learned how great it was I HAD to have it!! I suppose after trial is over you could just delete the trial program, some trial programs don't have all the features working though so it's better to get the real program if you want to use it all the time. :)

5. lewdini

lewdini Moderate Sith Lord

I find Adobe a bit difficult at first...but easier as u practice...but I am still no skin maker....

6. reniusa

reniusa New Member

I tryed to download the massive demo last night, I think 50 megs? Anywho.......It is a corrupted file, tried it like 3 times, and even with a cable modem it took a bit. :( So I guess I'll just stick with my Ulead. *sigh*

7. lewdini

awww...poor Reni...

8. reniusa

reniusa New Member

That's ok, Lew.....My Ulead works fairly well. I just would love to do a patterened top or something without doing the detail by hand. *sighs*

9. lewdini

I got ulead too...but i dont think its really useful....a bit unfriendly ....maybe i am just not artistic..lol

10. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Benevolent Dictator Staff Member

Adobe becomes easier as you learn to master it.

11. ben_munson

ben_munson Moderator

u know, i don't c y every1 wants adobe photoshop, i make skins n paint shop pro 7 works fine 4 me, so don't go spendin big money 4 somethin a cheap ol version can do the same :p.

Ben Munson

12. ben_munson

ben_munson Moderator

also reni? try downloading textures then cuttin n pastin into ur program. That'll work just as good as the premade ones in psp. Anyways, i hardly eva use their textures, they r crappy, like 2 computerised, n also not really clothing textures. I got all my textures from some other program i used 2 play round wif that came with a program i had on a cd. It has about 60 textures! i could send u a zip file of all the textures i use if u want reni.

Ben Munson

13. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Benevolent Dictator Staff Member

I wonder if I can make a good face from a few screenshots I have....

14. Helén

Helén Posting Queen

Ben.
    Nice to meet you, :) but could you please write out the words - I'm not so familiar with all abbreviations and putting numbers in instead of words.... Makes it hard to understand you. No offense but we are people around that doesn't have english as a native language. Also visitors must be able to read it easily. Myself I think I manage pretty ok simply because I've lived with english (and other languages) for 2 years. But I still have to use dictionaries from time to time. *sighes*
    Thanks a lot Ben.. and as I said - no offense ok? :)

*gives Ben a carrot*

15. FaeLuna

FaeLuna The One and Only

I hadn't ever heard of Paint Shop Pro till I already had Adobe, funny how things work that way sometimes!! :p Anyway, I'm not sure if Ulead lets you paste things on top of the picture you're working on, but if it does, you can make your own textures and save them, then paste them in on top of your skin graphic to add the texture...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.