Phind Phoenix

Discussion in 'Forum Games' started by Phoenix Ravenflame, Feb 22, 2003.

1. Phoenix Ravenflame

Phoenix Ravenflame New Member

Phind Phoenix

I'll post a clue for where I am. It's famous places and time periods, so don't worry about something weird like "Lithuania, 400 BC". When someone (or more than one someone) guesses right, I'll reveal the answer and move on. I'm starting with an easy one. If you don't know the date, just be as specific as possible. ("Over in Africa when that guy landed his boat" isn't the kind of answer that counts.)

"Off with her head!" is the cry,
    But it doesn't come from the Queen this time.
    The one to lose her head, in fact, is she.
    Please pass the wine, mon cherie.

2. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Benevolent Dictator Staff Member

Bloody Mary?

3. Helén

Helén Posting Queen

England, whe Queen Mary lost her head?

4. FaeLuna

FaeLuna The One and Only

Is it Bastille Day? I forget what year that was though... :p

5. Phoenix Ravenflame

Bastille Day is close... you're in the right country there. And, Nina, you're close because the Queen is the one being beheaded. So what Queen lost her head in the country where Bastille Day is celebrated?

Phoenix

6. Helén

Helén Posting Queen

During the french revolution, the french Queen Marie Antoinette as well as her husband King Ludvig XVI was beheaded.
    (Note: European spelling of names)

7. Phoenix Ravenflame

YAY, Nina! Okay, time for this Phoenix to fly. Catch me if you can!

The Germans call it the Twilight of the Gods, but all Odin knows is that Loki's gotten them into trouble again. Loki's monster, Fenris the wolf, is loose and this mighty battle could mean the end!

8. FaeLuna

FaeLuna The One and Only

Ragnarok! The Nordic End of the World! :D (I've been reading fantasy novels based on mythology again.....)

9. Helén

Helén Posting Queen

Yes. I agree with Fae. Ragnark. (Swedish spelling)

For the curious about nordic mythology:
    Nordic is a name for the 5 "nordic" countries: Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland and Iceland. The Nordic mythology was not so much german as swedish, icelandic and norwegian, where the most viking ships sailed from. Cities like Birka can be reached from central Stockholm, by touristboats. Only about mile from me I have a vikingstone with runes. This peninsula where I live is overloaded with old viking stones and also memories from as far back as the Iron age. Want to see runestones? Come here. :classic:
    The swedish spelling of the characters here are: Oden, Tor, Frej, Freja, Loke, Fenrisulven. Yggdrasil is the name of the worldtree. And up to today Icelandic are still very close to the language spoken at the viking time. Icelandis is really a language within history. :classic:

10. Phoenix Ravenflame

FaeLuna and Nina found me! Thanks for the extra information, Nina. Norse mythology is something I've discovered I have an interest in over the past couple of years, but I haven't had much chance to study it yet.

Where am I? I'm walking around inside a woman's little finger! Her skin has turned green with age (not envy), but was once a beautiful copper tan. She was born in France, but welcomes millions to the Land of Freedom.

11. lewdini

lewdini Moderate Sith Lord

I like norse mythology too
    I got books on it when i was a kid

12. FaeLuna

FaeLuna The One and Only

Whoa this new one sounded scary at first!! I was thinking you were a worm!!! :eek: Then I thought OH! You're inside the Statue of Libery! She was made in France! :D

I like learning about Nordic stuff, I have a lot of ancestry from all those countries in that area! :D One time when I was 6 we lived next door to a lady from Sweden, she was one of the coolest people I'd met, and her cousin came to visit, and he was in a boat and her dog was trying to jump in the boat with him, and my baby brother who was about 3 or 4 years old at the time said "Our Swedish Ancestor is trying to keep the doggie out of the boat!" heeheee! :p

13. Phoenix Ravenflame

Yep, I was inside the Staue of Liberty! FaeLuna's dad would love it... she's a REALLY tall woman! Gotta fly! Time for you to Phind Phoenix...

In this part of India, this little old woman eases the pains of the dying and serves food to the hungry. She and her Sisters live a life of service. Her face is recognized all over the world and everyone calls her Mother. Where am I and who am I with?

14. ManagerJosh

Mother Teresa

15. FaeLuna

FaeLuna The One and Only

I have NO idea what part of India you're in, but I think Josh is right about WHO you're with! :D

16. Helén

Helén Posting Queen

Me too. I agree with Josh. :classic:

17. Phoenix Ravenflame

Well, I might have been pushing it with the "where"... a lot of people may not know she lived in Calcutta. But, yes, I'm with Mother Theresa!

Kangaroo and wallabee...
    These are next door neighbors to me.
    I'm not in Austrailia,
    That's not where I sleep,
    But a land nearby where there's lots of sheep.

18. Helén

Helén Posting Queen

I guess New Zealand

19. ManagerJosh

Tazmania is my guess

20. Phoenix Ravenflame

I was thinking New Zealand when I wrote it, but now I see that Tazmania was also a possibility, so I'm giving it to both of you!

Riddle me this, riddle me that...
    I'm in a land where they once worshipped cats.
    All of the gods have the heads of beasts and I'm visiting with a giant who's lost her nose and wants me to answer her riddle.