Simcity – Teaching Local Goverments And Civics

Discussion in 'SimCity Legacy' started by Judhudson, May 14, 2010.

1. Judhudson

Judhudson is a Hi-Tech Redneck

Simcity – Teaching Local Goverments And Civics

Good read incoming.* If it were any other game I’d be like “The government using games to solve and teach them about their problems? Nonsense!”* Come to think of it, I’d bet George Bush Jr. would have bankrupt their city before starting they even populate the first lot! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I’ve been using the game SimCity 3000 with my grade 6 class to enhance and compliment their local government unit in social studies.* They have been learning all about decision making, balancing the wants and needs of citizens, lobby groups, and government responsibilities.

Government isn’t always the most dynamic unit, but SimCity brings it to life.* The students get to make the decisions, build and maintain services, and respond to the questions and demands of citizens in their town.* They get instant feedback for the decisions that they implement as they see how citizens react to spending and policy decisions.

A simulation environment allows students to experiment and try with different approaches and strategies. They immediately see the consequences of their decisions or lack of decision making. The students were enthralled by being able to be in control of a government and make choices. One student was even fired as the mayor – others flourished and had statues built in their honour.

I used an older version of the game. Simcity 3000 is a 1999 release. The newer versions of SimCity 4, SimCity Societies and SimCity Creator for the DS and various other consoles are also fantastic games. I choose the earlier version so the students could focus on developing services and responding to the needs to citizens without all of the “extras.” * The more complex the game, the more it can get away from the heart of the decision making process, which was what I want the students in my classroom to experience.

Watch the students talk about what they are doing and see some of the problems they have to solve.

Read More and