How Do I red walls everywhere

Discussion in 'The Sims 2' started by khamill0710, Apr 17, 2006.

1. khamill0710

khamill0710 New Member

red walls everywhere

i just bought sims 2 family fun stuff but all the walls are red een when you go to the build mode and try to paint over them everything is still red what can i do

2. MegRen

MegRen New Member

I had this problem, too. It turns out I have an unsupported graphics card, which only became a problem with Family Fun. I uninstalled Family Fun, but that proceeded to ruin my whole game, even when I used my backup, so I had to completely uninstall everything and start from scratch. ::sigh:: My suggestion, get a new graphics card.

3. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

Oh, my bad! Meg! That's not good at all. :eek:

4. surprised_by_witches

surprised_by_witches Sleep deprived

I don't think you could pay me to buy this pack.

Just don't need stuff that badly, with all the free downloads around, and it sounds BUGGY.

No surprise after the holiday pack fiasco. :rolleyes:

5. KatAnubis

KatAnubis Lady Staff Member

It's good to know this. Some of the SMs were mentioning the problem because several Simmers had mentioned it. It's good to know the reason.

Sorry to hear you had to start over, Meg. That's hard. (I had to do that just before TS2U came out and again right before NL. I was lucky with OFB and FF though. I hope you'll have better luck in the future.

6. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

I'm sorry everyone but I agree with SBW. I won't be buying it either. I had more or less made the decision before it even came out. I am so not interested in dressing up my sims in animal outfits. If anyone had asked me for my opinion I would've said that we don't need more stupid meshes to wrap their skinny backsides in, nor do we need any more headgear. What we do need are more variety of hair styles and body shape.

I hated that the Holiday pack just bloated out the buy/build catalog with "decorated" versions of the wallpapers and doors, I hated it even more that the same was done with the flipping trees. What I would really like is some variety in the choices for my sims at the top end of the catalog. Without the hard work of meshers and object creators the only bed available to a sim would be that dratted 4-poster (all the other Maxis beds are energy 6 and below and are therefore not worth owning ... unless your sim is newly created and is seriously short of cash).

Signs and rumors point to the next EP being a pets-themed job. I doubt that I will buy that either. It was fun in TS1 but far too limited and much too annoying with all those strays. I would buy a vacation themed pack (even if it looked less than promising); I would also definitely go for something that dramaticially widened the career choices ... sooner or later ... mostly sooner ... every family in every hood ends up looking demographically identical to every other with a motley collection of superheroes, arch-criminals and mad scientists with a general and a mayor or two thrown in for good measure.

So this rant is ranting on because I am, frankly, shocked and appalled by the dismal level of attention paid to detail in throwing together a few new objects. Hells teeth! The April Fool llama-downloads at MTS2 were safer, better tested and (probably) more numerous than the FFS pack's measly 60 items and they didn't screw up your game if you tried to remove them afterwards. Most importantly they were "thrown together" by some good folks who used their spare time and absolutely minimal hardware and financial resources to achieve their spectacular "fun stuff".

(I'm sorry Josh :eek: ) but the modder community didn't need to publish a load of old bollocks masquerading as a designers' project folio to show how much care and attention they had put into their "fun stuff". Will Wright, all the Maxoids, Maxis and its parent, EA Games, should all be ashamed for their complicity in rushing out a crappy product that was poor value for money even before it was found to be substandard.

/End rant mode

I'm still cross, though. :rolleyes:

7. MegRen

MegRen New Member

Well, now that I've already bought the thing, I may try to install it after my friend puts my new motherboard and graphics card in my computer, but I'll only do that after I'm POSITIVE I have backed up every last little file in case I have to uninstall it again. I had to start my royal kingdom challenge all over again, and I don't feel like doing that again.

8. surprised_by_witches

Hear, hear, Mirelly. Kind of makes one lose faith in Maxis when they try to pass off stuff like that as something worth paying for.

Body shapes, different body heights, new hairstyles, different "normal" clothes, bicycles, skateboards, camping gear ... that's the kind of thing that would make me want to buy something, and only if it wasn't buggy.

And more careers would rock! Here are a few ideas: Private Investigator, Homemaker, Landscape architect, Journalist, Zookeeper, Teacher, Firefighter, Musician ....

I think if they do a pets EP it should incorporate a lot more than just Fluffy and Fido. How about just one type of dog, one type of cat, some more caged pets, and then a whole bunch of other, non-pet-related stuff, like some of the things mentioned above ...

9. Ruthie_Faye

Ruthie_Faye New Member

I think they should have expanded the family fun thing to a full blown expansion pack and included a lot of those things. The bicycles and camping gear would be great for family fun! I saw something they used to have in the forties or fifties on a movie the other day that would be fun. It was like a skateboard with a box thing at the front with handlebars. It was on one of the "back to the future" movies with Michael J. Fox.

