Troubleshooting Random Persistent Freezing During Sims 2 Play

Discussion in 'The Sims 2' started by SimQueen, Sep 23, 2008.

1. SimQueen

SimQueen New Member

Random Persistent Freezing During Sims 2 Play

I have had Sims 2 installed on this computer since 12/07, did an upgrade in 4/08 (Graphics card, PSU 500W, RAM), and since the end of July I have been experiencing random freezing (hard, instantaneous freeze where I have to shut down the computer manually) in multiple lots. Also, the same lot that will play for 2 hrs. at a shot one day with no problems, will freeze on entry the next day sometimes. There is never any weirdness of any type, just this aggravating random freezing. :mad: We are going to build a new computer soon, but I really would like to figure out this problem because it is so frustrating.

We just did a reformat/reinstall this past weekend, and the same thing is happening again. I have tested all my cc/hacks (no problems/conflicts), we have run software to check the temps of major components (no problems), and the computer has been all cleaned out of dust. It is not running hot or messing up in any other way. I don't have anything (and I mean anything) else on this computer except Sims 2. I am running up to Seasons (no Pets), and only the H&M stuff pack. I have less than 1G of downloads - some custom houses, some Maxis, playing strictly in PV with about 500+ character files. I use Clean Installer to install the few downloaded houses I have, and I check it regularly for duplicate files.

Here is my dxdiag:
    System Information
    ------------------
    Time of this report: 9/23/2008, 21:05:51
    Machine name: HEATHER
    Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.070227-2254)
    Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
    System Manufacturer: Dell Computer Corporation
    System Model: Dimension 4600
    BIOS: Phoenix ROM BIOS PLUS Version 1.10 A12
    Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.40GHz
    Memory: 2046MB RAM
    Page File: 294MB used, 3648MB available
    Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
    DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
    DX Setup Parameters: Not found
    DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.2180 32bit Unicode

Display Devices
    ---------------
    Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT
    Manufacturer: NVIDIA
    Chip type: GeForce 7600 GT
    DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
    Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_02E0&SUBSYS_A5593842&REV_A2
    Display Memory: 512.0 MB
    Current Mode: 1440 x 900 (32 bit) (75Hz)
    Monitor: Plug and Play Monitor
    Monitor Max Res: 1600,1200
    Driver Name: nv4_disp.dll
    Driver Version: 6.14.0011.7519 (English)
    DDI Version: 9 (or higher)
    Driver Attributes: Final Retail
    Driver Date/Size: 5/16/2008 14:01:00, 6108928 bytes

Any help with this issue will be more than gratefully accepted. :)

2. swmeek

swmeek I got your benevolent dictator pal!!

Have you tried updating your DirectX files ?
    Also the last time you installed a new video driver did you completely uninstall the old driver first or install the new driver over that?
    How computer savvy are you?
    I would download either one of these programs Driver Cleaner Pro from here http://downloads.guru3d.com/Driver-Cleaner-Professional-download-745.html
    or this program
    http://downloads.guru3d.com/Guru3D---Driver-Sweeper-(Setup)-download-1655.html
    Both are exceptionally good programs for cleaning up old unused video drivers that can become corrupted and cause headaches like this.
    BUT you really really need to read the instructions or else you can cause problems.
    Okay here's what I would do.
    Download the newest video card driver that your card and operating system supports.
    Completely uninstall the old driver by going into the Control panel>system>Device manager.
    Once that opens up locate your video card under the Display Adapters and double click that .
    A small window pops up and you will see a tab that says Driver at the top.
    Click that and then click uninstall.
    Once it's done restart your computer and while it's booting up click F8 and then choose Safe mode.
    Once you're in safe mode run whichever of the driver removal program you downloaded.
    Use it to remove any Nvidia,Ati and any of the Via etc. display drivers only.
    Empty the recycle bin at this point.
    Once you've done that run disk cleanup by going into the start menu , mouse over accessories and then mouse over System tools.
    Now go back once you're done and click diskdefragmenter under system tools as well.
    After this is done restart your computer and shut off your anti-virus and install the new driver.
    Sometimes an anti-virus program can cause problems installing software like this.
    See if this helps you!

3. SimQueen

SimQueen New Member

Thanks swmeek for your detailed reply! No, we have not tried updating our DirectX files - I'll try that tonight. As for the drivers, yes, my husband used the driver cleaner program when he updated them before. Plus we have just done a reformat so wouldn't that get rid of everything?

Last night I tried playing in window mode, since I saw someone posted in a thread on here that had solved their freezing problem - mine is still freezing in window mode. :cry:

4. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Benevolent Dictator Staff Member

What about all the latest patches for Sims 2? Do you have them installed?

5. SimQueen

SimQueen New Member

Yes, my games are all patched. We just did a reformat/reinstall and I made sure to check them as I reinstalled each one. My husband updated DirectX today, and I am going to play right now to check to see if that has made a difference. I'll report back...:)

Oh, I forgot to mention in my first post that I have tried playing with the boolprop useshaders false also, just in case it might make a difference but it didn't.

ETA: Just played a lot for 45 minutes with no problems, then it did the typical hard freeze routine. Bummer...

6. swmeek

This only happens when you play Sims2 and not any other games ?

7. SimQueen

SimQueen New Member

I actually don't play any other games (in fact I have nothing else on this computer but Sims2), but before the reformat my husband did put some type of 3D game on my computer just to test with and he said it played fine. I don't know which one it was. The computer never freezes accessing the internet, or any other functions. There was a new driver put out for our graphics card yesterday and my husband installed it - last night I didn't get any freezing, but as I said it is so random who knows...

8. swmeek

You might look through the release notes for that new driver and see if it mentions the 7000 series gpu specifically.

9. SimQueen

SimQueen New Member

I just checked it and it does specifically mention our GPU (GeForce 7600 GT). Were you under the impression it wasn't for that card or were you just recommending checking to be sure? :confused:

10. SimQueen

SimQueen New Member

Sorry for the double post, but it was too late to edit as I posted a while ago. Just reporting back to say that after a night/morning/night playing (about 3 hrs. RT) without any problems on 2 different lots that have frequently frozen, just now a lot froze dead that has never frozen. I'll tell you, this is the most frustrating problem ever!! :mad:

11. swmeek

Oh I knew it was for the 6000 series and up I just wanted you to see if listed the 7600 specifically as sometimes they do work out bugs for some certain cards with new drivers.
    This is weird as to why this is doing this .

12. SimQueen

SimQueen New Member

Yes, it's definitely weird seeing as I think my specs should handle what I am running. It is possible that somehow the CPU is bottlenecking even though it should be sufficient? I guess when it comes to computers, anything is possible! :rolleyes:

13. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Benevolent Dictator Staff Member

14. swmeek

The cpu should be more than sufficient to handle that card unless the motherboard Dell used is bottlenecking it because of it's design!

15. SimQueen

SimQueen New Member

Sorry for the delay - RL intervened! I'm attaching the hijackthis.log. Thanks so much for helping me brainstorm this frustrating problem. Right now I am in a period of a few days when it hasn't frozen at all on any lot - (shhhh...if it hears me, it's probably all over ;))

Attached Files: