Troubleshooting Problem with putting doors on house w/deck

Discussion in 'The Sims 2' started by FlareChan, Jan 15, 2008.

1. FlareChan

FlareChan New Member

Problem with putting doors on house w/deck

I noticed a couple other topics here with similar problems to mine, but none of those solutions fixed my problem, so I'm going to ask as well and detail my situation as best as I can. >.< Hopefully some simmer out there knows how to get through this...

Alright, so first thing: A friend of mine found a really cute house design on the web, and I printed out the blueprint, did all the math to make it fit in the sim building squares and got to work.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

The simple layout was easy enough with a few tweaks here and there, and I got caught up on the stairs for a little while, but eventually I overcame everything and got the house up. However, when I went to add the doors and windows, I ran into a bit of a snag. The windows went in just fine, albeit they were a little off since it seems like half my wall was hidden in the foundation, but the doors would not go in. I wanted to have doors in 3 places on the first floor, as shown by the illustrations:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Whenever I clicked to place the doors, though, it would beep at me and display the message, "Cannot intersect stage" whilst pointing to the foundation. I don't recall ever having this problem before, but then again, I don't build houses often. I do recall building a house on a foundation before though with steps leading up to the front door, and I didn't get this error. I'm pretty confused overall. I tried taking away the foundation on the inside of the house and replacing it with floor tiles, but that didn't work either.
    [​IMG]

I thought perhaps the stairs in the middle of my house might be having some effect on it, but I don't understand why they would since they're not in the same area as the doors, 1, and I disabled any code that I used to make them before attempting the doors. I found out a little later that I accidentally had the Moveobjects cheat enabled the whole time I was building, but I'm not sure if that would effect things or not yet...

The only other code I used was boolProp constrainFloorElevation false/true for the stairs, which look like this.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

It's a split-level, u-shaped staircase in the middle of the house. I put a lot of time into getting the darn things to work the way they were supposed to and making them work with the house design... so after making that accomplishment, for the doors to not work for me, I'm a little put out.

If anyone knows what's going on, or has any kind of a solution or reason for my door problem, please let me know. >.< I'm against a wall here, and I've run out of ideas for getting this to work. Nyaa, it's really frustrating...

2. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

I'm very sorry sweetheart but you have used the wrong decking. What you have used is the staging which is meant to be placed on the floors to add a raised area. It can also be place on top of decks.

I am sorry because your house needs to be completely rebuilt because the foundations and decks are not interchangeable with the stages. If you look carefully you will see that the windows on the ground floor are a lot closer to the floor than upstairs.

If you are building a house with a foundation you must only use the foundation tool (with the bricks) or the deck tools which are the dark wooden slatted ones. The panel-sided "deck" that you have used is the stage option and walls built on it start at its base and are therefore doors cannot be placed on them because the stage is in the way.

You have copied that house design beautifully, by the way, and I'd like to see your finished work ... and download it too!