PopUp Blockers Failing

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by ManagerJosh, May 24, 2004.

1. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Benevolent Dictator Staff Member

PopUp Blockers Failing

Anyone who has a popup blocker notice that popunders are starting to bypass the system?

2. FaeLuna

FaeLuna The One and Only

I turned my popup blocker off to visit WorldSims but I had a really bad time this past week when we visited the official site for Shrek 2 and then the site of one of the bands that did the music. One of those sites had something on it that, when you played the music from the site, it INSTALLED several programs that caused pop ups, pop unders, cause a FALSE first page of results on the google.com search website, and made the text in webpages and articles (like the articles on msn.com) have words underlined in GREEN that were turned into links to some search engine I'd never heard of. I had a horrible time getting rid of it all and finally got Ad Aware, Spybot Search and Destroy, Hijack This, and another program from the same site that had the Hijack This program before I finally got it all off the computer. My popup blocker was unable to block the pop ups from this so if you're having troubles you might look up forums that troubleshoot things like this and see their suggestions, that's where I ended up getting my help and suggestions.

3. slimsim

slimsim Often-Idle Member

i hate the things that arnt pop ups but sorta part of the website itself

4. timz2rules

timz2rules New Member

pop-ups just keep getting smarter and smarter *shakes head*

5. FaeLuna

FaeLuna The One and Only

Are you talking about those ads that pop up to cover part of the page you're viewing, but aren't a separate window themselves? I scroll around so I can peek over the top and read the article I was trying to read anyway, and they disappear after a bit at least.... sigh....