Troubleshooting Pointing Device/Selection problem

Discussion in 'The Sims 2' started by kayjen430, Nov 11, 2007.

1. kayjen430

kayjen430 New Member

Pointing Device/Selection problem

I started having a problem with selecting my sim and thought it was a problem with my touchpad (I have a laptop). I select my sim and the usual array of options will come up momentarily but will not stay up long enough for me to make a selection.

I replaced the touchpad and that fixed the problem for about a week and then it happened again. So I went to an external mouse and still have the same problem. So now I'm thinking it is a Sims problem, not a mouse problem.

I've tried disabling all custom content, but I don't know what else to try. Help!!!

2. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

Do you have custom cursor (pointer) scheme? (Like fancy animated arrows and stuff for Windows applications?) If so disable or uninstall it and hopefully the game will respond better.

3. Cygmark

Cygmark Sims Nubcake

:(

I'm having this same problem, and I found another post in which another user is also experiencing this particular issue. I'm pretty good with computers internally as well as externally and it's becoming quite frustrating that I haven't been able to divise a solution yet. If SIMs were a First-Person Shooter, I'd have done solved this problem! :p But seriously, this sucks; my girlfriend spent a lot of money on these SIMs games and I want to be able to get them functioning correctly again. I've messed with the touchpad, used a regular mouse while disabling it, fiddling with the GPU, reinstalling.. all kinds of stuff, but nothing's helped. The game runs perfectly with the mouse or touchpad except when it comes to trying to make your SIM perform a task. The menu surrounding their head will only appear for a brief moment, not long enough for you to select ANY action, and then just disappear as if I'd selected a task to initiate. If anyone can help me out here, I'd be incredibly appreciative. Thank you.

4. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Benevolent Dictator Staff Member

Did you install any patches for the game?

5. Cygmark

Cygmark Sims Nubcake

I haven't yet but I'm going to tonight, in hopes that it helps fix my problem. I've just got the basic DVD install of Sims 2 Deluxe with the Nightlife expansion installed and I'm not hesitant to say, after all I've gone through with this particular problem, I'm beginning to think this is an issue with Windows Vista or laptops running Windows Vista. :( *crosses fingers*

6. Cygmark

Cygmark Sims Nubcake

Yarrrg. I have 28k AOL dial up and I spent all night downloading Sims 2 updates.. for nothing. I have the Sims 2 Deluxe DVD with Nightlife Expansion included and when I go to update Sims 2 it tells me it's already up to date and when I try to update nightlife it tells me it's not even installed? I guess because NL is installed WITH my Sims 2 and not seperately it doesn't recognize the expansion? Or maybe this is another example of Windows Vista's incredible incompatibility with almost everything? :/ So frustrating..

My furious bits are infuriated for shizzle. Wish I could find that elusive toasty grilled cheese right about now..

7. Sim2 Rox da World

Sim2 Rox da World New Member

there are no patches from what i can see for the deluxe edition only for the base pack with no nightlife intertwined.

8. Cygmark

Cygmark Sims Nubcake

Ahh, I didn't think to look for that specific of an update.. I actually don't play the Sims, (my girlfriend does) and I guess that EA/Maxis release their updates a lot differently the most of the games I play. My girlfriend's just invested a lot of money into this laptop and the Sims games/expansions so I'd hate to see it go to waste. I know she absolutely adores the franchise and she hasn't been able to play for a good week, so I expect withdrawls soon. :p I'm really looking forward to a solution to this issue.. and from what I've read throughout the forums the staff seem to really know their stuff, so I'm not too concerned. Keep up the good work WorldSims. :)

9. ManagerJosh

Let me open a discussion with one of the Maxoids I know and see what I can turn up.

10. ManagerJosh

BTW Cyg, could you post up your dxdiag ?

11. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

Can you also post back an error log file by doing this:

Start the game. In the neighborhood view open the cheat dialog box and enter the debugging mode cheat code:

boolProp testingCheatsEnabled true

Now load up a house with sims in it. If there are unseen game errors, which are causing the problems then the game will become unplayable and you'll probably need to Ctrl Alt Del out and end the program with Windows Task Manager (obviously this won't affect any saved games because you won't be saving.)

Now retrieve the error log from:

Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2\Logs\

Ignore the long list of "missing anims" errors and the audio errors logs

You need the most recent ObjectError_N00?_a-z.txt file

Instead of a dxdiag report you could also add the config-log.txt file (it is prefixed with the Windows name for the computer thus: [computer-name]-config-log.txt

I still think it's a custom animated cursor though ... :rolleyes:

12. Cygmark

Cygmark Sims Nubcake

There ya'll go. Gave ya both what ya asked for. I have to say, from glancing at that config log, the Sims software doesn't seem to recognize much of this computer, and there are loads of inaccuracies throughout the thing. Not sure how much help it will be but I posted the DX dialog as well.

