Troubleshooting Pre-made Maxis houses crash game?

Discussion in 'The Sims 2' started by person123, Jul 31, 2005.

1. person123

person123 Frumpy McDoogle!

Pre-made Maxis houses crash game?

I was making another one of my crazy stories--this one is supposed to be about the mayor, a woman named Janice Bretterman or something like that, and her popular and rich daughter, Faith--and I was feeling too lazy to build a nice big manor for them to live in, so I decided to use one of the Maxis-made houses, the Federal Fortress. Then, surprise! While I was loading the house to furnish it, the game crashed and quit. Yes, I did search the forums before I posted. Any suggestions? Is it a glitch? Has anyone else had this problem?

2. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

Well if it happens again then it might be a bug or it might be a conflict with some aspect of download (mod or hack) that you have.

A one off crash isn't a bug though ... it's just something that happens now and then. Please let us know if this keeps happening :)

3. person123

Well, I tried again, and the Federal Fortress crashed again. Also, I took the really big lot in Pleasantview with the humongous mansion--the one with the premade gazebo; has anyone used it?--and put it in the Lots & Houses Bin, and then put it in my Scarlet Valley town. I decided to try to use it for my Bretterman family, and, to my pleasant surprise, it loaded perfectly well! So, I spent about an hour changing the wall covers and floors, and adding windows, and taking down some walls and adding walls--then, it crashed! A notification on the desktop came up, saying, "The application has crashed. The application will now terminate." And I couldn't do anything else in the game until I clicked 'ok' to the notice. Darn! An hour wasted! I was just getting started on the wallcovers on the second floor! I'm too lazy to load up the game again, but I remember vaguely when I first got the game, and some of the premade houses in Pleasantview crashed while loading as well, and they were still in Pleasantview.

4. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

Oh dear! I had my fingers crossed for you as well, 123. Can you post up a dxdiag report on your RAM, cpu and graphics card and driver?

5. person123

Um...I don't even know what those are. My brother takes care of the comp and viruses and all that; I just play TS2 and go on the Web. Maybe when he's in a good mood, I'll ask him to decipher that sentence for me.

6. garyalexza

garyalexza New Member

Do you have TS2 University expansion pack? As far as I can recall from previous posts I don't think you do.

If not, then have you updated with the latest patch for TS2 ?

7. Kristalrose

Kristalrose Wakey-Wakey!

123, were you wallpapering or decorating when the Federal Fortess crashed, too? Because I use that house and have no problems myself, but I was thinking maybe it was a downloaded build item that you are using that's causing the crashing?

8. surprised_by_witches

surprised_by_witches Sleep deprived

They sound like big houses. Maybe your computer just can't handle them? I've transplanted houses from Pleasantview too and never had a problem. I had a dorm that was bugged, once, and caused the game to crash. I bulldozed it and replaced it with a duplicate and after that it worked fine.

9. person123

Well, the Federal Fortress hadn't even loaded properly before it crashed. The other, really large house crashed while I was wallpapering and decorating. Maybe it was because I was using a downloaded set of tiled wallpaper and flooring--the Lavender Bathroom set at MTS2. Or maybe it was Lilac. I don't really remember. Garyalexza, I do not have Uni, and no, I haven't downloaded the patch. In the meantime I broke down and decided that I don't want to wait for it to get fixed, and I've built a close replica of the house I wanted to use. It's taking forever, though.

10. surprised_by_witches

Sounds like the fortress was buggy and the wallpaper or whatever you were using to redecorate the other house was too. You got double-jinxed!

I'd try using a different house. I've found a lot of really cool ones online and never had a problem.

Also, if you know which building tool it is I'd delete that too if it's custom (the wallpaper I mean).

11. Kristalrose

Kristalrose Wakey-Wakey!

I've got the Lavender set from WDS, and it runs fine on mine. :rolleyes: I just don't know, 123. Maybe, like everyone else said, it's the size of the houses. I downloaded some mansions on huge lots from "MikeInside" and my game ran so slow I finally moved everyone out and bulldozed the lots. From now on, no more mansions. But the Federal Fortress isn't that big.

12. person123

I download MikeInside's mansions purely so I can have fun recoloring most of the walls and floors and refurnishing them to my liking. They're a horror to play in, though.

13. person123

I finished my replica house, and it's even larger than the premade one. However, so far it hasn't caused any problems. :confused: Here is a comparison taken in the neighborhood view:

[​IMG]

The lot on the left is the one I made. :p

14. surprised_by_witches

15. Kristalrose

Kristalrose Wakey-Wakey!

I like it better anyway, 123. Very nice. :)

16. person123

Thanks! But it's gets a little slow everytime I switch floors.

17. person123

Well, I have to say that these problems will probably increase mightily since I just downloaded a load of more stuff. I was browing All About Style, and WHAM! I became obsessed with Victorian clothing and objects. Darn...

18. tlls62

tlls62 New Member

i have had some issues lately playing university. i have had my game give me a crash message when one of my sims was having a baby. it has also hapened when i am loading one of my families in the university mode. this is kinda like what you said, i think.

19. person123

Mine has only happened when I'm trying to load, or am playing on, a simless lot. Of course, there are those heart-stopping moments when the screen minimizes, only to show me options for StickyKeys.

20. surprised_by_witches

Have you found the victrola yet? If you haven't I'll try to figure out where I got it, if you're interested ...