SimFileMaid

Discussion in 'The Sims 2' started by Jakethedane, Nov 28, 2007.

1. Jakethedane

Jakethedane Man of the world

2. Leticron

Leticron New Member

3. Jakethedane

Right, so I downloaded the RoboMaid. tried to run the game, but an error occured(surprise). I needed to download a specific version of .NET Framework. So I did, and it still doesnt work.
    Any ideas, coz Im about to go burn all my discs.

4. Leticron

Leticron New Member

What kind of error did you get, Jake??
    In the worst case, you could try 7zip to unpack the RAR files manually.
    Or you just get the shareware trial version of Winrar

-le

5. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

Yeesh! Jake, do what Le suggests. Get Winrar or 7zip. Filemaid is poorly supported (the walkthru is the one made for TS1, for heavenssakes!)

If you all you want is the ability to open RAR files, then getting the file maid is like buying an ice cream van as your only car because you sometimes fancy an ice cream.

6. Jakethedane

I will do as suggested, thanks. And sorry for my idotic question. I am sorry I come on to you as a fool, but maybe it has something to do with the fact, that all the versions of the simfilerobot I was told to get, was either corrupted or everyone recommended I got SimFileMaid.

7. Jakethedane

Hi Le.

The error I got, was one that said, that I needed a Netframe version so and so to get the program to run. So I did. From Windows. The excact version. Installed it and then it turned out, that it didnt work. But never mind, I will try that 7zip instead. Thanks, Le. Oh, and I guess I need the 4.42 version? The 4.56 is a beta?

8. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

Oops, sorry, Jake. I did not intend you to think I was criticising you. I was just trying to be emphatic in my support for Le's advice ... that and the fact that I like to go overboard in my metaphors ... :rolleyes:

9. Jakethedane

Mirelly: Dont worry, im just psychin you:)
    But seriously. I need the 4.42 version of 7zip, right? As the 4.56 is a beta? So far I am doing ok, downloading only zipfiles - I have a ziptool of some sort - but the thing is, I really would like all these cool downloads from The simsresources and 4eversimfantasy and modthesims. They use rar-files a lot.
    But the good news is, that I am getting pretty darn good at building houses myself! Check my uploads on the uploads page at...cant find the link....its there somewhere....well, the site that is directly affiliated with this one.

10. Leticron

Leticron New Member

with 7zip you normally can load the latest BETA without worries...but just to stay on the safe site (seeing how you seem to be having a lot of bad luck lately)
    get the 4.42..they both can unpack RAR archives (among almost all other archive formats imaginable ;)

-le

11. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

Actually, although I am a big fan of open source software I found 7zip was sometimes reluctant, if not completely unable, to open some RAR archives. I never found out why. :(

12. Leticron

Leticron New Member

That is relatively easy to explain, if you followed the ways of Winrar, Mirelly
    Over time Alexander Roshal (=Winrar programmer) optimized the compress algorithms several times. That's why there are so many sub-versions of Winrar. Obviously former versions can't handle a newly introduced algo...
    No surpise that 7zip can't open them if even former Winrar versions give up :) :)
    (and that's where the 7zip BETAS come in)
    Another alternative would be Alzip a nice little Freeware fom Korea with the same problems for the same reasons...it kept telling me, the archive was corrupted while the latest Winrar unpacked them without a problem.
    It all depends, which version has been used to create a package.

-le

13. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

Ah, but I said I never found out why, not that I did not understand. Thank you confirming what I suspected. You have now confirmed that what I suspected was, in fact, the case.

Winrar is misleading name because it implies some sort of native support within the Windows OS. There was a time when RAR archives had some sort of point to them, being significantly more compact than the ZIP compression. It was obviously useful when 56 kps connections were the best available and when a 1.44 MB floppy was the largest (cheap) portable file storage device. Nowadays size is much less important as a consideration and so there is considerably less need for a choice in file compression utilities.

It seems to me that a large number of those who promote/endorse
    RAR seem more to be pre-occupied with the techno-kudos of being geekily "in" and, in so doing, to use it more as a device with which nerds intimidate the less savvy.

I also deeply suspect that a lot of those unopenable RAR files have not been made with a licensed copy of Winrar, but with some beta version or other of an open source or freeware compression utility. Furthermore I wonder how many users of Winrar have actually paid for it ... but then I'd be off on another tack. I am constantly shocked by the immense breadth of market penetration seemingly achieved by Adobe with its fabulous Photoshop ... Mr Adobe must be almost as rich as Bill Gates .... :rolleyes:

14. Jakethedane

I see there are two different opinions on which is the best. I use to have Simfilemaid, because it could open all the files I needed in the game. Even some of the newest I downloaded, only weeks ago.

As you both are aware of by now, I have had some bad luck in the whole downloads area, as well as problems running the game. I completed all those install, bought more rams and deleted the entire game. When I started it up again, all was fine. So naturally I was right back to my old mischiefs and was downloading left and right. I found out, that the game crashes, not if I have zip-files or rar-files, but it depends on how old they are.

It reminds me of a game I used to have for my first computer. It was the first Need for Speed for pc, and when I updated to a new pc, I wanted to play the game on that. But it couldnt because the software in the game was obsolete, comparing to the newer system. This is a similar case. As a test, I went to Mod the sims and found a specific item, I have suspected earlier to be the cause of the game crash. I organized my folders and then downloaded that one item. Sure enough, the game crashed. The problem was, that it is a zip-file and from a creator that is really well-known. So it was quite a shame to have to delete that item.

Now all new downloads are recorded to my notebook, and carefully placed in a specific folder. This leaves me with only a program to unzip the rar-files with. Ill try the 7zip.