As far as the bool props thing goes, I started up the game and didn't experience any issues. I went into the Caliente house like I usually do when I fire the game up after fiddling with components, hoping it'll do some good, but the game didn't crash or lock up on me. Just still gave me the same ole same ole with the defective interaction menus. Mortimer rang the doorbell, and no one even came to greet him! I bet he's a sad feller right about now.. Anyways, I hope this helps piece this puzzle together a little bit more. Keep up the good work ya'll. :)

Attached Files:

13. Cygmark

Cygmark Sims Nubcake

It is SO not my cursor, cause I've set the cursor itself to a non-animated cursor.. the basic Windows 98/SE cursor, more or less. And as far as an ObjectError log goes, I don't have any. I've got Audio errors and AppErrors.. and a few others, but no Object errors. Fun fun fun.

14. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

LOL, Cymark. I feel your pain, but I was going to keep poking until I got a definitive no. :p

But your denial suggests that a custom animated cursor scheme might be installed. (It doesn't seem likely considering your slow dial-up connection ... but I can't see any reason for the problems from the data supplied.)

New dumb question: have you tried running with custom content disabled?

It is only by plugging away with stupid suggestions and daft questions that we arrive at the answer. This is true whether the seeker is a brain surgeon or financial consultant. The art is in probing without adding to the damage. ;)

15. Cygmark

Cygmark Sims Nubcake

*n00b*

Rawr. I will admit I am a Sims nubcake, but I'd like to think I'm somewhat educated about computers, inside and out. I'm not much for Simulation games, but I might be if we can ever figure out what the problem is. Like I mentioned before, I saw a few other types of error logs in the folder, but just a few, and not a one that had to do with objects, like the one you suggested previously. I'm hoping one of us will get it figured out, I really am. I keep checking the forums hoping for a simple solution.. almost religiously. rofl But seriously, there's no custom cursor even INSTALLED on this laptop except for some of the ones that are included with Windows Vista, which just go along with the themes. I have this thing set for maximum performance and minimal prettiness. There is absolutely NO custom content installed on this computer, only the fresh, standalone install of Sims 2 Deluxe (Nightlife Expansion is included, and I cannot install either separately; it forces the full download and does not offer the option of installing seperately), no custom content, no custom cursor, no custom paintjob, no nothing. :( This thing is spyware free, malware free, virii free, most recent drivers, and it's fully patched to Microsoft update. I don't get it .. We'll figure it out. Between you and Josh I feel pretty comfortable saying the problem will be solved.

16. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

Oh we'll keep poking it until it hollers, "stop".

Meanwhile try disabling custom content ... or bettr still drag the downloads folder from docs\ea _games\the_sims-2\downloads\ to the desktop (make sure it is moved and not just copied).

17. Cygmark

Cygmark Sims Nubcake

There's nothing in that folder, but I did as I was told, in hopes it'll do some good. :) And after nosing around through the Vista control panel for a while, I came upon some error logs that originated around the time this problem started occuring. Don't know if this'll be of much help, but hey it's worth a shot.

Attached Files:

18. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

Oooh that's interesting. I don't understand what that error log is saying but thank to Google we now know that Grabmi.exe is a tool used by Windows as part of its program compatibility protocol.

Now here's the difficulty. I'm running on Vista Premium (32 bit) with no trouble or need for setting or forcing program compatibility mode. You appear to be on Vista Basic which is sort of like XP deluxe so compatibility problems ought not to exist. I suspect that something got accidentally done to confuse things and now it's all on the wonk. :rolleyes:

My feeling is to suggest a clean reinstall of the game. (By all means keep a copy of the saved games folder before starting.)

After running the uninstall it would be advisable to run regedit to double check that all traces have been wiped from the registry. There's a guide in the FAQs to this, although that guide is for XP ... I doubt it is a lot different in Vista ... I've performed a SecuROMectomy on mine without bothering to consult any guides. :silli:

When you reinstall try to avoid running any program compatibility options ... and keep your fingers crossed.

19. Cygmark

Cygmark Sims Nubcake

Wow.. I had a feeling the registry had something to do with this. I'm not entirely sure on how to edit the registry but I'll go search for that FAQ you mentioned. I REALLY hope this works, and I've good a very funny feeling this is the answer I've been looking for. Let's find out. Thanks again; I'll keep you posted!

20. Cygmark

Cygmark Sims Nubcake

Nope.. didn't work. :( You are gonna LOVE this. My game runs.. WITHOUT registries. It won't let me uninstall it (aside from manually deleting the folders from my HD) but it will RUN the game, and PLAY the game. My interactions menus are STILL messed up but my game runs without registries and the uninstall.exes no longer work!

This is so much fun. :/