How Do I Package file

Discussion in 'The Sims 2' started by Hayesfan, Jan 23, 2005.

1. Hayesfan

Hayesfan New Member

Package file

How do I manually install package files that I have downloaded? When I double-click the file it says "Please double-click a custom content package file to install the content". What do I do?:confused:

2. Ningengirai

Ningengirai Cadwallader

You generally don't click on .package files at all. You sort them into your MyDocuments/EA Games/The Sims 2/Downloads folder. Just remember that if they came in .zip files, to unzip them before you sort them.

What you DO double-click on are the .Sims2Pack files, which will open that 'custom content package' installer.

So.

.package file: >> Sort

.Sims2Pack: >> Double-click

3. DasTschuly

DasTschuly New Member

i downloaded a lot of sims stuff the last two days and would always work when i put it in that download directory, but only the things downloaded from this page won't work :confused:
    may it have something to do with the fact that i play the sims in german? but on the other hand i d/led some other international stuff too

4. Hayesfan

Hayesfan New Member

I done EXACTLY what Ningengirai said about unziping and sorting but it still said the same thing.

5. Ningengirai

Ningengirai Cadwallader

Glaub' ich nicht. Zumindest sollte es da keine Unterschiede geben - ich habe auch schon deutsche oder franzsische Dinge runtergeladen, und meinem Spiel hat das keinen Abbruch getan. Ich kann dir leider nicht sagen, woran es liegt. :/

Stupid question, but did you restart the game after you downloaded and sorted stuff? If that doesn't help it, I'm sorry, I don't know what's wrong.

6. DasTschuly

DasTschuly New Member

:( da find ich endlich gratis downloads, die mir wirklich gefallen und es geht nicht
    Eigene Dateien\EA Games\Die Sims 2\Downloads ... das is doch richtig, oder?
    posten hier noch andere admins, die mir vielleicht helfen knnten?

7. Ningengirai

Ningengirai Cadwallader

Der Ordner stimmt schon, da schmeiss ich meine Sachen auch rein. Kann allerdings sein, das sich die Downloads in die Quere kommen und deshalb nicht im Spiel auftauchen. Ich hab' da so ein, zwei Sachen, die auf Teufel komm raus nicht auftauchen, egal, wie oft ich das Spiel neu lade. ( Ich bin brigens kein Mod, sorry ). Poste doch vielleicht einfach noch mal im regulren Forum "The Sims General Discussion". Vielleicht hat ja jemand eine andere Lsung.

8. DasTschuly

DasTschuly New Member

achso dachte nur, weil ich von dir hier immer antworten lese ;)
    naja danke jedenfalls

9. Vezz

Vezz New Member

Hi. I have same problem, besides, another one. I copy the file of "sounds" and try to play it with winamp, and it worked!! but... al the files .PACKAGE now are associated to winamp program. how can I restore as normal?? (I mean without association files).

sorry for my english but is not my primary language.
    Vezz.

10. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

Hi, Vezz ... oops! I hate it when that happens! First try uninstalling winamp. If that doesn't solve your problem you may have to completely uninstall the game and reinstall it if you are not comfortable messing around with windows filetype association settings ... it can be tricky enough if you know what you are doing!

The exact advice for playing the ingame music is to copy the sounds .package to another folder (eg desktop) and then rename it so that the ending is .mp3 and not .package. It sounds like you let Winamp believe that it was OK to pretend it was an mp3 and now Windows has got all confused. :p

Hope you sort it out! :)

11. Valerie114

Valerie114 New Member

How do I unzip the winzip files...I actually see them in my downloads folder and I don't think that I have unzipped them yet....

12. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

A Zip file needs a utility such as WindZip to unzip (means decompress) it.

If you are using Windows XP a winzip facility is built in (if this isn't the case post again and we'll tell you what to do).

Just double click a zip file and if Windows can handle it it will automatically open it. Inside the small winzip window you will see a list of the tiles in the zip file. It may just be one file or a several.

Any files that have names ending with dot package (eg:- abcdefghi_etc_etc_etc.package ) can be placed inside My Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2\Downloads

I usually have the My Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2\Downloads open before I double click the zip and then just drag and drop the .pachkage files straight in.

Note that files that end .Sims2Pack are self installing. Again you can double click them inside the Winzip window and the Sims 2 Installer will pop open to ask you to confirm that you want to install the new content.

WinZip is quite easy, in other words. Just treat it like any other Windows window ...

13. Valerie114

Valerie114 New Member

well i have winzip...and when i downloaded the file from the internet it seemed to already place them in the downloads folder, but when I go to the foler and double click on the file winzip opens up and not an installer screen

14. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

You porabably have the zip files downloaded into the folder named:
    My Downloads which is in My Documents.

The game has a downloads folder in My Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2\Downloads which is NOT the same. Check this carefully.

15. Valerie114

Valerie114 New Member

Actually it is already downloaded into the Sims 2 download folder. I just don't know how to unzip the files...

16. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

Have you double clicked the zipped file?

17. Valerie114

Valerie114 New Member

I actually think I got it...after I unzipped them and placed them into the Sims 2 downloads folder they became package files...Now when I load the game they should be in the customs folder right?

18. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

Hooray! Applause! Glad to help. :D

19. KatAnubis

KatAnubis Lady Staff Member

It's not a good idea to put them in the downloads folder until you have them opened. They won't work if they're in the winsip form and sometimes having things other than the files which are meant to be in the downloads folder can cause problems. It's a good idea to save them in a place *outside* of your downloads folder while you work with them. Then you can either leave it there when you're done extracting or you can delete it.

20. Leticron

Leticron New Member

Hast Du vielleicht nur "recolors' geladen? die brauchen immer auch das Originalobject um sichtbar zu sein
    Andere Pakete wiederum benoetigen ein CEP Paket (wenn fuer da entsprechende Objekt von Maxis keine weitere Farbe vorgesehen war
    Normalerweise steht soetwas aber im Download Text
    Ausserden noch etwas: wenn Du Winzip nach "Downloads" entpacken laesst und es sich Unterordner im Zip File befinden, werden die mit angelegt...schau mal, ob Deine Files auch wirklich in Downloads gelandet sind
    Skins, Kleider, Make up, etc duerfen nicht in Unterordnern sein sonst wird das nichts
    -le