Troubleshooting Sims 2 and Pets running trouble

Discussion in 'The Sims 2' started by flowerpower1, Mar 27, 2007.

1. flowerpower1

flowerpower1 New Member

Sims 2 and Pets running trouble

Hi, I have been trying for days to get my Sims 2 and sims 2 pets to work.
    The Sims 2 works fine on it's own. When I install Sims 2 Pets it goes to the splash screen and then back to my desktop with nothing happening. I do not get any error messages or anything, it just does not work. The game is a DVD-rom version. All drivers for the video and sound card have been updated. The firmware for the cd/dvd rom has been updated. I have sent and recieved numerous emails to EA support trying everything they suggest, but to no avail.

My computer is as follows:-
    Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.061219-0316)
    Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
    System Manufacturer: KT400_
    System Model: AWRDACPI
    BIOS: Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG
    Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2000+, MMX, 3DNow, ~1.7GHz
    Memory: 768MB RAM
    Page File: 258MB used, 1619MB available
    Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
    DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
    DX Setup Parameters: Not found
    DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.2180 32bit Unicode

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce FX 5500
    Manufacturer: NVIDIA
    Chip type: GeForce FX 5500
    DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
    Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0326&SUBSYS_00000000&REV_A1
    Display Memory: 256.0 MB
    Current Mode: 800 x 600 (32 bit) (60Hz)
    Monitor: Plug and Play Monitor
    Monitor Max Res: 1600,1200
    Driver Name: nv4_disp.dll
    Driver Version: 6.14.0010.9371 (English)
    DDI Version: 9 (or higher)
    Driver Attributes: Final Retail
    Driver Date/Size: 10/22/2006 12:22:00, 4527488 bytes
    WHQL Logo'd: Yes

------------
    Description: Realtek AC97 Audio
    Default Sound Playback: Yes
    Default Voice Playback: Yes
    Hardware ID: PCI\VEN_1106&DEV_3059&SUBSYS_A0021458&REV_50
    Manufacturer ID: 1
    Product ID: 100
    Type: WDM
    Driver Name: ALCXWDM.SYS
    Driver Version: 5.10.0000.6230 (English)

I really hope someone can help, as this is driving me mad :mad:
    Thanks.

2. flowerpower1

flowerpower1 New Member

Hi again,
    I have checked the similar threads, but none seem to have the same problem that I am having. Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks.

3. Mirelly

Mirelly Active Member

OK. Do you mean that the Pets EP will not install or that it does install but will not load.

Your computer looks adequate enough to me. The 256MB 5500 is a reasonable mid-range sort of display card.

You might want to get the latest drivers from that Realtek sound card http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads...=23&Level=4&Conn=3&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false
    because I have seen sound card conflicts causing start up problems before now ... although those have been with Creative Audigy cards ... worth a try anyway.)

Let us know how it it goes. We might get more ideas .... :)

4. Leticron

Leticron New Member

I suppose he can't even install
    and in that case it might be a faulty CD (but why doesn't he get any errors??)
    You could try to copy the CD to some Harddrive on your computer and start the installation from there while the CD is still in its drive (during a copy installation, disc access is handled differently by Windows, so at least you would get information aboud unreadable sectors.
    On another note: AFAIK Pets was never released on DVD
    if its some kind of a "homebrew"(which would explain the weird behaviour)...that simply doesn't work like that

-le

[PS By Mirelly. It might be a regional thing. I have the Pets EP on DVD]

5. flowerpower1

flowerpower1 New Member

Thanks for your replies. Pets 2 appears to load and install without any problems. It is only when I try to play it that it goes to the Pets 2 splash screen, then back to my desktop. The computer does not crash, it still works and there are no error messages coming up. I installed Sims 2 and Pets 2 on a friends computer and it worked fine, so the disks must be ok. I have samsung combo-304B cd/dvd reader, could this be the problem?
    I will try updating the driver for the sound card - thought I already had though - but will check it out.
    As mentioned before Sims 2 works fine, it is onloy when Pets is installed that it all goes wrong!
    I am actually trying to sort this out for my daughter, not me, she had the games for her birthday back at the end of Feb, and I have been trying ever since to sort it out!!
    A fathers love eh?

6. flowerpower1

flowerpower1 New Member

Hi Leticron, I copied the disk to a folder in My Docs, and when I autoran it from there, it did exactly the same thing. My sound driver is dated March 2007, can't get much more upto date than that.
    The Sims 2 and Pets 2 were sold in the Uk as a 2 disk package, bought from Woolworths. On the front top left corner both cases have "PC - DVD Rom - only DVD compatible". Any other ideas?

7. Leticron

Leticron New Member

tell me about it..60% of my time on computers at home I spent to find stuff for my kids...or should I say fix stuff they messed up *LOL*
    If your game crashes, does it still run in the background or does it just close completely?? (check the taskmanager, if Sims2EP4.exe is still in the tasklist)
    It could always be some interference with other running programs. Firewalls beeing the most prominent in my experience...Example:my FW used to tell me about Sims "trying to intercept the keyboard interrupt, which is perfectly normal for a game (they usually have their own keyboard routines, only if the little window doesn't come up for some reason, you can't click "OK" and your game appears frozen.
    as a test: try to kill everything you don't need running before you start Sims (you'd be amazed ho little is really necessary...even explorer isn't needed:)

have you ever tried to start the base game (sims2.exe?) instead?

