Plagarism of Content

Discussion in 'The Sims 2' started by nanshi_nibble, Jul 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nanshi_nibble

nanshi_nibble New Member

Plagarism of Content

As some of you may be aware, there has been a lot of heated chat in the community about plagarism of content. I.e., that people are posting others custom creations to the showcase and calling it their own. I have come across at least one instance of this of my own, just having a quick browse now (btw seen a few of yours as well amysims & merlin_simmius).

This is definitely something that should be brought up in the next chat. How about all us designers/creators and those sympathetic to them who enjoy their creations 'bomb' MAXIS with this question in the next chat?

How does MAXIS plan to address the issues with plagarism on the TS2 sims showcase?

If anybody can think of a better way of phrasing that feel free!

2. KatAnubis

KatAnubis Lady Staff Member

I wish there was some way to label the creations better. I was having problems with one of the downloads (no preview for a lipstick color) so I made one for it, but when I put it back in, I made sure that the original person's name was in the "label." But it would be nice if it was part of it.

3. wize_guy123

wize_guy123 A ***** Retiree

Same here...

I made a skin for TSR's contest.... The Sims 2 Go Retro... let me check if anyone submitted it yet...

they better not have
    !

4. wize_guy123

Wow... I have to view over 1600

sims... thats just plain crazy... but I dont want my work stolen

5. booba

booba New Member

Well how was this issue addressed by Maxis b4? I have been playing the sims for a long time and Maxis cannot control what people put on the net or what others download. In sims 1 there was alot of thievery, so to put text files in with the download "Please do not re-color, or distribute without my permission" means what? That they are not going claim it has their own. Any time u upload a creation u take a risk. Then again alot of these sites charge for their creations or shld i say "bandwith, so people feel that if they pay, they own it and do as they please with it. I don't condone thievery and if you use a person work give them credit, but all that ask permission stuff is for the birds. The good thing about the sims 2 it lets everyone be alittle creative, especially those of us who have never skinned, but if u thinking about uploading a creation make sure it is really yours.

6. merlin_simmius

merlin_simmius New Member

Steve at TSR said he had a phone conversation with Lucy Bradshaw about this same topic and that Maxis will be looking into it, although what they'll do now is anyone's guess.

It doesn't bother me so much that people are uploading some of my creations onto the Showcase, it bothers me though, when I paid WDS to be able to download certain Sims 2 items, to then go and see people uploading them onto the Showcase for people to download for free. If BriAnna at WDS wanted her hair free, it would be. And it bothers me because even though subscriptions for downloads isn't a much loved thing, it is necessary for some sites to be able to stay open. If no one paid, would there be a Sim Freaks, WDS, TSR? Probably not. That bothers me more than anything else.

7. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Benevolent Dictator Staff Member

I think this issue needs to be addressed by EA Legal and not Maxis. I personally feel there are some gray areas that needs to be addressed and defined..

8. Amy Sims

Amy Sims New Member

I have come across a couple of items of mine which have been renamed with little work done to them and resubmitted under new names.

To tell you the truth, I hardly batted an eye.

I knew that if I actually made something worth while one day, it was bound to happen.
    It is almost like a compliment. Not that I would actually thank the person or persons who have done it. :)

The way I see it is that if someone is desperate enough to NEED some sort of acknowledgment that they would copy another persons work then they would in no doubt ignore any complaint made.
    In most cases, it wasn't their first time and it probably will not be their last.

I make note of their name and make a promise to not download anything they submit or read anything they write. They lose all credibility with me and with people I talk to.

All I can really say it that I enjoy what I do and I accept the consequences of that enjoyment. I don't have to like it, but I can accept it.

I am sure Maxis is aware of the problem but are unable to enforce any copyright laws. People are not copying their stuff, only ours.

I used to put my name on all of my "regular" sims clothing. Perhaps anyone making Sims2 content should put their name somewhere on the same page as their outfit. Write it in white so it can be seen. It wont show up on the body as long as you don't add it to the white alpha page.

Amy

9. nanshi_nibble

nanshi_nibble New Member

I have to admit, of all the 'copied' items on sims showcase Amy, you seem to have been stung badly. But you are right, don't they say 'imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.'

