How Do I Play sims 2 in window

Discussion in 'The Sims 2' started by jtjosh123, Jun 27, 2006.

1. jtjosh123

jtjosh123 New Member

Play sims 2 in window

Hey,
    i went on loads of sites tryingt o find out how to make it so you can play the sims 2 in a window and every site has said to make a shortcut that you use to play the sims 2 and then right click it properties and in the end of target type -w but whenever i do that i click ok and it give me an error saying the name C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\The Sims 2 Open For Buisness\TSbin\Sims2EP3.exe''-w' specified in the target is not valid please make sure the path and file name are correct.
    And i dont know what to do because thats the only one i can find to play the sims 2 in a window can anyone help and tell me how to play in window without getting those errors :cry:
    many thanks :)
    jtjosh123

2. HelloKit

HelloKit New Member

Put a space before the -w :)

3. AlisonSBurke

AlisonSBurke New Member

:shocked: You can do that!? Oh man, I have an automatic internet thing from days gone past when my old piece of junk was connected, so every random now and then, the internet comes up (even though my comp isn't connected, so it says 'cannot find server') and it takes me off TS2 and I have to quickly quit the internet window, and click on The Sims 2 down the bottom, and wait about 20 minutes, and see how my sims are faring after playing for 20 minutes on its own. And my mouse goes funny so I ALWAYS click on the wrong thing.

Thankyou!!!

4. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

Stone the crows! Alison!

The last thing your poor old puter needs is a rogue program trying to access the net). And running in Windows mode won't help either.

If you can't remove the ruddy thing yourself can't you befriend a friendly geek to come around and clean up your registry?

Aw! It must be soo frustrating ... I get mad as anything when my Firewall suddenly decides to tell me that a hacking attempt has just been thwarted ... who cares, I scream, just shaddup and lemme play wiv my simmies!

5. alphaspot

alphaspot New Member

I have no idea of what you guys and/or girls are talking about.I get confused with THAT kinda stuff.

6. AlisonSBurke

AlisonSBurke New Member

LOL Mirelly!
    I'll think of something.

7. dmdelucia

dmdelucia New Member

the quote's the thing

The -w must be within the quote marks, ie "c:\...exe -w" and there should be no trailing tic mark.

Have fun!

8. theshysmoma

theshysmoma New Member

so how do I play sims in a window

step by step and in real simple computer terms what do I do to make a shortcutt and play sims in a window?

9. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

Running The Game In Window Mode - How To & Advice

1. Find the shortcut on your desktop that you use to start the game
    2. Click on that with your RIGHT mouse button
    3. Choose the option Properties from the sub-menu that appears
    4. On the properties panel identify the field labelled Target
    5. The full pathway to the game executable file will typically be highlighted.
    6. Carefully tap the right arrow key (the four arrow keys are the ones located between the main alphabet typing keys and the numbers keypad)
    7. The pathway in the target field will no longer be highlighted and the cursor is that the end of the pathway which should be reading something like:
      • [loadsagobbledygook]~\TSBin\TheSims2.exe"
    8. Carefully type the following:
      • a space
      • then a dash - (the dash key is between 0 and = ... also known as a hyphen)
      • then a little w
    9. The pathway should now be reading something like:
      • [loadsagobbledygook]~\TSBin\TheSims2.exe" -w
    10. Click the button at the bottom of the panel that says: Apply then click OK
    11. You have done it!
    Cautions.
    1. The game will not now scroll when you move the mouse to edge of the screen ... you'll need to use the arrow keys or the other camera controls ... see the manual
    2. The game is system resource hungry. If you're playing with low or minimum system specifications the game will perform very poorly if you leave other applications running while you try to play the game.
    3. If you do play this way, you should make sure to check the game settings and decide what to do about the Sim While Minimized option. If the setting is enabled you may really get into trouble with Windows snarl-ups.
    4. I created this walk-thru by following its instructions myself one at a time and running the game from the amended shortcut to check that it worked. The following is a list of additional cautions:
      • My computer is of medium-high spec with 1024MB of memory and a 256MB graphics card
      • In windowed mode with only this internet page open (and my email client (Outlook)) I was down to 84MB of unused RAM and the game would not let me view both my playable sims Needs bars and their wants and fears panel - (NB with the game unloaded I have 756MB free RAM) For me playing with so little free RAM is unacceptable. I changed my shortcut back to non-windowed. I spend too much time here as it is without being distracted by World Sims when I am simming :rolleyes:
      • Running the game in windowed mode is really only a viable option for people with very high spec computers who need to keep other applications alive while simming ... for example a spreadsheet so that when the boss is spotted you can quickly shift to appearing to be working instead of playing. If you really need to keep an internet presence alive and to be able to sim while you do you'd be better off buying a super-cheap second-hand computer for the internet because it doesn't matter how powerful your computer is you're always better off (simmily speaking) devoting your entire system's resources to the game alone when playing the game.