Troubleshooting Recommended Specs

Discussion in 'The Sims 2' started by Ub3rshade, Jan 1, 2005.

1. Ub3rshade

Ub3rshade New Member

Recommended Specs

I think I'm good, considering I'm building a new computer as we speak (just ordered the case)Though I /know/ I'm good for everything ( AMD Athlon 64 3400+ 939-pin, K8t800 pro mobo, Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS, Geforce 6800 GT 256MB DDR), I'm wondering about the ram. And yes, minimum requirements are the /bear/ minimum, for terrible framerates and really messed up detail. 256 obviously ain't going to cut it, but I plan on purchasing a single stick of 512 MB, first thing is: 512 MB enough to run the sims 2 with everything at high with no visible drop in smoothness? Second: What type of memory should I purchase? I'm in a three way tie between Crucial Memory, Kingston, or Corsair. (PC3200 btw).

Fianlly, with my higher end graphics card, soundcard, harddrive, thermaltake cooling system, and some lighting for my case, would a 480w power supply be enough?

Just to give an idea of what I'm leaping from:
    [​IMG] to [​IMG]

2. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Benevolent Dictator Staff Member

I'd build your own PC for one and two, use 1GB of OCZ or Geil memory instead :)

1GB and 512MB gives you noticeable performance :)

480watts psu should be suffice, but it also depends who you use. I know like powersupplies created by OCZ are rated something, rather than displayed as Maximum possible like other power supplies.

3. Ub3rshade

Ub3rshade New Member

I wanted to get the Thermaltake power supply, because of the the cheap price (85), and the ability to control the 80mm fan as well as the power supply, although I did here it was quite loud, but I've already got 2 120mm fans and an 80mm fan, and getting a liquid cooling system would be overkill. I'm also wondering if I'm not going to fry my computer?

For cooling: Power supply contains an 80 mm fan, case has 2 blue LED 120mm fans, Thermaltake Combo (not volcano), supports Athlon 64 3400+. Should I get a new thermal compound? (Such as Arctic Silver). I'm going to be running a Geforce 6800 GT as well, but I've heard that the fans that I have can blow /a lot/ of air, and the dracula case has good ventilation.

4. ManagerJosh

The noise is going to drive you up the wall seriously. Get the OCZ ones...they are like dead quiet...

It wouldn't fry your computer...as long as you use the proper cooling material...

I think also the Zalman fans is quite nice :)....perhaps consider one of their CNPS-7000 or 7700 AlCU or CU series...

5. Ub3rshade

Ub3rshade New Member

Alright, Where do you shop for your high end parts anyways? I just get mine from Newegg/Xoxide. (BTW, I'll probably get a cheaper one for now, load it with Arctic Silver 5, then save up for one of those Zalman Radiators.)

6. Cyricc

Cyricc Goblin Techies

About the memory, if you're looking for best performance, get the best PC3200's supporting those killer 2-2-2-5 latency timings. I know Corsair makes a few of those. As far as I know, they only come in 512 megs per stick however.

I assume you OC? That stuff is way over my head, so I can't input anything about custom cooling and whatnot :)

7. ManagerJosh

Usually I tend to buys stuff directly :) I hate going through NewEgg as I know who they buy from...so I tend to jump them :)

8. ManagerJosh

Actually I personally think Corsair is only okay. They tend to be overpriced. I think so far these are the best memories out there :)

http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/memory/ocz_el_ddr_pc_3200_gold_vx
    http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/memory/ocz_el_ddr_pc_3200_dual_channel_gold_vx

400MHz DDR1 [​IMG]CL 2-3-3-8 at 2.6V [​IMG]CL 2-2-2-8 at 3.2V
    (CAS-TRCD-TRP-TRAS)
    [​IMG]Available in 1GB (2x512) Dual Channel Optimized Kit [​IMG]Unbuffered [​IMG]Gold Mirrored Copper Heatspreaders [​IMG]Lifetime Warranty [​IMG]3.2 Volts [​IMG]184 Pin DIMM

9. Ub3rshade

Ub3rshade New Member

I believe you can really make sure you know what you're getting from the crucial memory site (and its cheap for the quality you get, and its factory direct). And yea, I probably should buy my stuff directly. (BTW, where does Newegg buy from?), I'll be getting a stick of 512 geil, then I'll harvest my computers for more sticks of ram (my motherboard has 4 slots, for a 4 gb max).