SimCity 4 Simcity 4 deluxe version crashes when loading a city

Discussion in 'SimCity Legacy' started by paulpur, Apr 4, 2009.

1. paulpur

paulpur New Member

Simcity 4 deluxe version crashes when loading a city

Hi folks, had a quick look around but couldnt find anyone with the exact same problem.
    Ive got simcity 4 deluxe version and its been patched to version 1.1.638.0 , the game installed all Ok and (eg sound, graphics etc all ok) i played initially after install and saved my city, but whenever i try to load my saved city it just crashes to desktop, ive included the top part of the error log below... anyone know anything i can do to solve this problem please??

this happened before i applied the patch as well as after i applied the patch ,btw the intro and everything goes ok with sound and graphics not an issue) , my current graphics card is a Geforce Go 7300 and im running Windows xp sp3 , any help would be appreciated as i couldnt play and enjoy the game if i had to start a brand new city each time i wanted to play.
    thanks

Exception time: 04/04/2009, at 16:01:45.
    Exception code: 0xC0000005 (-1073741819) ACCESS_VIOLATION.
    Current thread ID: 3600 (0x00000e10).
    Version information:
    Application/module path: C:\Program Files\Maxis\SimCity 4 Deluxe\Apps\SimCity 4.exe
    Application/module version name: SimCity 4
    Application/module version: 1.1.638.0
    System version: Windows NT 5.1
    System memory: 2048 Megabytes total, 1276 Megabytes free.

Exception module: C:\Program Files\Maxis\SimCity 4 Deluxe\Apps\SimCity 4.exe.
    Exception address: 0x006ea07a. Section:Offset: 0x01:0x002e307a.

Registers
    EAX: 00000014
    EBX: 0aba75b4
    ECX: 09a5df14
    EDX: 09b66814
    ESI: 0a912dd4
    EDI: 00000000
    CS:EIP: 001b:006ea07a
    SS:ESP: 0023:0012e6d0 EBP:0012e71c
    DS:0023 ES:0023 FS:003b GS:0000
    Flags: 00210206

2. swmeek

swmeek I got your benevolent dictator pal!!

If it were me I would blame it on the crappy video chipset you have.
    The 7300 are especially weak and the GO versions are even worse.
    It would help if you would post your dxdiag results so we can get a better idea of your system specs.
    Click start and click run and type in dxdiag.
    Let it run and at the bottom look for the save all info button.
    Do that and save it somewhere you can easily find it.
    Right mouse click it and click send to a compressed (zipped) folder and attach that with your reply.

3. paulpur

paulpur New Member

View attachment 7088
    Hi Swmeek ,thanks for the reply ...ive attached the dxdiag results as requested
    thanks

Attached Files:

4. swmeek

Well Paul I've not played the game in some time and can't recall the actual specs for the game but I would think besides the weak video chipset you have it should work on the lower settings.
    You might go in and turn the video settings all down to the minimum level and try it then.
    When you play the game do you just play it only or do you run a few other programs at the same time?
    If you are try turning off everything and just play the game.
    By this I mean unplug the internet , turn off your firewall,anti-virus and spyware detector.
    You might also go to the laptop's manufacturer and download the latest chipset drivers they have available and reinstall them with a clean install.
    Don't reinstall over the old drivers or you could have problems and don't install with your anti-virus turned on.
    By a clean install I mean uninstall the old drivers, defragment your hard drive and then reinstall the new drivers.
    Usually on my pc I do it like this:
    Download the newest drivers for my video card, uninstall the old drivers,restart the computer and while it's booting up press F8 to boot into Safe Mode,(don't hold the button down or it won't recognize it just keep tapping the key) once in safe mode empty the recycle bin, (at this point I run a program called Driver Sweeper see below) go into the start menu/all programs/accessories/system tools and run disk clean up, then run your disk defragmenter program in there unless you have one of the better ones like AusLogics Disk Defrag .
    I also use a program called Driversweeper to remove any unneccessary video drivers from the operating system that tend to get corrupted and cause different problems too but I don't know how your laptop's video drivers are setup.
    You could still try the program and clean up some space on your hard drive also.
    You can find it here http://downloads.guru3d.com/Guru3D---Driver-Sweeper-(Setup)_d1655.html
    Once I've done that I defrag and then install the new driver and restart the computer.
    If your laptop is getting overheated it could cause it to crash like this.
    You might try seeing that all the vents and stuff are dust free and/or try using a laptop cooler if it is overheating.
    If you're playing it on your lap or on a carpeted floor while you game try moving it up on a table and point a small fan at it to where it can force some cool air into the vents.
    If none of this helps you , you might go over to www.simtropolis.com and look through there as they're alot more SimCity dedicated than most other sites (no disrespect guys) .

5. paulpur

paulpur New Member

thanks again for the reply swmeek , ive tried most of all the above you suggested , as well as a fresh install of the actual game, the game itself plays with no issues or crashes .....the only problem i have is that once ive saved my city after the 1st time of playing it that i cant exit the game and load my city as it crashes, it isnt random crashes either during gameplay , but crashes EVERY time i try to load my city from the save file.

6. swmeek

It sounds like something is corrupting the file in some way.
    How long have you had the laptop?
    A failing hard drive might be the problem but that's just a guess .
    You might try a program called HD Tach which can tell you if you're hard drive might be going bad.
    Again you might try the Simtropolis forums too.

7. Earthquake

Earthquake New Member

Hi Paulpur,

I don't think it is an hardware problem or has something to do with your XP. I guess it is a bug in sim city.

I have the same problem, but only for 1 city file. All the others work fine. Everytime I open the city I can see the city for 1 second and then it crashes.

Have you find a solution yet?

I Have a core2duo, 1Gb, GMA950

8. Earthquake

Earthquake New Member

I solved my problem.

It might be hardware related after all (video card).

I set my video settings in the region to the lowest settings and restarted Simcity 4. I then could open my city and resave it. I set the video settings back to the previous settings (MMLLHH) and then I could load the city again.