Troubleshooting Problem Installing the new Patch....

Discussion in 'The Sims 2' started by micahdepeche, Nov 30, 2004.

1. micahdepeche

micahdepeche New Member

Problem Installing the new Patch....

During the instalation of the patch that just came out ( i am assuming its near the end of the install ) a box comes up saying there was an error installing it and the only option to click is OK. So I click it and the whole thing closes. Anyone have this problem too that was able to fix it? (YET????)

2. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

Hi,
    You probably have a modification installed that has altered you main game file.

If this is the case you should have made a copy of the orginal file. Just restore that original file and the EA patch will install.

If you don't have a back up. DON't panic!

Make a copy of your saved games by copying the folder C:\Documents and Settings\Your Name\My Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2.

Suggest you name the copied folder "copy of The Sims 2"

Note the whole folder must be copied. It is 3 gigabytes. Make sure you have enough disc space!

Then reinstall the game preferably uninstall it first. ;)

Then run the patch again and you should be sitting pretty!

Finally replace the C:\Documents and Settings\Your Name\My Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2 folder with the one named "copy of ~ etc" making sure that you get the name exactly right ... that is:-

C:\Documents and Settings\Your Name\My Documents\EA Games\The Sims 2

Meanwhile, hold out your left hand. Now hold out your right hand. Smack the back of your left hand with your right hand. Let that be a lesson to you not to install stuff without making a back up copy of the original configuration. :D:cool:

3. Cyricc

Cyricc Goblin Techies

Your savegame folder is 3 gigabytes? :eek: Mine is only like 700mb... just how much stuff do you have in there?

4. KatAnubis

KatAnubis Lady Staff Member

She must be playing more than you do. ;)

Mine is about 1 gb (as is my downloads file.)