Another idea would be either a tricycle or bicycle pulling one of those trailer type things to put the toddlers in. You can have them "go for a ride" and they leave the lot just like with the car. But then other sims will drive by your lot, either just the kids or parents with their kids.

Ruth

10. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

If there were to be a pet-based EP that I would consider buying it would have to offer:
    • 1 cat size with short and long hair meshes
    • 3 dog sizes (small, med & large :rolleyes:) each with 3 body styles, skinny, average and heavy and with short, curly and long hair meshes
    • All animals to have 3 life phases, pup, adult, and lethragic elder
    • Animals cannot use doors unless fitted with pet-access, purchased seperately.
    • No, or almost no, strays ... maybe a Tom cat.
    • No flipping pests!
    • Pets not to be part of family limit of 8, separate limit of 8 pets per house.
    • Pet life span no more than 25 days
    • duh
    I'll probably change my mind completely tomorrow and just admit I won't buy it anyway, on principle! :p

Meg's troubles When this sort of thing happens it would be best to save the screwed-up saved games folder before reinstalling. Then when a patch comes out you could try reloading the game with saved screw-up and see if the patch resolved the issues enough to rescue you important families.

Oh yeah! and cats and small dogs must sit on laps, all dogs must beg for scraps at table (especially off nice guests) ... larger dogs to help themselves ... especially from the serving plate ... doing so can transfer worms and amusing digestive disorders to humans. Small dogs must chase cars, big dogs must like the taste of postman almost as much as they enjoy a haunch of social worker or repo man but the sweetest dog meat (tenderer, even than a nice Marsh Bruenig Tartare) is found inside the pants of a burglar. :p

(Oh boy I'm having fun being mean about Maxis, but let's face it: FFS was about as dreadful as it gets ... especially as most of the trouble stems from the hugely profitable corp's pointless attempts to stop people sharing the files. I'm just glad to make sure I won't download anything that looks like it came from FFS. Those who plan (or have planned) to steal software are not put off, nor stopped, by security measures; though the measures may spoil full enjoyment of the software ... but that's a separate issue. One doesn't make a product more desirable to a thief by making it so hard to steal that it is no longer attractive to the honest punter. It's like going into Prada, buying a pair of shoes and then finding that they're superglued to the inside of the box and pulling them out to actually wear them also destroys them. I don't think so!)

11. KatAnubis

You may also want to wait until they have a patch ready. I've not run into any FFP related problems yet, but the CAS/FFP clothes problem is not something that I would have had anyway, so some things may depend on how you use the pack to play the game.

I think that people may have been happier if they hadn't added some of the extra things that otherwise would only come in one of the older EPs. I'm told that they added to the want/fear aspiration things and some other things that if you had TS2U, Nightlife or OFB you would already have.

I have noticed that my Sims have gone back to being lushes if they have a bar in the house. So, once again my Sims have had to have their bars removed so they don't spend all their energy and time at the bar drinking.

12. surprised_by_witches

Hey, speaking of bars, I had a sim who wanted to order a drink at a community lot and the action kept canceling out. Is this something that's fixed by the latest patch?

I haven't installed it yet because I've heard it causes problems.

She could do everything else, just not order a drink.

I'm pretty sure she's not pregnant.

Anyone else have this happen?

13. Ruthie_Faye

Ruthie_Faye New Member

"She could do everything else, just not order a drink.

I'm pretty sure she's not pregnant.

Anyone else have this happen?"

Are you sayingthat if they are pregnant they can't order Juice Drinks?

Ruth

14. surprised_by_witches

I'm not sure. I just thought maybe they wouldn't be able to.

I know they can't use the love tub.

15. jupitershana

jupitershana Kitty Fanatic!

LOL, they can still drink because it's just "juice" But that would be funny!

16. KatAnubis

I had this problem on one of my community lots. My Sim would order a drink, but it would cancel out. It turned out that there was something (which I hadn't seen with the walls down) which was preventing the bartender from getting close enough to where the Sim was sitting. And the durn Sims always seemed to want to sit in that particular place. It was very frustrating until I figured out why and removed the item (a wine rack).

17. simscrazy247

simscrazy247 New Member

I had the same problem, but instead of the wall being red, the pond water was. A new graphics seemed to do the trick.

18. KatAnubis

The "red water" problem was very common when the game first came out. Usually getting new drivers for existing graphics cards, or upgrading to a supported graphics card did the trick.

19. simscrazy247

simscrazy247 New Member

Missed a word out didn't I.:(

20. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

LOL ... I do that all time :rolleyes: