Troubleshooting Reinstalling Issues- Tried everything else I could find!

Discussion in 'The Sims 2' started by ViciousBleu, Jun 16, 2006.

1. ViciousBleu

ViciousBleu New Member

Reinstalling Issues- Tried everything else I could find!

The overall problem: I installed Sims 2 and University on my computer in the fall successfully. Due to it's distracting factor, I uninstalled it last semester using the games uninstall program. I got a second copy of the Sims 2 for christmas (The Holiday Edition CD) but not having a use for it, let a friend borrow it and it ran perfectly on their computer.

When I decided to reinstall the game, I've been trying to use the Holiday Version (which I've never had on this computer) since I don't have the older game with me here. First time, it got to the third disc before having the infamous disc freezing so I restarted installation but no matter what I do now, it stops at the famous 23%. :(

System Information:
    1. Processor: Intel Pentium 4 2.8GHz
    2. System Memory RAM: 510 MB
    3. Windows Version: XP
    4. Free Hard Disk Space: 14 GB
    5. Total Hard Disk Space: 70.8 GB
    6. DirectX Version: Direct X 9
    7. Display Adapter: Intel 82865
    8. Display Driver: ialmrnt.dll 6.14.0010.4396 9/20/2005
    9. Approximate Total Video Memory: 96 MB
    10. Game Detail: Sims 2: Holiday Edition CD-ROM (Warrenty Expired)
    What I've Tried:

CDs are free from dirt and scratches, anti-virus shut off and background systems turned off with internet disconnected.

Renamed InstallShield to InstallShieldOld.

Ran the disc through the Compatibility Wizard.

Deleted older Sim files from the Regisrtry (thanks to this site!)

Manually copyed disc to hard drive.
    Note: I followed the instructions on EA Tech for this exactly, yet when I ran auto-run I was still prompted to 'Insert Disc 2' and wasn't sure how to proceed from there since I had no further instructions.

*****​

I tried to make this post as informative as I could of the problem and really would love to not have to quit my beloved game just as I have all this free time over the summer! I've seen a thread on here where somebody was having a problem like this from purchasing pre-played games and it was fixed with buying a brand new game, but I'd really hate to have to resort to that. Thank you so much in advance!

Bleu

2. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

My initial reaction is to ask if you tried clicking the OK button. What happened?

Thanks for such a thorough description. I wish everyone was as resourceful and thoughtful as you, VB!

PS Slightly concerned by the RAM numbers in your specs. 510MB RAM and 96MB Video memory = 606! Since RAM comes in multiples of 64MB there appears to be an unresolved memory issue ... can you check that and report back?

3. ViciousBleu

ViciousBleu New Member

I wasn't sure if I was getting the right information from running dxdiag I'm just going to copy and paste from the System Information. :eek:

If there's still a problem, it might explain some things. I'm pretty sure I'm getting the right information.

As for the manual install, once I press 'okay' it just keeps popping up the same window as if I hadn't done anything. I looked in the second desk file I had made, but there was nothing that looked like another autorun.

4. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

Hope this doesn't come across as smart-arsey ... double check you have named those disc image folders correctly. They should be spelled with a k, thusly: Disk1, Disk2, etc.

For reasons best known to the world of geekery discs, floppy or otherwise, are spelled with a K (take a look at My Computer :rolleyes:
    )

5. ViciousBleu

ViciousBleu New Member

Solved!

Sorry it took me so long to come back to reply and all, but I've been just so busy PLAYING MY SIMS! :D

It worked! I can't believe I overlooked something as 'disc' vs 'disk'! Thank you so much!

6. Cabinet

Cabinet Trust Me

Is that info stickied somewhere? Because most people don't think about it.

7. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

I think it is possible to overdo the sticky thing. I've been a bit cavalier in the past in unsticking stuff that was past its use by date. The information is quite clear in EA support's instructions and the instruction is clear that spelling is crucial and the disc [sic] image names are set in bold type: Disk1, Disk2 etc. Frankly this is a matter of the curse of the english language where mission can be pronounced failure and that phrase can make cents :confused: