Troubleshooting Question re Mirelly's sticky

Discussion in 'The Sims 2' started by lorelei92950, Sep 28, 2011.

1. lorelei92950

lorelei92950 Member

Per Mirelly's sticky:

Prepare Your Game Files and Computer For The Expansion First
    1. Play each family that is important to you so that you can be sure to save each family so that all members are home and no visitors are on the lot. Best advice is to save at 5:00 am (game time - not real time :eek:)
    2. Try to avoid saving families with unresolved problems for example:-
      • sim about to grow up
      • sim(s) at work/school
      • honeymooners not present
      • waiting for a nanny or taxi etc.
      • outstanding repo man or social worker warnings.
    3. If you pay very careful attention to the first two items you will have far fewer problems than if you ignore them.
    4. When you are happy that all your important families are safely saved ...
    5. Back Up Your Saved Games - Don't know how? -click here
    6. Delete your downloads folder - Don't know how? -click here
    7. Check that your display drivers are up to date - Don't know how? -click here
    8. Finally run a hard drive analysis and defrag if recommended - Don't know how? -click here
    9. Congratulations! Your PC is now utterly ready to receive a new Sims 2 expansion pack!
    Why does she say to DELETE your downloads folder? I mean I know you have to back it up, but then you should delete the folder completely? Is this only for when you add an EP or does it apply to when I uninstall everything and then reinstall everything? Thanks!

2. KatAnubis

KatAnubis Lady Staff Member

Alternatively, I suspect that you can just remove the TS2 file from the folder after you've saved the parts you want to save. That's what I always did and it worked just fine for all my installs.

Mostly what she's talking about is when you add an EP so that you don't end up with corruption in your family. You don't want the downloads file in place while you do an install. There are often things in a download file that can interfere or become corrupted easily.

3. Flameback777

Flameback777 Josh's Servant Staff Member

I would imagine this was more for while new EPs were still coming out.

It was a good idea to delete any mods that you were running and to download a new version that had been updated for the EP.

4. lorelei92950

lorelei92950 Member

I was going to back up (to a flash drive) Downloads, Projects, Neighborhoods and Movies. Then I was also going to back up the whole EA folder like I usually do. Then either way I should be save, I THINK. If I delete the TS2 file from under Documents, will all the things like Downloads, Projects etc. regenerate--only without my stuff? Then I can copy my backups--either the whole EA folder or the individual Downloads, Projects, Neighborhoods and Movies--and everything should be okay?

5. lorelei92950

lorelei92950 Member

Once I back up the Downloads, Projects, Neighborhoods and Movies, should I delete them from the file or just leave them or they'll disappear when I uninstall?

6. KatAnubis

KatAnubis Lady Staff Member

It will all disappear when you uninstall. That's why you need to save it somewhere safe.