Troubleshooting PLEASE HELP ME! I need 1 on 1 help!

Discussion in 'The Sims 2' started by coolcatcarie, Oct 27, 2004.

1. coolcatcarie

coolcatcarie New Member

PLEASE HELP ME! I need 1 on 1 help!

I was wondering if you could help me with a problem I am having with installing sims 2.Actually,I think the game is installed fine but whenever I click the icon to play it a thing pops up that says:Failed to find any DirectX 9.0c compatible graphics adapters in this system!Please make sure you have a DirectX 9.0c compatable graphics adapter and have installed the latest drivers provided by the manufacturer.The application will now terminate. - I'm not too smart with computers so I can't really understand that,but I think maybe I need to install DirectX 9.0c.So I did and it took like 45 min. but it still didn't work.I even tried uninstalling sims2 and then reinstalling it again because I thought maybe I didn't do it right but it still didn't work.So then we tried downloding DirectX 9.0c 2 other times and it still doesn't work.I bought this game yesterday and I am soooo excited to play it.I saved for weeks to get it.I don't want to have to take it back,I would rather get it working.Do you think you can help? Please write back when you can. Thank you!
    -Carie

Here is my stuffs:

---------------
    Display Devices
    ---------------
    Card name: 3dfx Interactive, Inc. Voodoo3
    Manufacturer: 3dfx Interactive, Inc.
    Chip type: 3Dfx Voodoo 3
    DAC type: 3Dfx Internal DAC
    Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_121A&DEV_0005&SUBSYS_103A121A&REV_01
    Display Memory: 16.0 MB
    Current Mode: 800 x 600 (16 bit) (60Hz)
    Monitor: MAG DX-700T
    Monitor Max Res: 1280,1024
    Driver Name: voodoo3.dll
    Driver Version: 5.00.2180.0058 (English)
    DDI Version: 7
    Driver Attributes: Final Retail
    Driver Date/Size: 12/7/1999 16:43:42, 333168 bytes
    WHQL Logo'd: No
    WHQL Date Stamp: None
    VDD: n/a
    Mini VDD: voodoo3.sys
    Mini VDD Date: 10/29/1999 15:00:58, 53008 bytes
    Device Identifier: {D7B71CFA-4345-11CF-9071-BE38AEC2C835}
    Vendor ID: 0x121A
    Device ID: 0x0005
    SubSys ID: 0x103A121A
    Revision ID: 0x0001
    Revision ID: 0x0001
    Video Accel:
    Deinterlace Caps: n/a
    Registry: OK
    DDraw Status: Enabled
    D3D Status: Enabled
    AGP Status: Not Available
    DDraw Test Result: Not run
    D3D7 Test Result: Not run
    D3D8 Test Result: Not run
    D3D9 Test Result: Not run

2. J. M. Pescado

J. M. Pescado Fat Obstreperous Jerk

Your computer is not up to spec: 3dfx has been out of business for years, and the Voodoo 3 is simply not up to spec for running TS2, nor are there any 9.0c-capable drivers for it (see: 3dfx has been out of business for years). The telltale maker here is that for "DDI Version", it still says 7. You need a driver for DDI Version 9+.

New video card time.

3. coolcatcarie

coolcatcarie New Member

Ok, Thank you so much! I thought I was going to pass out if I didn't find out soon! lol! Do you know about how much a new video card would be? Do I need voodoo 4 5 or 6?

4. coolcatcarie

coolcatcarie New Member

What card would be best?

5. KatAnubis

KatAnubis Lady Staff Member

It's important to know all your specs and what kind of computer you have to be able to help you. For example, if you have a laptop, you'd need to get a whole new computer (since any old enough to have a voodoo card would be too old to be upgradeable. Even now, upgradable laptops are rare and extremely expensive. Shoot, getting a laptop which can play TS2 is pretty difficult even because of the heat and space constraints of laptops.)

You check your specs by going to Start, clicking on Run, and typing in dxdiag in the box. Once you've activated it you will see several tabs.

The General or System Information tab has some of the information (mixed in with a lot of things you don't necessarily need:(

operating system
    processor (make/model and "speed" in ghz or mhz)
    memory (system RAM, "short term memory")
    direct X version

The Display or Display Devices you've already given us.
    To get your harddrive (long term) memory, go to My Computer, right click on your harddrive, go to properties and look at the total drive memory/space and the free drive memory/space.

You'll also need to know if you have AGP or only PCI slots. This tutorial is helpful in figuring that out: http://www.crucial.com/kb/answer.asp?qid=3994

6. raybabie07

raybabie07 New Member

ugh...

I just got the game The Sims 2 and have been DYING to play it but when I put the cd in and try to start the game up one of these three messages pops up...

"Failed to find any DirectX 9.0c compatible graphics adapters in this system! Please make sure you have a DirectX 9.0c compatible graphics adapter and have installed the latest drivers provided by the manufacturer. The application will now terminate."

"Microsoft Windows detected and recovered from a device failure. Please save your work and reboot to restore full functionality."

"The graphics adapter in this system experienced an internal error. Please contact your graphics adapter manufacturer for technical support. The application will now terminate."

I;m usually good with computers but I have no idea what to do now...please help!

Name: Intel(R) 82810E Graphics Controller
    Manufacturer: Intel Corporation
    Chip Type: Intel (R) 82810
    DAC Type: Internal
    Approx. Total Memory: 4.0 MB
    Current Display Mode: 1024 x 768 (24 bit) (60Hz)
    Monitor: Dell P780

7. J. M. Pescado

J. M. Pescado Fat Obstreperous Jerk

Chief, that ain't a video card. It's not up to spec for running TS2. You need to get a real video card, which may or may not be an option. What's your CPU's speed, and how much RAM do you have? That should have been indicated somewhere on the first panel of dxdiag. If you actually meet sane requirements, say, at least 1 GHz and at least a GB of RAM or so, open the computer up and look for a brown slot in your motherboard. It should be near the middle of the board, between the block where things like your keyboard and mouse plug in, and a collection of white slots where other boards are plugged in. If you do not have this brown slot, your motherboard does not have an AGP slot, and you're completely SOL. Time to get a new computer, in that case.

