SimCity 4 Sim City4 hangs up with NVidia 7600 card

Discussion in 'SimCity Legacy' started by bcohen648, Mar 19, 2010.

1. bcohen648

bcohen648 New Member

Sim City4 hangs up with NVidia 7600 card

I was running Sim City4 ok with an ATI card and then I changed it for a Nvidia GeForce7600.
    Now I get to the screen with all the cities and it hangs up and eventually my computer crashes. Tried lowering the settings on the card, but still the same. I have latest drivers for the graphics card and installed the patch for SC4.
    Someone else has a similar problem(found it with Google) but can't find it on this site.

2. swmeek

swmeek I got your benevolent dictator pal!!

Did you already have Nvidia drivers installed once before when you first switched and did you just copy the newer drivers over those or did you do a complete new install of drivers?
    Did you make sure your power supply was capable of handling the card before you installed it?
    What was the ATI card you had before this?
    Is this an AGP or PCI-express card?
    Make sure the power connections are all hooked up.
    I would suggest you download Driver Sweeper and use it to remove any and all traces of any Nvidia drivers and ATI display drivers (not chipset drivers , you'll know what I mean when you run the program)
    When you install the driver after cleaning the system I would suggest you either turn off your anti-virus or install the driver in safe mode.
    Have you tried this card with any other games by chance?

3. bcohen648

bcohen648 New Member

I did not have any NVidia drivers before. I downloaded the latest version. The ATI card was a Radeon 9200, 128MB. SC4 worked fine with this. Only changed graphics cards to do work with video editing and needed more RAM. The new card is AGP, same as ATI, 256MB, and has an auxiliary power connection. I will try it with the anti-virus program off.
    Haven't tried any other games yet.

4. swmeek

If it does it with other games I would suggest you download some kind of gpu monitoring software like gpu-z or real temp and make sure the fan is working and keeping the card cooled off.
    Try running it while you game and as soon as it crashes open the program and see what your gpu temperature is/was running at.
    By newer driver which exact version are you using?
    There was an issue with one of the later drivers that was keeping the fan on the video card from working.
    If the fan doesn't/didn't work it could cause the computer to crash or at least crash back to the desktop.

5. Flameback777

Flameback777 Josh's Servant Staff Member

Define "computer crashes". Does just the game freeze? Does the system freeze and you have to hit the reset button? Does the computer automatically restart itself?

6. bcohen648

bcohen648 New Member

Computer locks up. Cursor moves intermittently but cannot select anything. Cannot use keyboard. Eventually(5minutes or so) PC shuts down and eventually restarts. Have sent query tto EA and hope to get an answer this week. Might just replace graphics card with original ATI Radeon.

7. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Benevolent Dictator Staff Member

I'm personally confused. Do you have an nVidia Card or ATI Card??

8. swmeek

They're using an Nvidia card right now!