Troubleshooting Ok, can someone help me figure what I need to run TS2?

Discussion in 'The Sims 2' started by rejectedloser, Dec 22, 2003.

1. rejectedloser

rejectedloser New Member

Ok, can someone help me figure what I need to run TS2?

This is the third forum I tried and hopefully the last. The first one ignored me and the second pointed me here..

I need to know if my computer will run TS2 (which I highly doubt) and if not, what I need to upgrade.. This is what I've got

WIN 98
    Memory : 187864 kb (this is the main thing I have trouble with)

Graphics Card: SiS 630/730
    Driver : dd630_32.dll
    Video Memory : 6286080
    Resolution : 800x600
    Color depth : 16

CPU Inforamtion: AMD
    Unknown
    751 MHz

Sound Card: SiS 7018 Wave

It runs all of the expansion packs of The Sims just fine, including MM, but I'm not sure about TS2 . I think it's won't work because this computer was bought used so it's probably pretty old.

2. Vchat20

Vchat20 New Member

youll probably wanna upgrade your memory and graphics card. and maybe even your proccessor.

3. Tetris

Tetris New Member

You need more Video Memory, and TheSims2 is gonna be in True Color so you might want to upgrade your color settings, er yeah and you will need at least 256MB and you dont But I still think you will be fine though. Get XP, it rules! it even loads all your drivers for you and gives best VGA quality!

4. TaiGuy

TaiGuy New Member

Re: Ok, can someone help me figure what I need to run TS2?

That means you have 192 MB of memory, which should be enough.
    you REALLY need a new video card, if you don't want to upgrade processor (and mobo to go with the processor) you'd probably have to get a more expensive video card, check your current motherboard to see the fastest AGP speed it can take, most new video cards are 4 and 8 compatible.

If you dont HAVE an AGP slot, go for a processor/mobo upgrade, Athlon XP and a mobo with an nForce2 northbridge, and you shouldn't have to spend anything extra on a video card since nForce2's integrated graphics are quite well off.

5. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Benevolent Dictator Staff Member

That's not 192MB of memory.

6. TaiGuy

TaiGuy New Member

187864 kb... thats 192,372,736 bytes (multiply by 1024)
    There is a very common mixup in the market what 'kilobyte' means, whether it is 1024 bytes or 1000 bytes.
    When they say megabyte here, they mean my the 10s, which makes sense after expanding the kilobytes into bytes. By default, the computer uses the exponent-2 system, causing little bits of misconceptions here and there.

Another good example is the CD-R, I think one company used the other system for labelling their CD capacities to draw consumer interest and to make more business. Either they all do that now, or they've been complained against too many times.

7. Pixie

Pixie Yoga Queen

Ok, so this is what I don't understand... my comp. says 248 MB of RAM... is that what it's really running on? My BF says that it's actually running on 256 MB of RAM... and that I don't need to about TS2 working on my comp.
    Well anyways.... I'm confused, I don't know computers as complexly as most of you out there, so be kind.... help a poor comp. illiterate girl. :)

8. ManagerJosh

You have 8MB shared for video.

9. Pixie

Pixie Yoga Queen

Is that good or bad?

10. ManagerJosh

Shared Memory is technically not the best thing in the world. You do have 256MB of memory, but 8 of it is being shared with graphics.

11. Pixie

Pixie Yoga Queen

I see, so how good will the game run then???

12. ManagerJosh

What video card do you have?

Start > Run > type DXDIAG and click enter.
    Hit the tab Display

13. Pixie

Pixie Yoga Queen

Intel graphics contoller??? lol... it's standard issue: buy from walmart last october hp pavilion thingy... windows xp.. but yah.... so nothing exciting

14. Vchat20

Vchat20 New Member

imo, dont ever g buy computers from retail stores. especially walmart. they may seem like good deals, but their reliability will bite you in the azz in the long run. my cousin got an hp pavilion from walmart as well and so far she has had to get it fixed/replaced like about 5 times since she got it. youll be better of either getting it directly from the manufacturer or from a well known online sotre like tigerdirect.com or some other big places. and try to steer clear of hp's and compaq's. dell and gateway are the best in the business so far.

15. Pixie

Pixie Yoga Queen

Yah, fortunately, this computer has been really good so far... but I would have prefered my bf to build one....
    My grandma is weird, she thinks wal-mart is the bomb... hahaha....
    I totally want a gateway! But I need more money for that, and I'm saving up for like three different things right now.... so, yah, the hp is good for now!

16. ManagerJosh

Gateway, Dell, HP, Compaq, and any other big corporate america company that builds computers = king of evil

17. Pixie

Pixie Yoga Queen

Hahaha... how funny. Well, at least I know where all the evil in the world stems from. Big Corporate America.... lol!

18. Vchat20

Vchat20 New Member

to tell you the truth MJ, my last gateway we got back in December of 1998. it just recently croaked last august due to too many power surges frying the bios (stupid PSU was shorting out from what i could tell). all in all, we got it directly fromgateway. ordered on the phone and it was delivered via UPS 2 weeks later. to the day it croaked, besides a few "first day glitches", it was in perfect running condition and rarely had a crash (at least not recoverable anyhow). i trust gateway more than anything. if anything i trust dell with the same or more trust than gateway. as my cousin has a laptop from dell which is either as old or older than our old computer and he still has it to this day and it runs like a dream thanks to Win2k

so as far as im concerned, either get a prebuilt machine from gateway or dell (and for gamers, they now do make gaming machines if ya dont already know ;) ), build your own and hope you have the knowledge to know what the heck your doing, or risk getting a refurbished pos from a retail store like kmart, walmart and the like.

19. Pixie

Pixie Yoga Queen

Hmmm.... I'll make myself a note... :)

20. Tash_the_sim_physco

Tash_the_sim_physco New Member

ummm..okay because of this now I'm sort of worried/confused.

I have most of the expansions of TS1 on my laptop, if I already have these will I still be able to use TS2 on my laptop??