Troubleshooting [S:LS] Install refuses to run: 'Directx9.0c required'

Discussion in 'The Sims 2' started by Vchat20, Feb 13, 2007.

1. Vchat20

Vchat20 New Member

[S:LS] Install refuses to run: 'Directx9.0c required'

Hi there. Long time no chat for a good majority of you here. ;)

Anywho, I recently picked up a copy of Sims: Life Stories here (well, actually, it's my cousin's copy that I'm borrowing to check out for the time being since she doesn't have a dvd-rom in her machine yet. I'm supposed to go put a new one in sometime this week for her.) and unfortunately I can't even get the installer started on here. After entering the cd key and accepting the EULA, it throws me an error message saying directx 9.0c is required and quits the installer on me:
    [​IMG]

Now here's the funny thing: This is a fresh install of xp sp2 as of Thursday, February 8th, 2007 with all the updates and every driver up to spec including graphics. Here's my specs btw:

Inspiron 1200 (laptop)
    1.4Ghz Celeron M (1MB L2 Cache. 400Mhz FSB rated. Some apps have read it off as a P:M proc, who knows. CPU-Z and the Bios seem to believe it's a Celeron M, so I'll leave it at that.)
    1.25GB RAM (256MB on motherboard, 1GB pc-3200 corsair. All reading as running at 166Mhz)
    120GB 5400RPM 2.5" Samsung drive w/8MB cache (currently at just above 80GB free this moment.)
    Intel 915GM graphics w/128MB shared ram (latest driver as of late January 2007 is installed right now.)
    Onboard Sigmatel C-Major Audio
    24x DVD/CD-RW Combo Drive
    15" built in LCD, 1024x768x60hz native res.

Once again, this is a fresh install of XP SP2 here. All updates installed, drivers up to date to the latest available versions, and most importantly: DirectX SHOULD be up to date. I have ran the latest web installer from early February about a half dozen times and nothing has changed. And dxdiag reads all good as well.

Kinda bugs me that it does this because even TS2 has installed fine on here and runs without a hitch save for some minor sluggishness depending on where I have the graphics settings at. You would almost assume that from EA's advertising AND minimum system requirements, S:LS would run fine, if not better, than TS2. Though I would almost hazard to guess it's buggy code of EA's somewhere along the line considering how much reports there have been of various DX9.0c error messages right here on this board alone for TS2. That is unless I'm missing something painfully obvious here, though I'm fairly confident I covered every possible nook and cranny of the problem.

Any help in narrowing down the culprit of this dilemma is appreciated because I am fresh out of ideas save for giving up on the whole thing and not even bothering.

2. staypuft13

staypuft13 New Member

yep, I'm having the same problem. And when I try to reinstall directX 9.0c, I get an error doing that also.