8. raybabie07

raybabie07 New Member

ugh...alright...how about this...

Intel(R) Celeron(TM) CPU 1300MHz
    510MB RAM

This is on my dad's computer which is a few years old, but I also tried the game on my mom's computer which she just got in June and it doesn't work either...

9. Cyricc

Cyricc Goblin Techies

Dunno, all integrated video = total crap. Both your computers might be using that... try running 3DMark03 (download free version at www.futuremark.com), if that doesn't work or you can't run the game tests, time for a video card upgrade.

The AGP slot doesn't necessarily have to be brown, as mine is green - but it's always placed above the stack of PCI (white) slots on the motherboard. I personally have never known of an AGP-less motherboard after 2000, but apparently they were still being sold in premade PCs until recently.

One way to find out whether you have an AGP slot without opening the case is Control Panel > System > Hardware > Device Manager > System Devices. If there is anything there that contains "AGP" or "Accelerated Graphics Port," then your system definitely has a slot.

10. KatAnubis

Your video card is not adequate to run TS2. It's not even a supported card. Shoot, the supported Intel cards barely work. They are just too low in terms of display memory ("approx. total memory".)

The minimum display memory is 32mb, and with a card like that, you really also need to make sure that you have at least 512mb of RAM (since 256mb of RAM is the minimum and with a shared memory card like that your effective RAM is way below minimum) and at least a 2.0ghz processor (preferably a Pentium and definitely not a Celeron. The Athalons in that range might be ok.)

This is not the old Sims which can run on any modern computer. (Although TS1 also required better computers when it came out, but since the required specs didn't change a whole lot as the "average" computer ability sky rocketed, became one for just about any computer.)

11. r_mak23

r_mak23 New Member

need help

I have the same problem raybabie07 except it only happens every now and then other times it works fine, my computer is only new, it meets all the requirements to be able to play the sims to, (the graphics card is 128mb, 512mb memory and 3.0ghz, pentium 4) it would be great if someone could help because it is pretty annoying when i have to restart the computer everytime and lose my saved game.

12. KevinLT

KevinLT New Member

Was wondering..

Why does everyone keep saying you need an AGP Slot when you can use a PCI slot as well for a video card? PCI cards are pretty good, however there are not that many available so if you don't have an AGP Slot, try going for the PCI Versions of either ATI Radeon 9200 or Geforce FX5200, those are the best ones out there for the game right now! :)

13. Vchat20

Vchat20 New Member

one note i have to make here: granted, yes, integrated cards arent the best, but in no ways are they unable to run the sims 2. im still stuck with the intel 82845G integrated graphics (64MB) on here, yet ive been able to run sims 2 just fine (albeit absolute minimum graphics settings) along side of a 2GHZ Celly and 512MB RAM w/xp pro sp1.

now raybabie07, your computer wont be able to handle it. first off, as mentioned, ts2 requires 32MB minimum of video ram. your card only has 4MB and is not in any way upgradeable. plus your proc isnt powerful enough even for a T&L capable card (which yours isnt). the minimum required proc is 1.5GHZ and 2GHZ for a non T&L card (eg. intel cards).

Kevin, PCI is at best a last resort in terms of graphics. if you dont have an AGP slot and dont have the money to upgrade the motherboard, by all means go for a PCI graphics card. but if you can get a motherboard with an AGP slot and a new graphics card, go that route.

14. KatAnubis

I can think of several reasons for wanting an AGP card over even the same number of PCI cards:
    1) PCI cards are more expensive than the exact same model in AGP
    2) PCI slots are slower than AGP slots for the equivalent card, so that even though the number is the same, it doesn't perform quite as well
    3) The best PCI cards available right now are the Radeon 9200 and the FX 5200. Whereas the cards which work the best for the game are above that level (such as the Radeon 9600 or better, or FX 5600 or better.)

So, if you have an AGP slot, it's better than a PCI. If you only have PCI slots, then you either work with what you have or you get a different motherboard.

One word of warning. Avoid any card which has LE or SE after it, as well as the Powercolor brand of cards. All of these are stripped down models which makes them cheaper but also makes them run less well than the regular models to the point where some of them perform below even the lower numbered models.

15. Cyricc

Cyricc Goblin Techies

To illustrate the difference between AGP and PCI:

A standard PCI bus is clocked at 33mhz and is 32 bits wide. Therefore, it transfers data at 33 * 4 byte/s, or 133 mb/s. This is the equivalent of ATA-133 IDE, or what most hard drives use.

A 1x AGP transfer rate is clocked at 66mhz and is 32 bits wide. Therefore, it transfers data at 66 * 4 byte/s, or 266 mb/s.

2x, 4x, and 8x AGP speeds are obtained simply by multiplying 266mb/s by the number. Therefore 4x AGP transfers at 1gb/s. 8x AGP transfers at 2.07 gb/s, or 16 times faster than PCI. When playing games with high texture detail, or using Antialiasing or Anistropic Filtering (to a lesser degree), the measly 133 mb/s of the PCI bus WILL choke up. Also, 133mb/s is the fastest speed of all PCI buses combined. Any other PCI card will sap some of that speed away from the graphics card, reducing transfer rates even more. PCI graphics is completely obsolete for gaming.