Reality Facts: Getting a Demo for The Sims 2

Discussion in 'The Sims 2' started by ManagerJosh, Jun 25, 2003.

1. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Benevolent Dictator Staff Member

Reality Facts: Getting a Demo for The Sims 2

Just a minor venting commentary, but was browsing The Sims 2 Resource's forums and saw how pathetic the admin is in saying he's gonna try to get a demo for the members of The Sims 2 Resource.

Reality check: MAXIS NEVER EVEN MADE A DEMO RELEASE OF THE SIMS!

So what makes them think that there will be a demo version of The Sims 2?

Maxis isn't gonna be releasing a demo in the first place because it opens the possiblities to hackers trying to fiddle around with the software in addition to why would they distribute to a site virtually unknown! Sites like 7DeadlySims or Simfreaks has a much better chance getting a copy of The Sims 2 before it comes out to the public than a small site like this.

I'd say watch out for these guys cause they say things they can't even fulfill a quarter way.

Oh btw, Callan Milne (owner of the site) doesn't even know anyone from Maxis other than Will Wright. I doubt he knows any other maxis official there as well like the people who updates TheSims.com or some of the developers.

I also doubt they would give a copy of The Sims 2 to someone who lives in Australia considering that Maxis is based in San Francisco, California, USA!

Imagine all the security risks it would be if Maxis sent the game to Callan. If someone intercepted the game, imagine the chaos! Maxis' new lighting engine to be divulged and its secrets in the game exposed leaving it wide open for people to slip computer viruses into your objects when the game gets released.

Even worst is that someone creates a competiting product against Maxis (which is their worst nightmare) based on their technology (even bigger nightmare).

They can't send it via the email or the internet because someone with enough internet skills could intercept the data from Maxis make a copy and continued the sending to Callan and no one would have missed it.

They can't send the package via the mail since it would be a big risk like the package gets lost or someone steals it out of Callan's mailbox.

Any chance for a demo? Hardly considering all the security problems in addition to Callan being a non-US resident and the propietary technology maxis wants to keep

2. suitemichelle

suitemichelle Gramma's here!

Go get 'em, Josh!!

3. simsamgrl16

simsamgrl16 New Member

yea tear em apart!

4. AddictedToTS2

AddictedToTS2 New Member

also Callan could sell copies on ebay which wouldn't be fair to maxis and like josh said, it would most likely end up in the wrong hands. The only slight possible way for Callan to get a demo would be for him to go all the way to california, and if he's a kid... HOW THE HECK can he go to Cali? :)

Get a real life

5. simsamgrl16

simsamgrl16 New Member

yea true he wuld say to his mom: mom, can we drive to cali?i really need sumtin there please?

6. mattho

mattho New Member

Lemme just put this to you all. 'Demos' are demonstrations. They aren't exclusively given out to a select few - and generally when they are distributed, they are free, open to the public and are free to get access to.

I think Josh, you're thinking more about an 'alpha' or 'beta' version, or a leak. This is what Maxis would be worried about, rather than a demo. Demos are released for new games all the time - there are usually no security issues in relation to that.

Oh, and just another 'tidbit' I see no reason why a protected piece of intellectual property couldn't be sent overseas - they do have security procedures, and it's not usually as simple as just 'sending a parcel over'. ;)

7. simsamgrl16

simsamgrl16 New Member

i dint no dat lol i really thought u can give a computer virus through demos but every 1 noes that therez not gonna b a demo but create-a-couch and create-a-sim demo will *** out in nov or oct

8. REDXIII

REDXIII New Member

:( I WANT A DEMO NOW P:(

9. simsamgrl16

simsamgrl16 New Member

it will *** b4 u no it think bout sumtin else like...school or anuther of ure fave things to do take a walk outsidde or SUMTIN to get it off ure mind

10. AddictedToTS2

AddictedToTS2 New Member

simsamgrl, you should spell the correct word. "c.u.m" is sort of offensive, plese use COME...not the offensive version.

11. lilfaeriegirl078

lilfaeriegirl078 New Member

go josh!! thesims2resource is a crappy site!! this one is way better! woo hoooooooooooo:cool:

12. simsamgrl16

simsamgrl16 New Member

i cant help it my stupid keyboard iz broke sdo i have to use shortend words (mah sis spilld water on it n all the keys will go like this:

i xcant hwelp it my sdtupisd kweyboarsd iz brokwe sdo i havwe to uxsdwe sdhortwends weorsdsd (mah sdisd sdpillsd weatwer on it n all thwe kweysd weill go likwe thisd:

13. Jake

Jake New Member

oh my.. that is funky typing :p still, typing one word right shouldn't be too much troublesome.. anyway...

who knows if the ts2r dude will get a demo, and personally, who cares? whats he goin to do to benifit his site? put it up on there? if its a demo it would prolly be much like the one they have been showing writers and reporters so far. and yes, there are secure ways of sending packages.

. o O ( altho, the uranium for the first nuclear bomb was transported in the back of a chevy from washington to nevada i've heard... course that was a long time ago :p )

14. simsamgrl16

simsamgrl16 New Member

ok anyway.....

15. mattho

mattho New Member

Neh... If there's a demo, it's a public release. They don't just send demos out to specific people:bandit:

16. katrina

katrina New Member

I doubt there'll be a demo