Okay, I need your opinion (graphic card related)...

Discussion in 'The Sims 2' started by ian80, Sep 16, 2004.

1. ian80

ian80 New Member

Okay, I need your opinion (graphic card related)...

Hey all,

Got the game. However, I've given up playing it for a bit already. My graphics are just too crappy. I'm running it with onboard graphics, and it shows. Everything has to be set at the lowest level and it is still running badly.

You see, I have a 128MB Radeon 9200 graphics card, but (get this) it konked out on me TWO DAYS BEFORE THE SIMS 2 WAS RELEASED!! Arg!

So, now I have a decision to make. I want to know if it is worth buying another Radeon 9200, or if I should take this opportunity to upgrade.

Is anyone playing the Sims 2 with a Radeon 9200 or lower? I want to know how it performs. Like, could I turn all graphics to max and still get good framerates? Or will I need to go with something like a Radeon 9800 Pro for that?

Basically, I don't want to shell out the money for a 9200 and then find out that the game is still going to run really crappy. So, what is your opinion? What kind of graphics card are you using and what kind of performance are you getting?

Thanks!

2. Mocha_Kisses

Mocha_Kisses New Member

:disappointed: :rolleyes: :( I just upgraded to exactly the same video card and I'm still unsure if it is the problem. The game looks great until I put my cursor on a sim and then it looks like crap. They (sims) get transparent and then have lines through them like how it looks when you print an image and your ink is low. It could need a patch or maybe I need to mess around with the game somemore and change some settings. If you stay with the same card please let me know about your performance....if yours does the same maybe I'll still have time to return this one and upgrade again. Good luck & happy Simming!

3. copter

copter New Member

Mmm, perhaps you should update your drivers, at the graphics card homepage. I had the same problem with Need For Speed:Hot Pursuit 2(EA). The tracks and cars were either showing large white parts (instead of road, or car) or it just didn't start at all. First try updating the drivers. If that doesn't work, then you might like to upgrade to a more powerful graphics card. ;)
    Copter.

4. ringleesim

ringleesim Computer Overlord

Maybe you should try a Nvidia GeForce 4 or higher... I have GeForce 4 MX 400 with an Integrated GPU.

5. astaregod

astaregod New Member

do what copter says and upgrade your drivers. this will help with a lot of new games.

also I would take the opportunity to upgrade. even though I do not own a radeon 9200, if you are willing to make the jump to a newer card, that might be just why it "konked" out on you. the card I do have is an nVidia GeForce FX 5200 and i'm sure it'll run just fine with graphics maxed out (hopefully :) )

6. Cyricc

Cyricc Goblin Techies

Definitely upgrade. I have a FX 5900XT and it runs choppy with max details, 1024 by 768, and antialiasing (but runs okay w/o AA). I shiver to think of playing it on a radeon 9200 or a FX5200... FYI, a GF FX5200 is worse than the GF4 ti 4200. Tested it myself, thinking it would be an upgrade... returned the 5200 the hour after I 3DMarked it a couple times.

7. bangin knee song

bangin knee song New Member

I'm currently running the game on a Sapphire ATI Radeon 9200se (even lower than a regular 9200) with 2.53ghz and 512 ram memory and it's running fine with all of the settings on high :)

8. Cyricc

Cyricc Goblin Techies

Really? What resolution? I've noticed that my computer seems to perform worse than other comps with similar hardware... maybe cuz of my crappy mobo, need to change it sometime.

9. bangin knee song

bangin knee song New Member

800x600... it is a little bit slower at 1024x768, so I guess if you like playing at that resolution it might not play as well (I don't really have a problem with 800x600 though). Oh, and I just checked, and I have the "smooth edges" option in the middle. Other than that, everything else is at high and it's playing fine, looks good too.

10. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

I've got it running like a train at 1024*768 with everything on high (except video capture which is medium size/medium quality - which (possibly) seems to cause the game hiccup very occasionally.)

NVIDIA GeForce FX 5600 with 256MB on a motherboard with an AMD XP2800 and 1GB RAM