Painting: does content matter?

Discussion in 'The Sims 2' started by aragorn231, Nov 26, 2004.

1. aragorn231

aragorn231 New Member

Painting: does content matter?

When you're creating a painting (Still Life) with the purpose of getting money out of it, does it actually matter what you're painting? Is the AI intelligent enough to filter out the art from the kitsch? I guess not, after all, art IS subjective, right! What do you all think about this? And what are your experiences?

2. sexierjess14

sexierjess14 Depressed Soul

Well I don't think what your sim paints matters. Based on my experience, it mostly matters on your sims "Creativity" skill. The higher it is, the more money you get when you sell your painting. Once your sim has mastered the "Creativity" skill, each time he paints a painting, the price of the painting goes up for each painting one after another. But I heard there was a certain limit of how much your sim will get. But Im not very sure about that because I rarely make my sims paint, I prefer the piano :p

I might be wrong really, but this is based on my experience :D :D Please correct me if Im wrong :p

3. saucebox

saucebox New Member

My sim had maxed out creativity and painted all the time (helped with the income).

Seems the sim can only paint about five different images.

I've yet to sell one for more than $650.

4. KatAnubis

KatAnubis Lady Staff Member

The subject doesn't seem to matter at all. The painter's experience in painting and their skill level has the most impact I've found.

Also, if you let the painting sit a bit after it is painted, the price will also go up. (I had a S$4 painting finally sell at S$64. I would have waited longer but I was marrying the Sim off and I wanted to see what the price was before all the goods were liquidated.)

5. Illuminati

Illuminati New Member

Gne? Someone can confirm what she's saying?

6. Flameback777

Flameback777 Josh's Servant Staff Member

From what I've heard, each day a painting (Including those you buy.) has a 50/50 chance on either going up in value or going down.

7. Illuminati

Illuminati New Member

It's all about luck? Well this is lame.. It should be cool if a painting paints by a sim who died recently increases in value...

8. J. M. Pescado

J. M. Pescado Fat Obstreperous Jerk

I think this may occur, actually, since I found some code in the artwork section which seems to check for the artist being dead.

9. Illuminati

Illuminati New Member

Really? You weren't able to understand the value modifier?

10. J. M. Pescado

J. M. Pescado Fat Obstreperous Jerk

This was awhile ago, and I didn't understand as much of the code back then, and I don't remember where I saw it, so I can't read it again right now. Plus, all the entire cost stuff is rather obscure anyway.

11. Cyricc

Cyricc Goblin Techies

Dunno, I'm not so sure the coders would have bothered to add something as trivial and obscure as that... but then again, TS2 is filled with that kind of stuff, isn't it?

Anyway, using the Paint Whatever Image You Want trick, I've had my sim cover than canvas with pure whiteness and had it sold for ~$400.

12. aragorn231

aragorn231 New Member

That's not bad, doesn't cost too much on paint either :)
    On top of that, it's even realistic! If you see what some people in RL pay for some stuff...