I have come across a few of mine, and although I got a bit het up before, I have come to accept it. And yes you are right...how can you value the opinion of someone who quite happily will 'steal' from you?

So when I come across them now, me and my partner just have a laugh - he thinks that they must really like my skins enough to say they are thier own!
    :p

10. wize_guy123

That is very true... but then again... they may get something you want... such as if Maxis was holding a contest.... and you already made a certain thing they were looking for... someone might already submit it...

Or maybe they could get a job at lets say... TSR to be an Official Creator... by submitting your work... and you were hoping for a job like that... and if that were to happen... and soon TSR would turn itself into a pay site... for those skins... and started paying the person that copied your work... then you see what I mean...

11. Amy Sims

Amy Sims New Member

I didn't know that any of my work made it onto TheSimsShowcase. That must mean it's pretty good. :)

Redistribution is an ever growing problem. I guess I can always hope that the people doing it will grow up one day.

Amy

12. wize_guy123

Very True...

13. FaeLuna

FaeLuna The One and Only

I like the idea of putting your name on the skin graphic so it won't show up on the sim because of the alpha channels, that would be really helpful for people wanting to keep track of where they got something from too!!

And it probably won't stop a lot of people who are stealing and claiming it's theirs, but it MIGHT stop people who don't realize they should give credit, or shouldn't recolor and distribute something when you don't have permission, and wouldn't mean to do something wrong if they realized they were doing it.

14. Vchat20

Vchat20 New Member

very good idea Fae. love the idea of putting your name on the texture and hiding it with the alpha channels. when i get around to making my own custom content, ill make sure to remember that.

15. wize_guy123

Yes very good idea

16. sketchingblue

sketchingblue New Member

i've had more then 15 people 'steal' my items off my sims website and post them again on the forums...one particular top named 'mocha1shoulder' has been stolen numerous times people probably dont know the owner of it anymore

thats why it hurt so much seeing this this morning -
    http://thesims2.ea.com/sim_detail.php?asset_id=19627&lastURL=%2Fshowcase.php%3Faction%3Dsearch%26nrows%3D5%26order%3Dcreation_date%2Bdesc%26age%3D%26gender%3D%26language%3D%26country%3D%26feature%3D0%26custom%3D0%26key%3D%26screen_name_std%3Dthebrewcrew2004%26nstart%3D6

my mocha stripe tshirt, in the description 'Shirt by Amy Sims at simstuff.com'
    I visit simstuff a lot (although this is my first time on the forum) and go through the items. i know no one here has stolen any of my stuff, and im more then certain that Amy Sims has never taken any credit for anything of mine as your stuff is great :)

but it hurts when someone credits your hard work as their own or someone elses. especially with the showcase cause i cant even email them and let them know they've made a mistake. now everyone that sees it on the showcase will think that it was made by Amy Sims

17. Amy Sims

Amy Sims New Member

I just went to the Sims2 web site from the link you gave and when I read the description my jaw dropped to the floor.

It is too bad that they cannot be educated.

I am sure it must be very frustrating to see stuff like that.

*Thank you for the compliment about my stuff* :)

Amy

18. Trinasis

Trinasis New Member

Well that is wrong if they claim the stuff as theres and its not! They may not have even played the game! But I got a website/journal up and I got the pictures for maxis but I would never claim something is mines if I didn't make it! But I did make this site. Hey maybe you guys can come a look at it! Plz and Thank you!

http://Journals.aol.com/lovemeisyouwant/thesims2/
    again the web site is:

http://journals.aol.com/lovemeisyouwant/TheSims2/

Be sure you tell your friends come and join me!

19. FaeLuna

FaeLuna The One and Only

I took a look at your sims 2 journal, it looks like a good distraction while waiting for sime 2 to come out!

I feel sad about all the people posting mistaken credits for stuff. :( It seems like that happens when someone ELSE lied, and they are TRYING to give credit, and somehow that just adds to the pain of knowing someone stole it. :(

20. wize_guy123

I just hope none of my stuff is used as someone elses... because it took me a while to make some of those creations... I wouldnt care if someone made the same exact thing as me but if they just copied it... I just wouldnt be happy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.