SimCity 4 Registering at Simcity4 site

Discussion in 'SimCity Legacy' started by Seatac, Jul 7, 2003.

1. Seatac

Seatac New Member

Registering at Simcity4 site

Has anyone had trouble registering at the Simcity 4 site? :mad:
    http://simcity.ea.com/

A person has to be a software registered user to download the new features and upgrades from their site, and to join their BBS or forums, but they are not accepting my registration for either of the software games that I own. They keep rejecting them, stating they have already been registered by someone else or are invalid.

These are both 100% legitimate software programs in their original CD case with the registation number on the back of the case that was put on there by their own company, and yet they are rejecting them as invalid.

Both of these games, Simcity3000 Unlimited and Simcity 4, were sealed in the box when I bought them, and neither of them have ever been used by anyone but me. There is no way they could have been registered by anyone else, and I am totally frustrated that I am unable to register so that I can download the new landmarks and lot editor, etc. I have written to the company and have not received a response.

Has anyone else experienced this problem, and if so, how did you resolve it? Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

Thanks,
    Paula

2. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Benevolent Dictator Staff Member

Hi Paula,

Try entering your serial number WITHOUT any hyphens...just as pure numbers. If that doesn't work, enter with hyphens.

Lemme know if that works. If it doesn't, I'll contact a Maxis person to take a look into what's wrong.

3. Seatac

Seatac New Member

Hi ManagerJosh

Thanks for your reply!

I have already tried what you suggested....no-hyphen, but still no-go, either. :disappointed:

I did finally manage to find a place on the Simcity4 site to have a new serial number issued to me if I am having errors during installation. http://eatech.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/...td_adp.php?p_faqid=10599&p_created=1042746339

But that is not my problem at all. Both CD's install, uninstall, and re-install just perfectly. All I need is a means of becoming a "product registered" member rather than just a "site registered" member.

I have taken a digital photo of the Simcity3000 Unlimited disk and the Simcity4 disks, along with a good enough shot to even read the serial numbers for each of them, but I thought I'd run this by you first, as I sure don't want to mess up my install capabilities if they issue me a new number. All I want is to be able to be a "product registered" member so I may download the "free" landmarks, lot editors, and cities, etc

If you wish, I can send you the digital shot I've taken, or I can send you the serial numbers I have for the two games, or at your suggestion I can send the photo to the email listed in the article of the above URL.

If you wish me to send them to you, would I do it by PM or email? Obviously, I cannot post them here because of the very legible serial #'s on the photo that we are not supposed to share!

Thank you so very, very much for helping me, Josh. It has been soooo frustrating to me. It would be wonderful if you could contact the folks at Maxis or Simcity4 or whomever, and get them to flip the switch that gives me the OK as a "product registered" member! :LOL:

Blessings, and happy gaming to you, and thanks again,
    Paula

4. ManagerJosh

Paula, open up a troubleshoot ticket here at the TECHNICAL SUPPORT forums. This way only worldsims staff and myself can see it, and not guests.

It is at the very bottom of the forums at http://forums.worldsims.org/forums

5. bubba12

bubba12 New Member

serial code problem

Yah Ihave the same serial. and I tried and tried and it does'nt work. It sucks. But I lost my cd case, but I always make the habit to write down the code in a safe place just in case I loose the case like I did now or else I loose the code. So I odn't know how I will get the regestration done.

Thanks

6. ManagerJosh

If you have a receipt/proof of purchase, you should be able to get another serial number from maxis. You'll need to call their tech support.

7. bubba12

bubba12 New Member

Well thanks. If I don't find the receipt which I usually throw away after a while when the warranty is gone, I probably won't be able to get that regestration done.

but thank you

8. Seatac

Seatac New Member

Hey Bubba12

http://eatech.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/...ated=1042746339

You might want to try going to the above URL and following their instructions in hopes of obtaining a new serial number, but even though I sent a digital photo of my original discs, the back page of my manual with the 'proof of purchase' barcode, and the cd case with the serial number clearly showing in the photo to Manager Josh at his request, that apparently wasn't sufficient proof to him that I owned the game, so I wonder if that would be sufficient proof of ownership for Maxis/EA folks either. And all I wanted to do was obtain 'registered user' status on the Simcity4 site to enable me to download the *free* add-on buildings and some cities created by other users!

I did finally find a site where I could download those add-ons, but by then, I was so ticked off by the whole thing, I didn't even want to see the box the game came in, much less the game itself, so I chucked the whole mess on the top shelf in my closet and one of these days I'll get around to taking it down the the half-price book and software store to trade it in and see if I can get five bucks for it.

After wasteing two frustrating weeks trying to solve this problem, I just gave up and went back to my Sierra simulators, (Pharoah, Cleopatra, Zeus, Caesar, etc) and the Roller Coaster games. I never cared for Simcity 3000, and it doesn't appear that Simcity4 is any great improvement. Certainly not worth the $49 my roommate paid for it as a gift to me while I was in the hospital, nor worth all the anger and frustration I went through just trying to join the Simcity site.

What a ridiculous fiasco....Maxis/EA has gotten the last dollar out of me, that's for sure, even though I had originally intended to buy the Rush hour addition coming out this Fall.

I certainly feel that Maxis or any other software company is entitled to copy protection strategies, but we consumers should also have some sort of protection from being denied our rights as the software purchaser. There must be a way to 'nail the crooks' while still protecting the honest consumer who may have lost their cd case, received the game as a gift, or has not kept their receipt.

I sincerely wish you the best of luck obtaining your serial number, Bubba12.

9. golfbunny

golfbunny New Member

If you want some more buildings.
    www.simtropolis.com
    And if you send a nice PM to the member Tropod about your troubles he may be able to fix it up (he's an moderator on the official bbs).