quotes/sayings/wise words

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Jake, Oct 23, 2002.

1. Jake

Jake New Member

quotes/sayings/wise words

hi! i thought that in this thread we could all put stuff like sayings and wise words, quotes, etc....
    I'll start it off with a quote:
    People are always blaming their circumstances for what they are. I don't believe in circumstances. The people who get on in this world are the people who get up and look for the circumstances they want, and, if they can't find them, make them.
    - -- George Bernard Shaw

And now a saying, well 2 sayins...
    Ignorance is Bliss... (also quote from the matrix by the icky "good" guy.

if ignorance is bliss, why aren't more people happy?

2. Jake

Jake New Member

oh, i almost forgot... feel free to discuss the quotes and such.. like the quote i said about circumstances.. i believe that could be true as long as the person has the power/ability to seek/change their circumstances. however, if they dont have that possibility, then they could be right in blaming the circumstances..

3. Helén

Helén Posting Queen

Hmmm. interesting that about circumstances. I'm inclined to agree, but.... Well the best one I know is this one:

"Treat others as you want to be treated yourself."

4. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Benevolent Dictator Staff Member

I would never want to be ignorant...imagine of things happened around you and you never knew and it affected you big time.....it would be a disaster!

5. sugar_junkie

sugar_junkie Active Member

keep on smiling and keep on keeping on ;) thatz kinda lame,dont ya think??;)

6. Helén

Helén Posting Queen

No not at all Tess. :classic::classic::classic:

7. FaeLuna

FaeLuna The One and Only

Ah hah!! I knew this thread was hiding somewhere....

OK I'll try to post HERE and NOT in the "usa possible war" thread with sayings! That thread is so far off topic I was getting it confused with this one...

I like "Live and let live" :D

8. Helén

Helén Posting Queen

yes. That's a good one. :)

9. sugar_junkie

yep,i agree wif nina too :)

10. Jake

Jake New Member

one thing i have thought of about the "treat others as you want them to treat you" is what if you want to be treated as a jerK? now that wouldn't be fair/nice to others, as you would treat them as a jerk. and with people like me it would backfire...

11. sugar_junkie

but if ur nice ta someone that person would probably be nice to yaz right? ;)

12. FaeLuna

FaeLuna The One and Only

I think the "treat others like you'd want them to treat you" need a lot of interpretation, in general, it SHOULD mean, try to be considerate of others, and treat them how they want to be treated... not necessarily EXACTLY the same way YOU want to be treated, because we're all different!! Like if your favorite flavor of ice cream is banana cream pie, and your best friend HATES bananas but loves orange flavored ice cream, you buy them THEIR favorite flavor, NOT yours!!

13. Jake

Jake New Member

exactly Fae. as in your example, if you want banana cream pie and your friend HATES it, then dont give it to them when you would like it from them.

14. FaeLuna

FaeLuna The One and Only

I've had friends get all upset, because one of them was treating the other one EXACTLY the way THEY wanted to be treated, without considering how their friend was DIFFERENT!! I think communication is one of THE most important things with stuff like that!!

15. Jake

Jake New Member

YES YES YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is part of the problem (i think) with that saying, if you dont expand it to work, then things like you just described could (and will) happen. what i think is one of the best ways of getting to be treated the way you want is to tell the people around you. Now, obviously that wouldn't work if you wanted to be treated like a jerk and the people were nicer than that. But treating them like a jerk wont necissarily work either. i know because i've seen it happen. some one treats others like jerks so he/she can be treated like a jerk and the other people just get confused from the persons actions and end up not treating the person like a jerk.

16. FaeLuna

FaeLuna The One and Only

heh heh I would have a terrible time trying to treat anyone like a jerk anyway, even if they WERE being a jerk!! haha! It's just not ME!

17. Helén

Helén Posting Queen

LOL!! This was really nice! A saying that gives so much good debate. :classic: And frankly you're right guys.
    For me it means that you shall treat another with respect and after theire personal needs and wantings. (Doesn't mean they should be parasiting on you). That way you are entitled to theire respect and that they treat you after your needs and wantings. :classic:

18. Jake

Jake New Member

same here Fae!!
    i totally agree Nina..

19. sugar_junkie

so in other wordz,u guyz r sayin that from the quote,"treat otherz as u would want ta be treated" ur tryin ta say that u should treat otherz in a nice way and u'll be treated nicely too!...i think...lol ;) :)

20. Jake

Jake New Member

thats about right.