Troubleshooting Sims 2 freezes then crashes during splash screen

Discussion in 'The Sims 2' started by UncleSteve, Oct 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. UncleSteve

UncleSteve New Member

Sims 2 freezes then crashes during splash screen

P4 2.8 800mhz w/HT
    Abit IC7 Motherboard with Intel 875 chipset
    2GB RAM 266mhz
    7.89GB free on game drive 37GB total
    37.8GB free on C drive (OS drive) 68.3 total
    ATI All-In-Wonder Pro 9700 8x AGP video card w/128MB memory
    Driver version: 6.14.10.6476 Dated: 8/25/2004
    DirectX 9.0c (I ran dxdiag, all tests run, no problems reported)
    Windows XP Pro w/sp2 (firewall and antivirus disabled)
    But I do have a D-Link router with firewall and Computer Associates eTrust EZ Antivirus (but I tried running game with AV turned off)
    Sims 2 CD version
    Whether I load the program by inserting the CD and letting autorun start it, or if I double click desktop icon I get the same result: The Sims 2 splash screen displays for several minutes, the CD drive lights and flashes several times and then eventually I get the standart windows dialoge box asking if I want to send an error message to MS (I've sent the error at least once). When I click on the "To see what data this error report contains." button I see:Error signature
    AppName: sims2.exe AppVer: 1.0.0.932 ModName: ~df394b.tmp

ModVer: 0.0.0.0 Offset: 0008e86b

It may seem as though I know what I'm talking about, but I haven't a clue what the above means. I've tried all the suggestions I've seen posted here and a few I didn't see here including: a clean boot with all startup programs and services (except MS services) disabled Tried once with even MS services disabled. I checked, D/Led and installed the latest drivers (reflected in system details above) from the ATI web site. I've tried all the compatablity modes.
    I've about run out of ideas, if there's additional info that I didn't include which would be usefull please reply to this post or email me.
    I'm desperate, I'd really like to play this game and I'm relatively sure calling Maxis or EA would be a frustrating waste of time.
    Please Help!

2. ManagerJosh

ManagerJosh Benevolent Dictator Staff Member

Hey Steve, try setting the game into compatibilty mode and see what happens.

3. UncleSteve

UncleSteve New Member

I tried compatablity modes

I've tried all the settings and all combinations of settings under compatablity mode. My problem sounds a lot like some of the other posts I've read here. About the only thing I didn't mention in my original post was that I have a Sony DRU-510A (I have D/Led and applied the firmware update available from Sony). I wonder if that could be a common issue with the others having trouble.

4. Cyricc

Cyricc Goblin Techies

Find a no-cd crack somewhere and try running the game with it. Does it work then?

5. norris_309

norris_309 New Member

Hi i don't know if you've sorted your Sims2 problem out,
    But i had exactly the same problem as you are getting, clicking on the Sims.exe loads up splash screen & stays there for a few minutes with the cd light on (which looks like it's doing something) then the error message.
    After trying several things such as gfx card drivers etc... i found that it was the actual CD drive not running it (strangely, as it installed from that drive)
    I have 3 cd drives in my pc:
    TDK Cyclone 24x cd/rw
    Hitachi 12x DVD-rom
    Pioneer 8x DVD+-rw

Neither the TDK nore Hitachi drive would run the game (both older drives)
    But when i tried the Fairly new Pioneer dvd writer drive the games starts up & plays perfectly.

No my verdict is... try using a different cd/dvd drive if you can get hold of one.

Hope this helps (i know how frustrating it is!!!)

Cheers

6. UncleSteve

UncleSteve New Member

That worked

Thanks a ton! That did the trick!!

7. MKEMP1

MKEMP1 New Member

Same Problem

I have the same problem. I tried using all three of my cd/dvd drives and no help. My newest drive is a week old. I tried loading a no cd hack and the game plays but you can't use build mode without the cd. Any help would be appreciated.

:confused:

8. Cyricc

Cyricc Goblin Techies

In that case, a solution would be to download a "Mini-Image" somewhere and mount it using something like Daemon Tools. I don't think I can say much more than that..

9. athina_livadi

athina_livadi New Member

I have the same problem guys and it doesn't seem to work. It used to work fine but now the game crashes after the appearance of the Sims2 logo. I have one CD-recorder driver and one DVD-recorder driver, none of the two runs the game now. The installation is perfect but the game doesn't run.
    I have downloaded a no-cd exe and the game runs but the built mode doesn't work.
    I think that if my pc had a problem the no-cd exe wouldn't run either. I don't know what to do. All the other games that I have in my pc run perfectly.
    I would appreciate a helping hand in here.

10. athina_livadi

athina_livadi New Member

Here is my system status if it helps you to help me.
    My dixdiag file is attached to my post.

Attached Files:

11. Kristalrose

Kristalrose Wakey-Wakey!

No CD-Cracks are considered Piracy and not allowed at WorldSims. I don't know why no one did this previously, but I need to close this thread. athina_livadi, I understand that you are not using a no-CD crack, and I'm sorry to do this to you while you were asking a question. Why don't you start a new thread and post your DX dialog and your computer specs there, and we'll be happy to try to help you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.