8. flowerpower1

flowerpower1 New Member

Checked on the task manager, and it is not running in the background after the game crashes, in fact when I leave the task manager window up and click on the Sims pets 2 icon to auto run the game, nothing comes up in task manager at all. The sims 2 base game comes up with 'insert correct dvd-rom etc'.
    I have disabled the firewall, still nothing.
    I am gong to try a full uninstall and then re-install with no anti-virus, no firewalls and the minimum background programs running to see if this helps.
    I will let you know what happens.
    Thanks.

9. flowerpower1

flowerpower1 New Member

Nope, still doesn't work!!

10. Leticron

Leticron New Member

Strange..I'm slowly running out of options as well...
    Try to start the game directly (go the folder, where you installes Pets an there in the TSBIN folder you'll find Sims2EP4.exe...which should then show up in the Tasklist (just to rule out Window problems with shortcuts)
    I guess the goal now is, to find the differences between your computer and your friend's (where the discs worked just fine)
    Since a clean Install didn't help I think we should start to look into Windows itself as a culprit....You see I start fishing in muggy waters already ;)

11. flowerpower1

flowerpower1 New Member

Hiya,
    Here is a comparison between the two computers:-

Friends PC My PC
    1) Intel pentium 4 3.0GHz (2CPUs) AMD Athlon XP2000 1.7GHz
    2) 1022MB RAM 768MB RAM
    3) Windows XP home Windows XP professional
    4) 126 GB 25.9 GB
    5) 145 GB 38.2 GB (seems a strange amount)
    6) Direct X 9.0c Direct X 9.0c
    7) Radeon X600 NVIDIA GeFORCE FX5500
    8) 6.14.0010.6601 - 09/02/2006 6.14.0010.9371 - 22/10/2006
    9) 256 MB 256 MB

Tried running Pets2 from the saved location and nothing happens, and also nothing in task manager. Uninstalled Pets2 and then ran Sims2 and it works and shows up in the task manager. Borrowing daughter's friends Pets2 disc tomorrow to see if that makes any difference. Talk to you soon, and thanks for your help todate.

12. dangerousgem

dangerousgem New Member

A lot of people were having problems with their cd or dvd drives, try updating your drivers for those. also it wouldn't hurt to give your registry a clean, if you don't have a registry cleaner theres a lot of free ones around, try doing a search for Just Registry.

13. Leticron

Leticron New Member

as already stated by mirelly, your computer should be able to run Sims2 without any problems...I myself run it on even lower specs: Athlon XP1700 (~1400MHz) with 768MB RAM on WinXP Prof. Graphics:Geforce MX 440 (which is definitely low end,but for my ATI 1600X (512MB) the computer is just not powerful enough.
    What seems very odd to me is the fact, that Sims2EP4.exe doesn't even show up in your tasklist....as it should...perhaps really a copyprotection/drive-read error.
    let's hope the borrowed CD works..

14. flowerpower1

flowerpower1 New Member

hallejua!!! I have just bought a new external dvd drive and now at long last the game works!! Thank you for all your help, and a big thanks from my daughter as well. Stay well all of you.
    By the way, I hope you can read this as it is all back to front on my comoputer, I thought it was a foreign language to start with!

15. Leticron

Leticron New Member

I'm glad it finally works for you...It had to be some sort of faulty Hardware or Driver, since we eliminated most of the other probabilities
    Like Sherlock Holmes used to say if you eliminate all other possibilities, the one left must be what happened, no matter how strange it looks (or something like that...it's been a while since I visited Baker Street 74a;)

as for the reversed screen....it's April 1st...I expected some stuff like that.
    Now Iat least know my nick backwards *LOL*
    norciteL ;)

16. nikki146

nikki146 New Member

Hey flowerpower1 I know what you mean my computer did the same thing i thought that ifi got a different game other than Sims 2 Pets it would work like Sims 2 Open for business i spent most of my money on that game and it did the same thing this just blows.

17. shortliljackers

shortliljackers New Member

Hi,

I just bought University today and am having the same exact problem! There were no glitches during the installation, everything went smoothly, but when I tried to play it it would never run. I've tried searching everywhere online today and haven't found any help. I read this thread, but didn't really understand what the person who had the same problem did to fix it. If anyone has a solution, please let me know, it's driving me crazy!!

Here's my computer information...hope I included everything important:

Operating System: Windows Vista Home Premium (6.0, Build 6000)
    Language: English
    System Manufacturer: Sony Corporation
    System Model: VGN-N250E
    BIOS: Phoenix NoteBIOS 4.0 Release 6.1
    Processor: Genuine Intel(R) CPU T2250 @ 1.73GHz (2 CPUs), ~ 1.7GHz
    Memory: 1014MB RAM
    Page File: 1106MB used, 1175MB available
    DirectX Version: DirectX 10

Card name: Mobile Intel(R) 945GM Express Chipset Family
    Manufacturer: Intel Corporation
    Chip type: Intel(R) GMA 950
    DAC type: Internal
    Display Memory: 224 MB
    Current Mode: 1280 x 800 (32 bit) (60Hz)
    Monitor: Generic PnP Monitor
    Driver Name: igdumd32.dll
    Driver Version: 7.14.0010.1114
    Driver Date/Size: 11/14/2006...didn't see size displayed anywhere.

OH, and I have the Sims 2 DVD version and Open for Business already installed on my computer.

Thanks for any help!

18. dangerousgem

dangerousgem New Member

She bought herself a new DVD drive and installed it on her pc. You should try updating your driver for your dvd drive first though as it may be a cheaper fix. If you have a different drive try using your game disk in there and see if it still does the same thing.