Troubleshooting Reinstalling

Discussion in 'The Sims 2' started by Kat786, Jan 27, 2007.

1. Kat786

Kat786 New Member

Reinstalling

I noticed the post Everlasting load screen. And I would install it but before I do, I want to know, will my downloads still be there?! I really love my downloads and some are real great but arent on sims2.com anymore and I am worried I wont be able to use them anymore!:cry:

2. KatAnubis

KatAnubis Lady Staff Member

Whenever you install a new EP/SP (past Uni anyway), they do the initial install with custom content disabled (so that if there's a problem, you're better able to tell if it also happens without the CC.) You'd need to then click enabled, exit the game and then reload the game for your downloads to work.

If you are really concerned, it's a good idea to save your Mydocs/EAGames/The Sims 2 file to the desktop or to a file of your choosing outside the game file. Then, once everything is working, you can copy it back in to replace what the game regenerated. (It's called a "backup". You can also keep that in case your computer glitches and renew it periodically so that you're less likely to lose all your work.)

Doing a backup as suggested is the best way to maintain your game in case things don't workout.

However, most downloads (except those which were made before UNI) will show up just fine, with rare exceptions. So, really you don't need to worry that you won't be able to have them work. (And to be redundant because it's so important, this is true as long as you keep a backup file "just in case.")

3. Kat786

Kat786 New Member

Thanks But..

Everytime I try to reinstall it a thingy pops up saying

A problem occured when trying to tranfer the file 'TSData\Res\Sound\SfxK1. package' from the media
    Do you wwant to retry to copy the file, or cancel the installation:hissyfit:

4. Kat786

Kat786 New Member

Manager Josh HELP!!

I cant install my game i reinstalled it bc someone said it would stop freezing but now it pops up something like try and recopy or cancel installation:cry: :mad:

5. KatAnubis

Kat, I merged the threads so that everyone is on the same page. I'll ping Josh to come look at this, but frankly he's not the only one around. (It's just not my bailiwick once someone has the "missing parts" problem.)

Try to keep the problem in one thread, rather than making a new one as soon as something in the process changes. It just works better that way.

6. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Benevolent Dictator Staff Member

Is your CD scratched Kat?

7. Kat786

Kat786 New Member

Manager Josh

My cd isnt scratched and I am really sad bc I really wanna play Maybe it is because I saved it on wrong file. Maybe I should try saving it in with Sims 2 file. Will it hurt it?

8. KatAnubis

Are you trying to install the game to a drive other than your C Drive?

9. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

Kat check out the remedies in my Frequently Asked Questions. See the FAQs linked in my signature below. Look especially for the advice about uninstalling and also look for the advice about making back-ups of saved games and downloads here

10. Kat786

Kat786 New Member

KatAnubis

Yes i am installing it on c drive

11. Kat786

Kat786 New Member

Manager Josh!!!!!

Oh no! Now my EA games file is gone and I cant download anything!!!!!!!

12. Kat786

Kat786 New Member

uh... what does it mean it confuses mah

13. Kat786

Kat786 New Member

Heeeeeellllllppppppppp!!

I REALLY WANNA PLAY HELP ME!!:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

14. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Benevolent Dictator Staff Member

Kat,

We're just all volunteers on this site and we just all contribute what we can and unfortunately we don't live here. We will try our best to get to answer your questions as fast as we can unfortunately we may not always be available to answer immediately. Please be patient and not post continously in hopes of gaining our attention.

My best advice at this moment is to start off clean. That means going back and deleting any residual files of The Sims 2.

Please refer to the following sites:

http://support.ea.com/cgi-bin/ea.cf...2VhcmNoX3RleHQ9dW5pbnN0YWxs&p_li=&p_topview=1
    http://support.ea.com/cgi-bin/ea.cf...2VhcmNoX3RleHQ9dW5pbnN0YWxs&p_li=&p_topview=1

After that, please reboot your computer.

Please note what you are about to attempt is considered highly risky and dangerous. Please double check all actions before performing them.

15. KatAnubis

One of our SMs is having a problem re-installing her games (after she was having some problems and wanted to not have an EP on her machine.) She says that even though it's not supposed to happen, something in her operating system which was needed by this game but not others like Guild Wars got deleted when she did a standard uninstall. She still hasn't gotten it worked out, although she's even had direct help from the Maxoids.

But the first step with any of the install problems is to look through the FAQ and the links that MJ provided you.